Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Jackets

AntonAAK

Practically Family
This Apparel Arts Anniversary Issue shows items called 'Cocktail Coats' which seem to blur the boundary between a smoking jacket and a robe.

They are in this thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=43676

Post #6.

I agree that they don't have to be made of velvet (see Sproily's fine example in the Smoking Jacket thread) but I think a shawl collar and some kind of thick absorbent material is a minimum requirement. You should see some of the abominations described as smoking jackets on Ebay.

Edward

Bartender
Ah yes, the joys of ebay, where any hat is a fedora, all dressing gows are smoking jackets, and any coat or jacket which is either log or tan in colour is a "trenchcoat".... :rolleyes:

Feraud

Bartender
Not sure if this link was posted.

small-SAndB-Winter1885to1886-077.jpg

http://www.digitalchangeling.com/sewing/periodResources/SAndC-Winter1885to1886/

Edward

Bartender
Yip, that qualifies in my book. I can certainly see the advantage to a belt-type closure from the manufacturer's point of view, as it allows for a wider range of sizes to fit into the same garment.... For those who use them as a lounging-around-the-home garment, I imagine it is very convenient too. The one thing I cannot abide is folks wearing them as some novelty alternative to a dj when going out.... why, it's as bad as coloured bow ties with evening wear, or novelty cartoon character waistcoats....:eusa_doh: :rolleyes: :p

TheWraithFD

New in Town
It's navy blue with a black, patterned silk lapel fabric.

It's certainly not something to be worn in summer, but our autumn's and winters are cold enough to make this a comfortable jacket.

Just as an FYI, the tailor's photographer buttoned the jacket around the wrong way. I'll take another photo once it's reached me and I'm wearing it. And I can wholeheartedly recommend Tom Wharton (of Barrington Ayre) if anyone is looking for just such a smoking jacket, or any other piece of quality Made in England tailored clothing.

Thanks for the kind words :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gorgeous!!

You'll need to break out the cigars when that little number arrives on your doorstep. It's just beautiful..!:eusa_clap

TheWraithFD said:
Long time visitor, first time poster.

Here's my new smoking jacket, which I commissioned from Barrington Ayre tailors in England. It's on its way to me now but hasn't arrived yet.

smoking_jacket.jpg

smoking_jacket2.jpg

Mickey Caesar

Familiar Face
I believe the original purpose of the smoking jacket was so that it, rather than the dinner jacket, was exposed to cigar/pipes fumes. These smell of these were considered unpleasant to the ladies.

So in short the smoking jacket is meant to get smokey.

Interesting point though. :)
Actually you're supposed to remove your dinner jacket and replace it with the smoking jacket before you go into the study, den, or whatever room in which you are going to smoke.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just cannot beat a good smoking jacket. There should be photos of mine earlier in this thread (and also on my PADDY WAGON link). They really do cut a dash Gents and I'm seeing some fine examples being sported in*here* so thanks for sharing those!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner