Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ski Museum!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah for Maine! It's about time.
I have been to the museums in Franconia and Stowe, both are great. My ski outfit is actually an attempt at a replication of 40's/50's ladies ski gear. Except instead of itchy, gets way too wet wool, it's made of modern materials. Even before I was into vintage, I was into skiing, and especially the clothes!. If any lady is looking for some beautiful, vintage inspired ski wear, Bogner is the place to go. They made all the ski attire for the James Bond films.
Anyway, thanks for the link. I'm a New Englander, so I love going to all the different little museums up north of Boston. Their is a rich heritage there, and a lot of things happened for them during the golden era.

Alpine Glamour

New in Town
Ski Gear

I am in the process of creating my vintage ski outfit for this season. And yes, it's wool and itchy--hence the long thermal underwear. The plan this year is to master the art of "Telemark" skiing. Anybody ever try that?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
This is quite a coincidence-
I have been looking into vintage skiing and alpine attire recently.
Just yesterday, I thought;"i need to se a skiing museum".

But Maine is just too far for me.

B
T

Belly Tank - If my memory serves me well, I believe there is a skiing museum at Holmenkollen outside Oslo. A bit closer than Maine...:)

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Double post from the anorak thread, I suppose it's a better fit in this one:

Here's a place that sells skis, poles, and various equipment, but also cloth patches, repro ski posters and such: Vintage Ski World.

Also, a few links to ski museums etc:

Swiss Sport Museum
Holmenkollen Ski Museum
New England Ski Museum
Mammoth Ski Museum
Utah Alf Engen Ski Museum
Colorado Ski Museum
10th Mountain Division Living History Group
And a few others.

A few skiing posters, mostly Norwegian:

syv_dager_for_elisabeth.jpg
erling_nielsen_oslo_wintersports-we.jpg
D1993479r2.jpg

norway_home_of_skiing.jpg
norwegen_ski.jpg
norwegne_ski.jpg

schenk38.jpg
splitkein_kings_grant.jpg
splitkein380.jpg
Logwood.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have an old Trains Magazine around somewhere with a wonderful article about the Ski Train of the 1940's. It was run by B & M Railroad (Boston & Maine, right?). They had a great shot of people piling out at Franconia. The train had it's own rolling ski shop. You could rent equipment from them. Looked like loads of fun. I'll try to find it.
BTW, speaking of vintage ski fashion, the first time I saw "Sun Valley Serenade" I was shocked to see John Payne (et al) with their ski sweaters tucked in!

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
I've seen tucked-in sweaters in old skiing photographs, although the standard seems to have been untucked. The tucking would probably have been done to prevent snow from gettin in under the sweater when falling.

My own improvised version:

Korkenf.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Alpine Glamour said:
The plan this year is to master the art of "Telemark" skiing. Anybody ever try that?
My father taught me how to Telemark when I was a kid, along with Alpine and X-Country. Back country skiing wasn't as popular or accessible in the 60's so I gravitated towards Alpine but I did try it again at Whistler a few seasons ago and was surprised at how well I did and how much I remembered, after a 30+ year hiatus. It's much more technique driven that Alpine or X-County, so I imagine it would be difficult to master in a season, though having skills in the two former disciplines would help enormously in learning the latter.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Lucky Strike said:
I've seen tucked-in sweaters in old skiing photographs, although the standard seems to have been untucked. The tucking would probably have been done to prevent snow from gettin in under the sweater when falling.

The tucked-in Sweater was common enough in the '30s-'40s, so I would imagine it would have been out of the ordinary in "the Snow". Period photos do seem to support this. Keeps you warm too.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80