Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slow Drinks, Home-made Spirits, Liqueurs and Ingredients

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
A friend and I spent last Saturday afternoon preparing some infusions to sit until graduation, when they shall be ready.

We made anise, rose/ginger, lavender/lime, citrus, and prickly pear. I can't wait for them to be ready to filter and try.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
O.K. Yeps, anise I get, citrus and prickly pear I get, but flowers, in your booze??? I can't imagine a rose or lavender FLAVORED drink.
Aftershave yes, drink...

Can't wait for you to tell us how this worked out.

later

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
O.K. Yeps, anise I get, citrus and prickly pear I get, but flowers, in your booze??? I can't imagine a rose or lavender FLAVORED drink.
Aftershave yes, drink...

Can't wait for you to tell us how this worked out.

later

The floral ones were my friend's idea. He has a lot of cookbooks and such from the Edwardian era and earlier, and you would be surprised at the amount of floral flavors they use. A while back he made a Rose and ginger lemonade, so we are duplicating that in the liqueur. As for the lavender; it smells nice and the lime should balance it out nicely.

Flicka

One Too Many
The floral ones were my friend's idea. He has a lot of cookbooks and such from the Edwardian era and earlier, and you would be surprised at the amount of floral flavors they use. A while back he made a Rose and ginger lemonade, so we are duplicating that in the liqueur. As for the lavender; it smells nice and the lime should balance it out nicely.

I have a violet and rose flavoured vodka which is really nice. However, one of the best cocktails I ever had was a rose & lychee "martini" I had in a Japanese place in London once. I so wish I could recreate that!

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
Cherry or Blackberry Bounce

[video]http://www.wafb.com/story/18671185/blackberry-bounce?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId =7349838[/video]
Prep Time: 6 Months Preferable
Yields: 3 Gallons
Comment:
This family recipe was originally created by Lucie "Cie" Greaud Guttner. Her son-in-law, Gary Anderson, adapted the method slightly, but the flavor is still wonderful. Louisiana native black cherries, which ripen in May and June, are perfect for this wine. However, we are using blackberries which are in season most of the year.
Ingredients:
1 gallon blackberries or cherries
16 cups sugar
2 gallons whiskey or brandy
Method:
Rinse berries well under cold running water. In a large crock, combine berries and sugar. Add whiskey. NOTE: Gary recommends using J.W. Dant Bourbon; however, any bourbon will work. Cover crock with cheesecloth and let stand in a cool, dark place approximately 6 months. Cover should allow gas to escape but should not allow whiskey to evaporate. After 6 months, carefully strain wine. Taste for quality and serve, or bottle for later use. Blackberry bounce is traditionally served at Thanksgiving or Christmas.
This is very similar to my FIL's recipe according to my husband.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21