Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snazzy shoes on Army Chief of Staff, 1938

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Check out this pic from Shorpy.com.
http://www.shorpy.com/node/6645
The US Army Chief of Staff, Maj. Gen. Malin Craig, in 1938, chatting with Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista. Note Gen. Craig's shoes and socks! They're not wing tips, they're not cap toes. And patterned socks, as well. I know Army officers of the time wore light brown socks with their dress uniforms, but this picture really startled me.
Shorpy.com is FULL of great pics like this.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Army officers' uniform regs were rather loose before WW2. Senior officers, especially, could get away with certain things - Clarence Tinker sported sideburns, cuffs were common on the pinks trousers, and MacArthur was said to have been fond of "plum colored ties."

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
I kind of knew that. Interesting illustration of the fact. So what exactly would you call this style of shoe, other than a brogue?
I believe I've seen that style called a "U Tip".

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I'd love to have a pair of those shoes myself. That's some picture. I must check out that site.

That's some hat on the other guy. I heard a comment once that the more extravagent the army officers' uniforms the more of a banana republic it Is

:eek:

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Balmoral

dhermann1 said:
I kind of knew that. Interesting illustration of the fact. So what exactly would you call this style of shoe, other than a brogue?

The way the part of the instep where the shoes lace looks defines these as Balmoral, at least that's the term we use in the U.S. The type of shoe that has, well, for lack of a better term "flaps" where the laces are are called Blucher in the U.S. and Derby in the U.K.

Here are two links to Allen Edmonds shoes that show the distinction:

Blucher: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/product_6478727_1_40000000001_-1?categoryId=123802&top_category=120552

Balmoral: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/product_6478359_1_40000000001_-1?categoryId=123802&top_category=120552

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
flat-top said:
I believe I've seen that style called a "U Tip".
No, that's what you always use after a Q-tip. lol

If this style even lasted long enough to have a name, it would be in shoe ads or catalogs from the time. I know I've seen them in spectator, but this is the first dress shoe.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

It was a style that "Alan McAfee", the British shoemaker, specialized in. I have an Alexander & Oviatt store catalogue from 1925 that shows the very same shoe.

Fletch said:
No, that's what you always use after a Q-tip. lol

If this style even lasted long enough to have a name, it would be in shoe ads or catalogs from the time. I know I've seen them in spectator, but this is the first dress shoe.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
For ease of reference on this picture:

25358a.preview.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

It was a style that "Alan McAfee", the British shoemaker, specialized in. I have an Alexander & Oviatt store catalogue from 1925 that shows the very same shoe.

Care to post a snap of them?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
I know I've seen them in spectator, but this is the first dress shoe.

Dumb question, I'm sure, but I've got lots to learn about shoes: Are you saying that spectators weren't considered dress shoes?

And if so, are you using "dress" to refer to formal wear, not in the looser way it's often used today?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
MisterCairo: Specs, bucks and the like were classed as sport shoes then. There was even a category called sport suits - beltbacks, bellows pockets and such.

What Gen. Craig is wearing would have been a dress (as in business) style shoe.

skyvue: The WW1 military wasn't very prodigious in handing out decorations - and the interwar military even less so. The most decorated officer I can recall from the post-WW1 era was Billy Mitchell - he even earned two sets of wings, US and (IIRC) British.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Specs, bucks and the like were classed as sport shoes then. There was even a category called sport suits - beltbacks, bellows pockets and such.

What Gen. Craig is wearing would have been a dress (as in business) style shoe.

The difference being the fact that specs are two-tone, perhaps? Is that what makes the general's shoes considered dressier?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80