Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking in the house???

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
While i was growing up, the sight of my father smoking cigars and pipe inside the house was an everyday occurrence. He had a large collection of pipes (he still has) I remember him always mixing the pipe tabac with apple peel and orange peel, and vanilla , etc ... and he was always buying those boxes of cuban cigars... I loved and still love the smell of pipe and cigars inside the house, it brings back happy memories...
The thought of my father being sent outside to smoke is inconceivable :eek: ... i mean ,nobody would ever have dared to ask him, there was no need, and he wouldnt have done it anyway! :)
Sometimes when i smoke cigarretes i also smoke indoors, in one room in the house, but never in the bedroom.

cecil

A-List Customer
Ravenor Bullen said:
I still keep up this thoughtful custom and always offer the men cigars at the end of the meal when the ladies have retired elsewhere.

:eusa_doh:

I don't smoke in non-smoking households, but when non-smoking guests are around they can and will put up and shut up with me and my smoking guests puffing away inside.

I have a nice courtyard though so I often entertain there when the weather is right. As well as non-smokers I have two good friends who are allergic to my two cats, so outside is practical as well as ambient on a nice evening. :)

Kermez

A-List Customer
HadleyH said:
I loved and still love the smell of pipe and cigars inside the house, it brings back happy memories...

Cigar-lover and gorgeous... You certainly have leapt up in the standings as The Perfect Woman! :D

smiley-heart-1.jpg

miss_elise

Practically Family
i love the smell of cigarette... i don't love the smell of stale cigarettes...

our house is a smoke outside one...

and after cleaning my oma and opa's house after they passed away... where you would remove a picture from the wall and realise that the paint was actually pale blue and not grimy yellow gave me quite start... so there will be no smoking in my house or houses in the future either

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
I loved and still love the smell of pipe and cigars inside the house, it brings back happy memories...

It's something like this that can make sense of an otherwise senseless day. It envelops me in security and foundation, even grounding in thoughts a loved one. :)

Thanks for sharing the nice thought Hadley. ;) :)

rkwilker

One Too Many
Originally posted by HadleyH I loved and still love the smell of pipe and cigars in

If I wasn't already married Ms. Hadley, I would worry you to death. Clearly you are a bright and beautiful young lady!

RedPop4

One Too Many
Sadly, out of doors. I, too, don't want my furniture to soak up the stale odors.

I can not tell you how many times people have commented, positively, how the smell of my cigar releases a flood of fond memories of grandfathers, fathers, uncles and close family friends. It always ends with a bittersweet, beaming grin from them; sometimes, eyes brimming as well. That something so "horrible" "disgusting" or whatever it's become can do such good is truly amazing.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Pipe smoke and some cigars reminds me of my grandfather. I can just see him when I smell certain blends - what's amazing about seeing him is he died when I was 3. Scent truly is tied to memory. He probably wasn't really THAT tall, though. lol

Now, Kools and Newports smell like being 16 again - don't really want to go back there! But that's a certain nostalgia too.

I don't smoke but we keep my granddad's pipes.

RedPop4 said:
I can not tell you how many times people have commented, positively, how the smell of my cigar releases a flood of fond memories of grandfathers, fathers, uncles and close family friends. It always ends with a bittersweet, beaming grin from them; sometimes, eyes brimming as well. That something so "horrible" "disgusting" or whatever it's become can do such good is truly amazing.

That is a very good point. It reminds me of my great Uncle Jack. He smoked a pipe for quite a long time.
The funny thing about smoking cigars indoors is just who notices. I don't notice in the man cave but last time I was gone for a while and had someone looking over the house while I was gone; he noticed quite a lot. He emptied a whole can of air freshener in my summer house. :eusa_doh: It smelled worse to me. Then again, it got overpowered fairly quickly after I used the fireplace.
Geez, its supposed to smell like a hunting lodge not a house of ill repute. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes: :p

shortbow

Practically Family
James, that last sentence just nails it for me. I can not stand the stench of all these new fangled stinks people emit with their sprays, candles and such. Makes me gag. A bit of nice perfume on a beautiful woman is a delight, but all this other stuff? Chemical warfare.

shortbow said:
James, that last sentence just nails it for me. I can not stand the stench of all these new fangled stinks people emit with their sprays, candles and such. Makes me gag. A bit of nice perfume on a beautiful woman is a delight, but all this other stuff? Chemical warfare.

And worst of all, that stuff just covers or adds to the smell they are trying to cover. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:
The worst part is that he used up a can of spray that was meant for the bathroom. lol lol lol lol

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I can only assume some of the respondents to this thread are unfamiliar with "Lord Byrons Smokers Candle" No perfume, no pine trees in the living room just a candle that cleans the air. These things really work on any stale odors. You will not be disappointed. Even if you don't have a need to desmoke a room it's like a smoke eater in as much as it allows for a clean fresh not stale smell of a good cigar in your den.

TheLimey

Familiar Face
I smoke in the living room and kitchen.
Deffinately not the bedroom, I don't want my clothes smelling more of tobacco smoke than they do already.
I do find that the living room smells like an old pub if I've had friends to visit.

St.Ignatz said:
I can only assume some of the respondents to this thread are unfamiliar with "Lord Byrons Smokers Candle" No perfume, no pine trees in the living room just a candle that cleans the air. These things really work on any stale odors. You will not be disappointed. Even if you don't have a need to desmoke a room it's like a smoke eater in as much as it allows for a clean fresh not stale smell of a good cigar in your den.

Ok, I ordered all three:
smokers_candlesBIG.jpg

If they don't work I know who I am going to blame. ;) :p

Ravenor Bullen

New in Town
shortbow said:
Ravenor, you are refreshingly and delightfully non-PC.

Thank you kindly, Shortbow. I take that as a compliment. I am opposed to Political Correctness for it is surely others imposing their opinions on us; requiring us to think and behave in the same way. For me it is a form of Fascism. Read George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four for more details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24