Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snow White

Mildred

New in Town
How I stay white

I am a big sissy about the sun. I love how if feels but I want no color at all.
I want Nicole Kidman white skin.:) I use Anthelios with Mexoryl and a large floppy hat, umbrella and long sleeves. The sun leaves me with moles, freckles and wrinkles. I am not in any 20's anymore so I really try to watch it.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My mom has olive skin that tans easily, and my dad has pasty white skin that burns within seconds, so I guess they canceled each other out, giving me pasty skin that neither tans nor burns (severely, anyway)!

I used to use Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturizer w/ SPF 30, but it was quite expensive for the tiny amount, and I didn't feel like it gave me good coverage. Now I use Oil of Olay moisturizer w/ SPF 30 (I think), and it's great. It makes my face greasy, but I have dry skin and use powder, so it's helpful in the fact that it doesn't let the powder dry out my skin.

I'm paranoid more about wrinkles and skin cancer than getting tan. I have a family history of skin cancer, and I can completely see the difference in skin between my mom's best friend (who never sunbathed at all) and my mom (who loved to sunbathe). Wrinkles aren't a terrible thing at all, but I just don't want to speed up the natural aging process any.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
GoldLeaf said:
A bit of info about SPF from Skin Cancer Foundation

I didn't know some of that, nor about the SPF percentages but I believe it, thanks for sharing.

I started a new sunscreen, that's SPF 50, and in three months I've needed to go a shade paler in my foundation!
When I was a child I was perpetually outside, without sunscreen, so I was tanned year round, now that I know about skin cancer, and my family's genetic propensity for different cancers, I use sunscreen regularly, and now, I burn, turn red, and then go white again instead of turning toasty gold[huh]

kerry

One of the Regulars
Its so good that younger women now know the damage skin tanning does. I wish Id known. Im 40 and already noticing the sun damage on my face. I have used sunblock daily for the past five years but ofcourse the damage is already there from my teens, I was never a sunbather but didnt worry about sunblock, nobody did really in the 70s or 80s in the uk.
My youngest son has lilly white skin and I have never let him get any colour. He'll thank me when he is 40 and looks 21:)
The eldest son has only slightly tanned once, a weekend at his dads, I was furious. He is 18 now and I still nag about sunblock.

I am fishbelly white and burn easily, and I live in Florida, on the "Sun Coast"! I have found that the sunblock I like best is Coppertone's WaterBabies. (Here's a link: http://www.coppertone.com/detail_wb_50spectra.aspx )

I use this sunblock every day under my makeup, and have never had my skin break out from it. The key, as I have discovered, is to put on sunblock first thing in the morning, while I'm waiting for coffee to brew. Even if I don't expect to go outside, I block up so I won't have to think about it if suddenly I have to go somewhere. By doing this, I have managed to keep from burning or even getting trucker-arm, in the summer in the sunniest place I've ever lived! The funny thing is, people here will often comment that I need a "healthy tan"--but I don't care if they think I look unstylishly pale now, if it saves me from looking like a leather handbag in ten years!

CourtneyJordan

New in Town
I am naturally one of the palest people in existance (refer to avatar picture at left), so hopefully I can share some of my techniques that help me stay this way. Every day I use Clinique facial sunscreen on my face and exposed upper body parts in SPF 50. This is a gentle yet very powerful sunscreen that really does protect you. Sometimes I even use it on my scalp in the hot summer sun, so I don't burn there. On my limbs, I use Coppertone Waterbabies in SPF 50 (or 60, or 75 whenever I can find it) and reapply daily every 5 hours or so, in the sun, every 1.5 hours. I also use concealer and powder on my face with an additional SPF 15. For extra precaution in the summer, I will carry a large floppy straw hat in my hand, a handpainted parasol under my arm, and a pair of rounded 1930s sunglasses in my handbag! Good luck!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
The internet is great Ellie, I've seen tons of parasols on ebay, a swimsuit store may have them, or a trip to your local Chinatown, the novelty stores there will probably have some.:)

GirlAnachronism

New in Town
I am the parasol queen. XDD I have eight. If you want frilly-ness like I do, I'd recommend Japanese Gothic and Lolita brands BABY THE STARS SHINE BRIGHT ( http://www.babyssb.co.jp/shopping/and/index.html ) and Metamorphose temps de fille ( http://www.simplelife.to/CART5/eindex.cgi?id=132e2118&w2=52 ). Both ship to America. Metamorphose also has some vintage-inspired dresses that are absolutely ADORABLE so I recommend checking that out. But they're pricey. x_x One dress will set you back about $200. Aaaargh.

Anywy. :DD I use Clinique Super City Block SPF 40 on my face and neck, my parasols, and random other sunscreen on my arms and legs.

And I just remembered a site that had all these home recipies to lighten your skin. ( http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/vines/2010/gawthpallor.html ) never tried any, though.

If this post is weird it's because I'm sick as hell right now. x_x Fever=random posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot