Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fitting flight jackets (A-2, M422)

Edward

Bartender
Mostly been covered, but to chime in with my own experience...

Different A2 contracts all fit differently - ask the manufacturer for advice on fits. Unless you're set on a very specific contract, chances are you'd be better looking for the one that fits best rather than the other way around. Expect the Japanese stuff to be cut slim in order to flatter the slighter Japanese physique. Make sure you check actual jacket measurements rather than relying on size: one person's 42 is another's 44. In my limited experience, Aero and ELC seem to cut to "modern" sizing, in that a 42 from one of those will fit like a wartime 44. I have 42s from Aero and ELC that are a nice, neat (but not too much so) fit. I'd definitely need a 44 in a Goodwear or an original. If you are looking at the USN jackets, be aware they are often noticeably slimmer than an A2. I have an Aero AN6552 in a 42. I can wear it fine, but I could as well wear a 44 and find it fit like my 42 A2. As others have noticed, contract differences aside, there was no standard fit in WW2 issue clothing, so buy what you like and how you like it fitting.

Most of the modern A2 type jackets (i.e. non-repro) I see are cut on the baggy side. Trimmer has become more fashionable in recent years (at least over here), but these seem to be often aimed at the hip hop crowd who clearly prefer their clothes big and baggy.

I doubt you will find the Japanese A2 jackets to be sufficiently long enough if you are over 185cm. If you want the M422 comfort without the fur collar, then the ANJ-3 might be an idea. Here's a link to an Aero listing for one
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=976

Those are really nice, but definitely buy a size up from what you normally take. My USN AN6552 Aero is just about as neat as I'd want in one of these (not quite as much so as a Thirties Halfbelt, but close!). The Aero ANJ3 I briefly owned I could get into and fasten, but it was definitely a size too small. I corresponded with Aero about it (Amanda at that time), and the advice I was given was that these are cut small and a size up is the best bet. I'm not in a massive hurry to get one again, but if a used one came up at the right price I would jump on it.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, I know rakuten.
I find it difficult to judge a fit from the measurements, so I was hoping someone who owns or owned a Japanese A2 would comment.

The Melton Wool Pea Coats come to mind. From what I've gathered the Buzz Rickson one adheres closely to the original measurements and is thus a bit boxy, while the Real McCoys version is trimmer.
It is difficult to say though I have tried on many McCoy's, Rickson etc. I find the jacket cut quite straight and not too boxy and not too short but then I stand less than 5'6 weigh less than 150lb and wear the size 34 (36 if slim fit biker jacket like Lewis leather). I have an Aero QM A-2 in size 34 and it fits tighter and is marginally shorter than a 34 Real McCoy. Also a fellow here ordered a Toy McCoy V Hilt size 40 and has to exchange it for a 38. He told me he wears a size 38 BK Dubow. BTW, the Rainbow Country looks really nice. If I am paying that much, I'll go for Rainbow Country or the Few.

Last edited:

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Great info.
Thanks.
May I ask which leather you chose for both? Goat for the M-422, I suppose.
And if Horse for the A-2, does Aero offer veg tan horsehide?
Do you wear both more for spring summer or also in colder temperatures?
tia

The M-422 is goat and the A2 is Aero's heavy fromtquarter horse. Bothe are more for warmer days above 10-15 degrees celsius. The M-422 is a tad warmer, but that could be an illusion.

O

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
I have a buzz rickson a-2 and a real mccoys, buco, j-100. They are both amazing jackets. I personally would buy one of those two companies before any other company because in my opinion they pay a lot more attention to the way the jacket fits. And they fit and look great. The buzz rickson is a slight bit on the short side, but fits perfect around the torso. The real mccoys, buco, fits perfect in every way. I want a real mccoys a-2 something awful right now.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The M-422 is goat and the A2 is Aero's heavy fromtquarter horse. Bothe are more for warmer days above 10-15 degrees celsius. The M-422 is a tad warmer, but that could be an illusion.

O

I find my USN jacket feels warmer than an A2 as well. I put it down to a combination of the lining (a shiny rayon type) being less breatheable than that in the A2s (mine have the cotton and Aero red silk linings), and the furry collar holding in heat around the neck.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
New fit and then worn in fit.

Suggest make sure to consider that once worn in the jacket may in fact increase in size a small bit, meaning, it won't feel as tight as when it was new in tight areas such as the armpits. Nevertheless, I think that in the west, many folks have larger arms than the rest of world due to Golds Gym and all those burgers, and such. As a result, the chest measurement alone will not work for sizing the jacket , especially jackets from Real McCoy's or any other that pattern/size after the originals. A real fine way to tell is to ask for measurements on the jacket, including, chest shoulder width, armhole size (usually in inches diameter laid flat, I think), and ask for the back length from collar bottom to bottom of jacket to get an idea. If you are way above or below average height (5'7"), ie if you are over 6ft. or under 5'4", then you may be better off with a length adjustment.

My two Real McCoy's Bucos (J-100/ J-22)are both size 38 and they both fit me perfect, albeit a little snug in the armpits, although my Chest is at 37". The snugness around the armpits is due to upper arm and shoulder/neck muscles being toned from years of upper body calisthenics, Army style. Also is the fact that Real McCoys size theirs so very true to size and for non-steroid users. The same size 38 Lewis that I have is a little (1/4 inch) roomier in the arms than the Japanese counterparts, again, in line with the fact that Asians are trimmer than Brits...maybe by a long shot, LOL. Nevertheless both my McCoys and my Lewis are true to size for chest measurement, meaning that for the riding jackets, a size 38 is about 39-40inch actual. Needless to say for me, I have but room for 2 Tshirts underneath them. In Southern California, this is not a problem.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran