Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snapping a Straw Brim

Irish4

Familiar Face
Training the brim of your lid

I have a way that I keep my brims in tip top shape,it may draw criticism from experts and pundits alike but so be it.If you are wanting to have the front of the brim snap down lower ,place your hat on something like a coffee can or something to raise the hat up in the air so that the brim touches nothing.I will steam my hats prior to this if need to.I place large or medium binder clips on the edge of the brim in the desired positions I want.This is enough weight to pull the brim down (usually) you can add a little weight if needed.If you are worried about the binder clip being to strong and that it may leave a mark on the brim,you can tweak them so they are not as strong or I use craft felt under them on my brims.I have never had a problem.i have hats that I put clips on every night.I also never set my lids on thier brims at any time.I have read in the lounge from other people that you should rest your hat on the brim,but that will defeat all the work you do to train the brim itself.I will also tell you something that was taught to me as a boy by my Grandfather,and I still live by this 44 years later........NEVER put your hat on the bed,it is BAD LUCK.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Irish4 said:
I will also tell you something that was taught to me as a boy by my Grandfather,and I still live by this 44 years later........NEVER put your hat on the bed,it is BAD LUCK.

Some superstitions I enjoy very much. This is one of them. I greatly enjoy regularly placing my hats on my bed, just to see if my "luck" will run out. It hasn't! BOY, HAS IT NOT RUN OUT!:p

I think my luck is actually better, post "hat on bed".[huh] lol

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Dewhurst said:
Some superstitions I enjoy very much. This is one of them. I greatly enjoy regularly placing my hats on my bed, just to see if my "luck" will run out. It hasn't! BOY, HAS IT NOT RUN OUT!:p

I think my luck is actually better, post "hat on bed".[huh] lol
Famous last words?:)

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
BobC said:
I bought a Capricorn after reading about it here, and I'm not too happy with it. At the same time as I ordered the Capricorn I ordered a Country Club too, but after receiving the Capricorn I cancelled the Country Club.

The "straw" is obviously plastic and not the least bit natural looking. I will wear the hat, but if it gets damaged or otherwise becomes unwearable my feelings won't be hurt and I won't replace it.

I decided against a Capricorn for two reasons:

1. I read about the plastic. Thanks for the info on its look. I was afraid it would look fake.

2. The only one I could find was at Strand Hatters - for $70 with shipping. I'm not paying that for a plastic hat.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Michaelshane said:
Famous last words?:)

Mmm, perhaps!

Regarding the "get sat on = bad luck" thing. I always thought it was due to cowboy superstition regarding the hat. If the hat is on your bed, you are sick and not out working. If you are healthy, the hat should be on your head, you on the back of a horse, and getting some work done.

Hard to know where these things come from, I suppose.

carldelo

One Too Many
Dewhurst said:
Mmm, perhaps!

Regarding the "get sat on = bad luck" thing. I always thought it was due to cowboy superstition regarding the hat. If the hat is on your bed, you are sick and not out working. If you are healthy, the hat should be on your head, you on the back of a horse, and getting some work done.

Hard to know where these things come from, I suppose.

I remember reading that the hat superstition relates to a priest coming to visit someone very ill, and placing his hat on the bed to administer last rights - creepy enough, I guess. I just read some online descriptions that attribute it to evil spirits lurking in the hair, and head lice in hats. Yeesh. And I didn't find the explanation I gave above, so who knows where (if) I read it...

However, I can remember my mother and both grandmothers admonishing everyone to get their hats off the bed. Years of training took, and it gives me the heebie-jeebies when I see it done...

PS - Irish4 your method of using binder clips (could use clothespins too, I suppose) sounds good. I could see putting them on and lightly spritzing the straw to get it to relax. Sorry to hear the bad reports about the Capricorn, I've got a gray one on the way - maybe the gray will look more convincing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24