Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snap on fur collars ?

TLW '90

Practically Family
I would love to add a snap on fur collar ( faux or real, I don't care ) to my 1990 Taylor's Chicago PD surplus jacket.
I know I can modify one to attach to my jacket, but I have no clue where to get one that's not $100+ or even how to know what size collar attachment I need to be looking for.
If I can figure out what size I need to be looking for I plan to post a WTB here hoping somebody has an appropriate Fur collar off an old PD jacket that they aren't using.
I don't know what the likelihood of that is, but I figure it's worth a shot.
Is it as simple as just measuring my jackets collar and adding a certain amount for the length of collar I need , or is there a sizing ?

I found a collar cheap on Ebay that was for a modern non leather type PD jacket that was marked 42 on the tag, I assume that's just a size correlation within the jacket company that made it like the Schott collar that corresponds to their jacket sizes, but want to be sure there's not some kind of universal sizing chart for these Fur collars.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Worth asking Taylor if they have anything laying around. I would imagine their price for real fur would be comparable to others' price for faux.

Snap-on collars are very compatible and just about any one that I've had fit on all of my jackets. Don't waste a lot of money on one.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Snap-on collars are very compatible and just about any one that I've had fit on all of my jackets. Don't waste a lot of money on one.

Depends on how they attach.

The one Schott made me attaches to my modern 613SH as well as a 1960s Beck Perfecto (that is effectively a size smaller) because they have the same snap layout.

My Thurston collar will sit on the Schott but I would not expect it to stay in place because it doesn’t snap on or fully fit.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Worth asking Taylor if they have anything laying around. I would imagine their price for real fur would be comparable to others' price for faux.
They had them available on their site a couple years ago when I was looking for info on my jacket after I bought it, but they no longer do and a lot of their jacket models seem to be discontinued.
Their jackets are no longer made here, but I don't think I have any problem with putting an imported collar on my jacket if that's what I can get.

Last edited:

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
One of the Cals I bought came with a non-Cal collar. I posted about it here:
Thread 'Mystery collar help'
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/mystery-collar-help.104527/
My Cal is 42-44. This could possibly be a Taylor’s collar. I think @Aloysius is spot on about the snap arrangement being key for matching collars with jackets. I don’t think I am going to keep this collar with the Cal. The snap arrangement on the collar does not quite fit the jacket. It put some strain on one of the jacket’s collar seams, which the people at Cal fixed really nicely for me. I think I am going to put a Cal collar on my Xmas list ;)

TLW '90

Practically Family
For whatever collar I can find, I will add snaps to it that mate up with the snaps on my jacket if I have to.
However my jacket only has the 2 collar snaps and I do not want to add any snaps to my jackets collar.
I don't know how the sizing goes with collars, but my jacket is a 36, so I have to find out what I need to be looking for.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
When I finally get my little Singer fixed I will try to make one out of faux fur myself with big wide sweep to tack onto my Cafe Racer jackets.
But I agree with others, it would make the most economical sense to find one that's already made and just add snaps to fix it onto your jacket. I will only try to build one myself out of curiousity and I wanted one that is 70s super width.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks HM! This will give me some push to get my Singer fixed. The timing bobbin keeps messing with me after hemming my extra thick jeans. I just need a full afternoon to take it apart and re time it.

Wide collars are freaking cool!

You need a walking foot attachment...I love the collars on Penny’s Big Mac shirts from the 70s. I have a few now.
1C0AA0D2-FAB5-49DC-B61A-81F8A8A2E617.jpeg
But for leather jackets, the ‘76 Walter Dyer is the pinnacle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk