Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I get this lot of vintage cufflinks and tie bars today.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
And in it is this nice substantially sized and elegant tie bar by Swank. With cufflinks from Hayward that just happen to match.

The tie bar appears to have a plain central portion at first glance. Nothing very unusual.
4daee0c1.jpg

But upon further investigation I notice that the plain central panel is actually hinged and it opens to reveal this! How cool is that?! I never would have thought that there was such a thing as a combination tie bar/locket. The best part of all is the fact that it still contains what appears to be the original display photo.
cb94aec2.jpg

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Wow! What a surprise! I've never seen anything like that! I've been looking at a few cuff link/tie clip lots on eBay myself, I hope I come across something half this cool. Great find!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
You never know what you might find. :)

(I wonder if you're bidding on what I'm bidding on? :whistling )

I assume you meant me, Major... i'm not actually bidding on any just yet, only watching. But if I do.. watch out!!! [bad]

Just kidding. [angel]

Wobbely

New in Town
Cufflinks

You guys are into old cufflinks too? Will have to get some pics. Hubby and I have two jewelry boxes that belonged to his grandparents. Grandpas had cufflinks, tie tacs, tie pins, you name it. Most of them are Swank I think but some nice ones. Of course Grandmas had a nice Tiffany & Co. ladies pendant watch that works beautifully (14K) Haven't talked hubby into ebaying that one yet. LOL

Wild Root

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
Hmm, cufflinks eh? I only have one pair. I searched high and low and found them - victorian: base metal and mother of pearl. I'll never buy any more. These are exactly what i wanted. Small, understated, unshiny. Beautiful ...

bk

It's all about verity. Don't stop at one pair, heaven knows most men of the day had at least two or three pairs. I buy streamlined styled 30's or 40's links and tie bars and I find them here and there, antique shops are also good places to find such things!

=WR=

It may, indeed, be all about truth.

The ones i have go with everything i own.

Variety is the bane of life. Keep gathering more, keep gathering more. I'm trying to strip my possessions (particularly peripheral accessories) down to the minimum - therefore i acquired the perfect (to my aesthetic) pair of cufflinks. I need no more ...

One can never have enough suits and ties, though :p Must keep gathering so that i gather no moss ...

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, I know, I only have a small box with some links and tie bars in it. Not saying you need to consume a large room with tie bars and links but, to have a small box with a few nice sets to enjoy isn't a bad thing and wouldn't clutter up the joint;)

Don't get me wrong, I have my favorite set of links I enjoy but, it's good to have
a few others to wear. I just feel that having just a few tie bars and two or three pairs of cufflinks is antiquate and offers a nice rotation. I find that Gold links and tie bars look good with Brown suits, and silver looks better with blue or grays.

Just how I do things;)

=WR=

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Only one???

Baron Kurtz said:
Hmm, cufflinks eh? I only have one pair. I searched high and low and found them - victorian: base metal and mother of pearl. I'll never buy any more. These are exactly what i wanted. Small, understated, unshiny. Beautiful ...

bk

Why,...that's unheard of baron. Only one pair. It's like having only one pair of shoes, or one pair of sunglasses,......:rolleyes:

Say,....you did specifically state that you would "never BUY any more".
Maybe you will win my next contest,.....that is if I can come up with a sufficiently difficult problem for it.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Very cool, Maj. Danger! Now, are you going to put a special photo in there?

Hmmm,....maybe, maybe,.....or I could paint a miniature portrait for it.
5/8" x 3/8" is the entire surface area I would have to work with, not too terribly small really.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
True enough,......

Wild Root said:
Nah, leave the original pic in there... she's pretty! It's also vintage and keeps the original charm about the item. Don't touch it, it's fine the way she is!

=WR=

.........but if a certain lady were to capture my heart, I would be tempted, sentimental fool that I am. ;)
Maybe I can find another one of these? There has to be another one out there somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo