Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snapping a Straw Brim

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Just got a new Stetson Retro Panama and I want to put a little more snap in the front of the brim. What's the best way to do that with straw?

I'll post some pics in the new hat thread when I have it the way that I want it.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Not-Bogart13 said:
Is it that the brim just isn't snapping down low enough, or is it to floppy to snap?

Brim isn't snapping down low enough. Of course, it was turned up in the box. I've snapped it, but I'd like to bring the front down lower.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I have heard from several sources now that the Stetson Retro Panama doesn't snap in the front all that well without a little training. I just read that like a day or two ago, and then you post here.:)

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Dewhurst said:
I have heard from several sources now that the Stetson Retro Panama doesn't snap in the front all that well without a little training. I just read that like a day or two ago, and then you post here.:)

I'm going to take J.J.'s advice and pinch it between some books and the wall. I've been working it by hand all afternoon. It's beginning to take.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Real straw can get wet, just not soaked. That would be bad. But a little bit of water won't hurt it.

Fake straw is usually made of paper. I wouldn't dare use water on those. :eek:

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
RobFedoraField said:
what's people's opinion on shaping an artificial straw like the akubra capricorns, they've gained quite some popularity around these parts recently.

I've been looking at a Capricorn, but not sure about the artificial straw. Anyone have any thoughts or feedback? My other option is a Stetson Weston, which is a Milan straw.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Michaelshane said:
So why is it some say never get your panama wet.Then some say go ahead and dunk it or spray it or steam it to shape it???[huh]

Moisture tends to cause straw to puff or SWELL. This results in a loss of integrity and general shape.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:

So if this brim is indeed trainable.... and if anyone has indeed had success training such a brim....

...what works best for training - high, mid, or low frequencies?

whistles.jpg

I've had my scope on this Retro Panama for some time. I'm waiting for a guide to put a hand on my back and say the magic words "all right, this big one pranc'n in from the west, take it."

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gilgamark said:
I've been looking at a Capricorn, but not sure about the artificial straw. Anyone have any thoughts or feedback? My other option is a Stetson Weston, which is a Milan straw.

I bought a Capricorn after reading about it here, and I'm not too happy with it. At the same time as I ordered the Capricorn I ordered a Country Club too, but after receiving the Capricorn I cancelled the Country Club.

The "straw" is obviously plastic and not the least bit natural looking. I will wear the hat, but if it gets damaged or otherwise becomes unwearable my feelings won't be hurt and I won't replace it.

I have a milan coming, expected to arrive today as a matter of fact, from Miller Hats.

Michaelshane said:
....Then some say go ahead and dunk it or spray it or steam it to shape it???[huh]
I think the dunking is for PALM leaf hats not Panama straw hats. Sunbody hats are palm leaf & get dunked & reshaped. Other straw hats like bangora will not tolerate or do well with this method...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot