Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Back in the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It ends when you stop feeling guilty.

I like to smoke once a month or so, I have never inhaled tobacco because I know I would be a pack a day in no time!

It is annoying that there aren't places to smoke. In Mexico, everyone smokes all over the place, and they seem to have decent ventilation systems so you don't notice it in the bars and restaurants. Or maybe it is masked by the air pollution, although that never bothers me either...

I do remember as a kid that no one thought twice about lighting up anywhere. And I remember my parents quitting smoking to spite Ronald Reagan when he raised the tobacco taxes...

I just wish they would legalize pot do we could have a non-cancerous, tasty alternative, that only gets you about as high as a cocktail...

Blackjack

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
I just wish they would legalize pot do we could have a non-cancerous, tasty alternative, that only gets you about as high as a cocktail...

Hmmm....from what I understand, a joint has an incredibly high amount of tar in it. Like ten Luckies... But, it's as I said before if your an adult and you assume the risks, it's your life baby. Smoke em if you got em...:cool2:

warbird

One Too Many
You're right there. LOL you gotta smoke a lot of pot to believe it isn't bad for you, oh brother. It's the smoke and the tar, not the chemicals that get ya. Cancer got smokers a long time ago too. The chemicals don't help, but a lack of them don't make it healthy.

Cigars are good alternative. As long as you don't inhale. Sure it isn't healthy but it also is far better than snuff and chewing baccy.

I say it sure would be a damn shame to leave this world after 80 yrs or so and know your heart gave out. but you still had a perfectly good set of lungs and liver. Have it wear out at once.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
At the ripe age of 16, my comments on the devil's herb:

The weed folks are smoking today is nothing like it was even a few decades ago. The things you find it laced with are ridiculous. I know a few horror stories from personal acquaintances; one found theirs to contain embalming fluid or PCP (more likely the former than latter, obviously) which was explained as THC crystals. About 48 hours straight of nonstop, terrifying hallucinations and near complete loss of muscular control.

If nothing else, legalization would mean regulation. There is a significant increase in tar (7 times as much tar and more carbon monoxide to boot), but it also has cancer-preventative qualities. If regulated...it'd be less harmful than alcohol, and adults should be able to make the decision for themselves.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
univibe88 said:
Boston just banned the sale of cigarettes in drug stores and on college campuses. The whole state already has a smoking ban in restaurants, but still allowed for smoking on outdoor patios. Well, in 60 days Boston will also close that loop hole.

Boston also has 6 cigar bars that serve ONLY smokers. No non-smoker would have business going there to be bothered by smoke. Well, Boston is shuttering them also. Just flat out putting 6 small business owners out of business.

And to think this is the Cradle of Liberty and the birthplace of the revolution. :rage:

Historically speaking, Boston has precedent for enforcing tobacco laws, back to the early days of its existence. Not that I agree with them, but still.

LordBest

Practically Family
Blackjack said:
So tell me again why we threw the tea in the harbor?............[huh]
Well, the great British teapot shortage of 1772. It took some time, but when it did finally reach the colonies it hit with a vengeance. The price of teapots skyrocketed until even a simple plain ceramic article cost more than a years pay for the average worker. In response people began to use any receptacle they could lay their hands on, culminating on December 16th, 1773 with the ad hoc use of Boston Harbor as one of the largest recorded teapots in history.

univibe88

One Too Many
Blackjack said:
So tell me again why we threw the tea in the harbor?............[huh]

They weren't happy with the taxes on it. Had merry old England just outlawed its sale entirely, it wouldn't have been in the cargo ships to be thrown into the harbor to begin with. And I guess they would have been just fine with that.

Socaspi, you are right that Boston has been over regulating for a long time. But it is ironic that it has happened in a city where the revolution hatched. Also, not to be picky but "devil's weed" is tobacco. The term comes from the Spanish Inquisition (nobody suspects the Spanish Inquisition.) Interestingly it was the first, and much more extreme, anti smoking group.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
univibe88 said:
Also, not to be picky but "devil's weed" is tobacco. The term comes from the Spanish Inquisition (nobody suspects the Spanish Inquisition.)
Oh it is being picky, but being picky is something society needs! You're absolutely correct. Tobacco, later datura. Silly me.

Blackjack

One Too Many
univibe88 said:
They weren't happy with the taxes on it. Had merry old England just outlawed its sale entirely, it wouldn't have been in the cargo ships to be thrown into the harbor to begin with. And I guess they would have been just fine with that.

Socaspi, you are right that Boston has been over regulating for a long time. But it is ironic that it has happened in a city where the revolution hatched. Also, not to be picky but "devil's weed" is tobacco. The term comes from the Spanish Inquisition (nobody suspects the Spanish Inquisition.) Interestingly it was the first, and much more extreme, anti smoking group.

Haha, Guys...I wasn't "asking" why we threw the tea in the harbor, I was making a quip, a jab, a rib if you will about government taxation, regulation and general un-welcome and certainly uninvited involvment in our lives. But, the history lessons were much appreciated by some here I'm sure.
"Balls said the Queen"

univibe88

One Too Many
Blackjack said:
Haha, Guys...I wasn't "asking" why we threw the tea in the harbor, I was making a quip, a jab, a rib if you will about government taxation, regulation and general un-welcome and certainly uninvited involvment in our lives. But, the history lessons were much appreciated by some here I'm sure.
"Balls said the Queen"

I got your joke and enjoyed it very much. I was trying to continue the joke by taking a jab at the outright banning going on today. I guess it was a bit too dry or didn't come across in print very well. I did not mean to correct you.

Blackjack

One Too Many
Does make me wonder though, if you polled everyone in the country right now what percentage of "Americans" would know why or even know about that event. I'm bettin it would be preeeeety low.lol

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Blackjack said:
Does make me wonder though, if you polled everyone in the country right now what percentage of "Americans" would know why or even know about that event. I'm bettin it would be preeeeety low.lol

Unfortunately, it would be lower than the percentage of Americans who know who won the last round of American idol or Dancing with the Stars. Remember, the tea was tossed overboard by fiesty British subjects. We Americans are a passive lot content to work longer and longer hours for less and less pay while spending their precious little free time living vicariously through the idiot box while their once cherished "freedoms" are usurped by a ruling elite that views them only as chattle to be exploited. Oops, better stop before the mods shut down this excellent thread. But this really isn't a "political" post, as the problem is with all of us, regardless of party affiliation or idiology. Over and out.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
To ramble a little further off topic, the irony of the Boston Tea Party was that the tax was imposed to pay for the cost of the French and Indian War (1754 to 1763) aka the 7 Years War. This war was fought to protect the colonies from invasion from both the French in Canada and the various Indian tribes. The removal of the threat led directly to American Independence.

Blackjack

One Too Many
Cigarette brands

I'm not quite sure how many manufactured cigarettes were out there in the 40's but when I first started smoking I used to love to buy non-filters every few packs or so. I would smoke less and from what I had heard, they used a better cut of tobacco. Of those, Chesterfields were by far my favorite, (I don't know if they still make those here) followed by good ol' Luckies. Combine those with a nice vintage lighter, and a comfortable fedora makes for a really vintage night on the town.

43chesterfieldcigarettes.jpg
[/IMG]

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
That's a great Chesterfield ad; first time I've ever seen it despite all the vintage magazines I have. I have one of those blue oilcloth/treated nylon money belts the sailor is wearing. Here's a couple more war time Chesterfield ads with Rosalind Russell http://www.tias.com/3943/PictPage/1922822087.html and Ernie Pyle http://store.valueweb.com/servlet/vintagepaperads/-strse-12019/1944-WWII-Chesterfield-Cigarettes/Detail

Stoney

Practically Family
So much for a free America...

Just give people enough time to congregate and point their fingers with their bans. be it smoking or anything else. There are always those waiting to step up take control and tell everyone else what is good for them. Just ask anyone who grew up in Germany in the 1920s and 1930s. You allow the political folks to start banning things and before you know it they start burning books and locking up the undesirables. Sure smoking is bad for you... I can even support no smoking inside restaurants. But banning smoking from within 100ft of buildings or banning it from entire cities and towns? That is just the few, once again, exercising their power over them many. I think smokers are people too and as such have a right to smoke if they wish, as long as it does not impact others. This ban on smoking is just the tip of the iceberg, lets see what gets banned next. My money is on free thought!

BTW: I am an ex, not current smoker. Unlike many of my ilk, I do not tell everyone else to quit smoking. It's their choice to do so.

warbird

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
To ramble a little further off topic, the irony of the Boston Tea Party was that the tax was imposed to pay for the cost of the French and Indian War (1754 to 1763) aka the 7 Years War. This war was fought to protect the colonies from invasion from both the French in Canada and the various Indian tribes. The removal of the threat led directly to American Independence.

That's a bit of over simplification though in my book. That is the excuse they used is a better way to put it. In truth they made far far more from the colonies than the cost of the war to them. For them the war was indeed an investment, not some good deed to protect their loved subjects.

They instilled multiple taxes, over bearing taxes on just about every product for the simple reason that they could. They used forced housing and impressment as further attempts to force their big hand on the colonies. We were a colony of almost all Brits unlike many of their other colonies, yet had zero representation.

In truth, the British government thought wrong of their ability to push around the fiesty independent minded colonists and suffered for it. And thank God for it. I am no subject to any man or woman on this earth who feels they are above me because of who they were born to and entitled to. I would have fought then and I would fight now to my last breath to ensure no king or queen rules any member of my family. EVER!

just_me

Practically Family
Stoney - I might agree with you more if smoking impacted only the smoker, but it has a negative impact on those around the smoker who breath in the smoke.

And, unless you're kidding, I think saying that the next thing banned will be free thought is a little over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21