Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

skipper caps

kwmpa

New in Town
im looking for a high quality skipper cap....Lancaster Caps that used to make them has closed so they arent an option anyone know of any others?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
First off, Welcome to the Lounge, kwmpa!

I'm going to guess that you want Yacht Club, not U.S. Navy.

This has been a topic previously, but before Lancaster Caps went out of business. I got curious and did a few Google searches and came up with a yacht club uniform supply web site, Captain's Quarters. The cap they sell isn't a dead ringer (different chin strap) but very close. They only show the white one, but do have it in black. They do not state the material, but I'm sure they'll tell you if you ask.

Yachting_Cap.jpg

You can then purchase the device to sew on the front:

Hat_devices_web.jpg

Judging by the description the one the Skipper wore must have been the lowest rank in the club! (Member, according to the check-out choices.)

I hope this helps, and again, "Welcome aboard!"

Cheers,
Tom

Vintage Aviator

New in Town
First off, Welcome to the Lounge, kwmpa!

I'm going to guess that you want Yacht Club, not U.S. Navy.

This has been a topic previously, but before Lancaster Caps went out of business. I got curious and did a few Google searches and came up with a yacht club uniform supply web site, Captain's Quarters. The cap they sell isn't a dead ringer (different chin strap) but very close. They only show the white one, but do have it in black. They do not state the material, but I'm sure they'll tell you if you ask.

Yachting_Cap.jpg

You can then purchase the device to sew on the front:

Hat_devices_web.jpg

Judging by the description the one the Skipper wore must have been the lowest rank in the club! (Member, according to the check-out choices.)

I hope this helps, and again, "Welcome aboard!"

Cheers,
Tom

Vintage Aviator

New in Town
8BF50B48-EF37-4316-8257-EC970E41B94A.jpeg
I found a high quality Yacht Cap that replicates the Lancaster cap. In fact, I just received it this morning and I am very impressed with it. It is definitely high quality and is not a costume hat. It looks just like the hat worn by Humphrey Bogart in To Have and Have Not.

Here is their website if you are interested. BenfordYachtHat.com

Daniel

Last edited:

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
I recently purchased a yacht cap from eBay - one that is not a "crusher" style cap, like my other two are. I took the insignia off the front and aged the brim and chinstrap holders with satin black enamel paint.

20210329_081418.jpg

Attachments

• 20210329_081355.jpg
    20210329_081355.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 261
Last edited:

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
I recently bought two types of German maritime caps. One is called the "Elbsegler" and the other is known as a "Prinz Heinrich". One was bought through a seller on Amazon, the other from a seller (in Germany) on Ebay. (I can post photos once they arrive.)

I happened to be looking through images in a search on one of the caps, and came across an image of a German hatmaker with the maritime caps around him. I then searched for information regarding this hatmaker, and found this site, which some may be interested in (in German only). I was happy to find some German shipping company flags sold there - especially Norddeutscher Lloyd, since I have been buying some flag pins through ebay. These are the enamel cap insignia being sold through that site. They also offer the oak leaves for the flag as well if one wants to add that. It is a very useful resource for those interested in German maritime caps.

https://www.muetzenmacher.de/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay