Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Jackets

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
(Photos) 1930's smoking jacket 'on deck...'

These photos were taken an hour ago whilst enjoying a 1916 version of the 'Aviation' cocktail on my deck (unusually, in the sun!). It's a lovely evening and after a day at the coal face, what a great way to wind down than throw on one's vintage Jim-Jams, Smoking Jacket (it's a 1930's NOS - Like 'new' made in Oregon, USA. ), sit on the deck with a cocktail and just wind down...bliss!

As mentioned earlier in the thread, this little number isn't velvet, or sateen, or rayon, it's a fine wool felt, which is just gorgeous to wear.

SMOKINGJACKET002.jpg

SMOKINGJACKET003.jpg

SMOKINGJACKET008.jpg

SMOKINGJACKET011.jpg

SMOKINGJACKET014.jpg

SMOKINGJACKET015.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well thankyou Edward...

I'm like the proverbial Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland right now, as it's a rather dashing little piece. And I really wasn't expecting it to be in such amazing condition. The seller listed it as being 1920's, but I'm being a bit more conservative with 30's (not that it matters one way or t'other). Plus it's a decent fit. I'll be the talk of the town dear boy at the Calcutta Club..!

MarkL

One of the Regulars
I love those photos, Paddy!

Paddy:

That jacket, coupled with the beautiful ascot, and all of the other items in the ensemble are just amazing! And the setting (complete with Aviation cocktail!) is absolutely perfect.

Wow. You look great!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mark

PADDY said:
These photos were taken an hour ago whilst enjoying a 1916 version of the 'Aviation' cocktail on my deck (unusually, in the sun!). It's a lovely evening and after a day at the coal face, what a great way to wind down than throw on one's vintage Jim-Jams, Smoking Jacket (it's a 1930's NOS - Like 'new' made in Oregon, USA. ), sit on the deck with a cocktail and just wind down...bliss!

As mentioned earlier in the thread, this little number isn't velvet, or sateen, or rayon, it's a fine wool felt, which is just gorgeous to wear.

SMOKINGJACKET002.jpg

SMOKINGJACKET003.jpg

SMOKINGJACKET008.jpg

SMOKINGJACKET011.jpg

SMOKINGJACKET014.jpg

SMOKINGJACKET015.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well Binkie...the unfortuate Hefner association of smoking jackets...

...is something I tend to avoid like the plague! ;) Probably 'wrongly' I associate the robe style smoking jacket with Hugh and Rabbits and 70's lounge parties, which is just a turn-off (for me anyway [huh] ). So I've been biding my time until the right one came along (it's been a long wait, but worth it now). To have a pristine 20's/30's gent's smoking jacket in wool felt is just such a pleasure - it really is. For me, the fun is often in the 'chase/hunt' ...but in this particular case it's also 'the catch' as it's a real beaut!!

Queue

Familiar Face
Smoking Jacket

Hello all. I am posting this here instead of in our other forums because I am not asking so much for fashion advice but thoughts on practicality. I just bought a pipe and am concerned about the smoke smell 'tainting' my clothes. I am curious if a smoking jacket is actually useful or just an overinflated idea that doesn't really do much?

Thanks!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I believe the original purpose of the smoking jacket was so that it, rather than the dinner jacket, was exposed to cigar/pipes fumes. These smell of these were considered unpleasant to the ladies.

So in short the smoking jacket is meant to get smokey.

Interesting point though. :)

BillyCigars

New in Town
Is it useful?

Hmm... Yes and no. It seems to work really well for keeping the smoke off of your clothes however, the smoke ultimately ends up in your hair.

I'd try and perform an experiment for you but it would be a flawed one because if I asked someone to "sniff" me for cigar smell after removing my smoking jacket, they may just be getting the residual. I'm inclined to think that it works to a large extent though because by wearing it, you're creating an extra layer of thick material between the cigar smoke and your clothes. In fact, one of the reasons we include a custom tailored, velvet smoking jacket with membership in my Club is because many of our members are downtown business professionals who don't want to return to the office smelling like an ashtray.

The other reason that it's useful is because it keeps the burning embers (from a pipe) or the hot ashes (from a cigar) from falling onto your dress clothes, creating little holes. So in that way, they are indeed quite useful.

Edward

Bartender
Just taken an eBay risk on this:

!B,-tiT!!2k~$(KGrHqMH-EMEquj!V8QNBKt44Iw3Rg~~_12.JPG

Looks to me like something of a cross-breed between the Bogie Casablanca dj and a velvet blazer, but it'll be nice for at least wearing round the house, and (being much cheaper!) also a nice alternative if I'm worried about messing my Favourbrook. I'm a little concerned that it might have a bit much wear here and there, but the photos may just be a bit washed out, and as the auction suggests that it is excellent condition wise, I can always send it back if it doesn't match up.

Still want one of the really nice quilt-lined ones with the tie-belt, but as I can only find those new at over GBP500 (Irvin money!), that will have to wait for some time!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Edward...

...you could customise 'that' jacket easily enough, working on the sleeve cuffs and also adorning the edging on the shawl collar and pockets..etc.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Edward said:
Just taken an eBay risk on this:

Looks to me like something of a cross-breed between the Bogie Casablanca dj and a velvet blazer, but it'll be nice for at least wearing round the house, and (being much cheaper!) also a nice alternative if I'm worried about messing my Favourbrook.

Looks like you've got a nice jacket there, a lot of potential. As someone that wears smoking jackets, would you indeed smoke in one? In particular if you got one of the £500+ jackets would you smoke in that or would you be worried about tainting it with smoke fumes.
I ask because it's something I pondering myself as I've had an offer for someone to make me a jacket.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Would you smoke in an expensive smoking jacket..?

Mmmm...interesting question. Bear in mind that they were designed to absorb the smoke smells and 'burns' from cigars and hence protect one's undergarments .

But when forking out 'loads of wonga' on an expensive jacket, do YOU REALLY want to soil it Sir..? Well...do YOU..?!

Or just wear it for cocktails...

matei

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Or just wear it for cocktails...

I'd opt for wearing it just for cocktails...

We've got a small cocktail party this weekend, if only I'd remembered this thread earlier and sorted myself out a smoking jacket! :p

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:
...you could customise 'that' jacket easily enough, working on the sleeve cuffs and also adorning the edging on the shawl collar and pockets..etc.

Yes, providing the jacket is in fine condition when it arrives, I may do just that.... I have a couple of friends who are experienced dressmakers, so I may well explore the possibility of having the lapels quilted and some braiding added to the cuffs and pocket edging, similar to the style of my Favourbrook.

Ethan Bentley said:
Looks like you've got a nice jacket there, a lot of potential. As someone that wears smoking jackets, would you indeed smoke in one? In particular if you got one of the £500+ jackets would you smoke in that or would you be worried about tainting it with smoke fumes.
I ask because it's something I pondering myself as I've had an offer for someone to make me a jacket.

Yeah, that's the thing.... I suppose smoking jackets are something that were always the preserve of the rich and few. I should imagine the sort of person nowadays who routinely buys all their clothes in Jermyn Street, the kind who doesn'tg balk at shelling out GBP800 for a new Burberry trenchcoat, probably wouldn't think twice about lighting up in such a garment - price is always relative, and I think it's fair to say that the average customer for that sort of think nowadays is much morel ikely to be of that ilk than the likes of us! Myself, having spent that sort of money on something (though in interests of full disclosure, my Favourbrook, though GBP600 new, was bought via eBay for considerably less), I certainly wouldn't risk it.... but then I'm also not a smoker, so. The once in a blue moon I have a cigar nowadays, I'm out and about rather than at home, so I wouldn't be wearing the smoking jacket anyhow...

Paddy, I know what you mean about the unfortunate Hugh Hefner associations (I personally happen to find him quite a repulsive misogynist and can't for the life of me understand how he has ascended to such a level of respectability in US society, but that's another matter entirely!). For what it may be worth, I believe Hefner favours satin and silk types, the lighter 'Summer weight' style, as opposed to a traditional, heavy smoking jaket. I think in any case we should reclaim it from the likes of him! lol

Edward said:
YPaddy, I know what you mean about the unfortunate Hugh Hefner associations (I personally happen to find him quite a repulsive misogynist and can't for the life of me understand how he has ascended to such a level of respectability in US society, but that's another matter entirely!). For what it may be worth, I believe Hefner favours satin and silk types, the lighter 'Summer weight' style, as opposed to a traditional, heavy smoking jaket. I think in any case we should reclaim it from the likes of him! lol

Uh, not all of us think he is respectable. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: My opinion of him is pretty much spot on with yours.
What he wears now really isn't a smoking jacket. It is more like a robe.
I guess I'll get a little more mileage out of this picture to add to this thread.
me.jpg

This was my father's from the early 1950s. I have gotten much more use out of it than he did. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR