Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*Snoods*

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All this talk about snoods is making me want to get a few more. Especially nice to wear them during the hot summer day's we've been having. I really would like to find one with a headband sewn into it. I don't sew or knit yet, so making one just wouldn't work.
In my search on-line I came across this http://www.oldefashion.com/Snoods.html

Who knew snoods were actually little hoodies for dogs??? Not me! Funny. If I ever get another dog, I'm gonna make sure she is vintage and make sure that we have matching snoods.

Caledonia

Practically Family
lol . I can just see my poodle in one of those! And those second site ones are gorgeous. I found a free pattern for a medieval snood recently, but can't locate it tonight. Snoods are so elegant. I remember in the 80s they had a short revival, and were subsequently put down as fashion anathema!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Yay! Thanks for the lead on the snood pattern. I thought I was going to have to learn to make netting for a while there.

Though I suppose that (making nets) could be a useful skill, if I am ever stranded on a desert island, I could make nets and catch fish to survive.

Shimmy Sally

decodoll said:
The Diva Pinup does really cute flowered snoods with orchids attached.
Yes, she does! I won a green flowered one in a cheesecake contest. It's gorgeous. Thanks for reminding me, I'll wear it out with my beaufriend this week.

A lady can always attach a snood to the back of a hat to handle unruly curls on a humid/rainy day. Just roll the hair under, bobby pin it, put on the hat/snood, fix it in place.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Here is the pic of Cathy in Raging Bull wearing the snood. She is drop dead gorgeous in this movie.
raging-bull-2.jpg

I loved the snood on Alysso Milano shown in the pic. I was chatting with someone last year about how much she looks like a *young* Lana Turner. I had come across a photo of Lana, and I just immediately saw Alysso in the face. Pretty strange, but she does have those classic features.

Shimmy Sally

Caledonia said:
I have a fantastic medium to dark green thread/twine interlaced with gold. Would a 40s gal thinking Christmas or some such have used that for a festive touch?
I've inherited a few late 40s dresses with metallic thread and also a bolero with metallic lace and huge brass buttons. It was a post-war fad from what my Mother tells me. She should know, she was there!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Tourbillion said:
Yay! Thanks for the lead on the snood pattern. I thought I was going to have to learn to make netting for a while there.

Though I suppose that (making nets) could be a useful skill, if I am ever stranded on a desert island, I could make nets and catch fish to survive.

Which is why we FL ladies are so much handier to have around. When everyone is hungry on the desert island, we can just whip of our snoods, attach to a bamboo shoot, and voila! Dinner. :D

And thanks for the info Sally. I think I'll get to making one up for the festive season. :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got the snoods that I ordered from Lady MacSnood. I am happy to report that they are beautiful and very well made. I got the ones that have an elastic tie, so I can adjust the tightness of it so it fits perfectly. Highly recommend a snood from her.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
HAIR NET snood HOW TO!

How do you attach a hair net snood? I bought one the other day and realised that I haven't the foggiest on how to wear it. I thought it would be really elasticated and shrink to fit around my hair, but it looks like I am going to have to tie my hair back first.

Can anyone help?

Faye Valentine

i have trouble with it too but what i use (since my hair is raven black), is just regular bobby pins to hold it up. it falls down occasionally, but i just pin it back up when it does.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I just kind of hold all my hair in one hand and use the other one to pull the snood over it all. Then I tuck the straggly bits in and bobby pin it to my head. My hair fills it ok uncurled, but it probably looks best when it's been at least slightly curled. Mine *are* elasticated though, so my advice is probably no help at all!

maisie

Practically Family
You could re-thread it with tighter elastic, this will help it stay on better.

And i have to say a snood does stay on better when hair is curled, as when mine is straight it all falls out and looks a bit stupid! So i only wear it after a few day of having my hair curly and to get it off my neck lol!

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
I just kind of hold all my hair in one hand and use the other one to pull the snood over it all. Then I tuck the straggly bits in and bobby pin it to my head. My hair fills it ok uncurled, but it probably looks best when it's been at least slightly curled. Mine *are* elasticated though, so my advice is probably no help at all!
I do the exct same thing. :D
I just finished knitting my snood last night! :eusa_clap

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I get mine off a lady on ebay, she does both knitted and crocheted ones, pretty well made and can be quite cheap if no one else is bidding! Just keep your eye on ebay, there are a few on there now even.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
crystalface said:
I do the exct same thing. :D
I just finished knitting my snood last night! :eusa_clap

Crystal Face: Where did you find a pattern for a knit one? I only can find ones that are crocheted and I don't crochet!

Avalon

A-List Customer
RetroMom said:
Crystal Face: Where did you find a pattern for a knit one? I only can find ones that are crocheted and I don't crochet!

Yes, please tell us! I've been trying to find a knit snood pattern for a while now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran