Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing of vintage hat stretchers?

tm3

Familiar Face
i've been looking at vintage hat stretchers on ebay (supposedly the old ones are better than the "hat jacks" available new as the front and back sections are taller) and i'm seeing what i think is a size on the stretchers, such as 6 3/4.

does that mean that 6 3/4 is the maximum size the stretcher will expand to? or something else?

thanks!

barrowjh

One Too Many
The size you see on those vintage stretchers is the minimum. The disadvantage to those vintage stretchers - if you are stretching a 7 1/2 to 7 5/8, the straight section between the two halves causes a sort of long oval effect, or extra long oval. I notice that on some sites selling new stretchers you can get new stretchers that start out at a minimum of, say, 7 1/2 - more breadth in the curve of the halves and less of a long oval effect. The disadvantage of new - you already spotted - they are shallow and do not match up with a nice wide sweatband. In addition, many (most) vintage stretchers were built with a rail on each side - the wood blocks remain aligned even when extended. On many of the newer ones, you need about 3 or 4 hands just to get it straight in the hat as you begin to apply it, as one end is always twisting out of line.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
barrowjh said:
On many of the newer ones, you need about 3 or 4 hands just to get it straight in the hat as you begin to apply it, as one end is always twisting out of line.

I knew there was something about mine that I didn't like. I have taken to using my favorite wood block, instead of the hat jack.

mingoslim

Practically Family
I own a new hat jack . . .

And four vintage stretchers . . . I will take the vintage every single time.
If you look around, you will find large sized models. I have a couple of 7s a 7 1/4 and even a 7 3/8.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hiya,

mingoslim said:
And four vintage stretchers . . . I will take the vintage every single time.
If you look around, you will find large sized models. I have a couple of 7s a 7 1/4 and even a 7 3/8.

I can't recall having seen a vintage hat stretcher in any antique shop anywhere ever. Much less one that'd do some good for a fathead like me (7 5/8). :whistling

But I'll be in your general neck of the woods round about Christmas. Frankfort and Lexington KY, to be exact, perhaps a mere 100 or 150 miles from you. Maybe the pickings will be better back there.

Cheers,
Mark

tm3

Familiar Face
knowing the minimum, say 6 3/4, is there a way to know what the maximum will be on that particular stretcher?

i've asked a couple of the sellers and they seem clueless.

and the long oval effect would be an advantage -- i'm a long oval and on some hats it is more of a shape issue than a size issue.

thanks again!

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Here's a picture of my hat stretchers. You can see that the vintage stretchers have much beefer screws then the hat jack.
The 4 piece stretcher on the left is marked 6 3/4 and expands in width as well as length. The dark stretcher on the right is marked 7 1/4 and expands to 7 3/4.
1972819285_cf583abdf3.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I picked up a vintage hat stretcher like the bottom right one in Bob's picture. I don't think I've seen another vintage hat stretcher in my searches so I was lucky to stumble upon that one. I've put it to good use with two hats already.

It is 6 3/4" and stretches to 7 3/4". And like tm3 said, for me the long oval is a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff