Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, I got me this Fez see.....

For those who can appreciate a nice fez (look elsewhere:D). This is another of my attempts. It has made its way to Denmark and graces the head of the next Doctor Who (it's an honour!). Made from two different Wegener hats (one for the felt and one for the sweatband). Custom liner.

fez blue_7.jpg
fez blue_1.jpg
fez blue_2.jpg
fez blue_3.jpg
fez blue_4.jpg
fez blue_5.jpg
fez blue_6.jpg

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great episode. I knew a little of the history but that was a very quick, comprehensive look..... I still really want a fez in my collection. One day.
One of the really interesting points I found was how it was legally mandated for men to wear one. Only other time I heard of a hat being forced on the populace was the British mandating everyone Wear a wool cap on Sunday’s and holidays. Interesting.
Johnny

Great episode. I knew a little of the history but that was a very quick, comprehensive look..... I still really want a fez in my collection. One day.
One of the really interesting points I found was how it was legally mandated for men to wear one. Only other time I heard of a hat being forced on the populace was the British mandating everyone Wear a wool cap on Sunday’s and holidays. Interesting.
Johnny
It is indeed an interesting story. Plenty of fezzes out there, but the American ones are usually shriner variety.

johnnycanuck

Me too, but realistically it would be nothing more than a gag wardrobe item worn to annoy certain people and get a giggle out of others. That being the case, I don't want to spend a small fortune obtaining one but I don't want a cheap costume fez either. As you wrote, one day...
I have been thinking about the ones from
https://www.villagehatshop.com/category/186/1/fez.html
They are wool and if they are not structured (straw basket inside) you could probably pork pie the crown like Sallah in The last crusade.
6EB1123B-80E6-49FB-BED4-AC3F93E285F3.jpeg

26915E41-197F-4A5C-B45F-B8F8DB96AD95.jpeg

No idea If this is a normal way to wear one but it will force it into the square boxy crown rather then looking like Benny from the mummy movie.
4D65F517-96BB-4168-A31A-B355E5FB2706.jpeg

I would wear mine. Always find a reason to wear a fun hat. Between get togethers with friends to sitting around the camp fire after a long day of adventuring in the sun. Sitting at home on a quiet winters night...... or just to make my wife laugh/annoy her.
Johnny

I have been thinking about the ones from
https://www.villagehatshop.com/category/186/1/fez.html
They are wool and if they are not structured (straw basket inside) you could probably pork pie the crown like Sallah in The last crusade.
View attachment 307584
View attachment 307585
No idea If this is a normal way to wear one but it will force it into the square boxy crown rather then looking like Benny from the mummy movie.
View attachment 307586
I would wear mine. Always find a reason to wear a fun hat. Between get togethers with friends to sitting around the camp fire after a long day of adventuring in the sun. Sitting at home on a quiet winters night...... or just to make my wife laugh/annoy her.
Johnny
Fezzes are always made of wool and differ from other hat construction because they are knitted first as an oversized cap. They are then washed in hot water to start both the felting and shrink them down. There are a few videos to be found on youtube about the "last fez maker of Egypt" of which there seem to be several;)

and this one (in Arabic and not subtitled, but some good imagery about the production).

A traditional fez is always structured with the palm leaf base and it is tapered. If it isn't structured or tapered it is considered a chechia. Usually taller, unstructured and straight sided. From the looks of it Sallah is wearing a chechia that was lowered with the pork pie crown. Chchias came both with and without tassels (as did the fez) Benny from "the mummy" wears a kalabouche or tarboosh: unstructured (obviously) and very low crown. The terminology is muddled though and the terms are used very looseley by retailers and makers alike. The military fezzes that were worn by some Italian and German units are called fezzes, but were unstructured.

The very tall fez like hat worn by whirling derwishes is called a "sikke"

Dervish-Hat-2-scaled.jpg

That may be a bit much to wear around the house, but I find my fezzes very comfortable to wear. The masonic and shriner ones are designed for the social gatherings of these groups and that's what the decorations are for. They are not structured and probably have their rigidity from shellac (which is not used for the middle eastern ones).

Edward

Bartender
Fezzes are always made of wool and differ from other hat construction because they are knitted first as an oversized cap. They are then washed in hot water to start both the felting and shrink them down.

A true Basque beret is made in the same way; I saw it done when I visited the Laulhere factory in France in 2017.

@johnnycanuck - The Village Hat Shop fezzes have no structuring internally, just the wool itself.

I have about a dozen Fezzes from the Fez-o-rama.com guys. Not strictly a Trad fez, somewhere between a Fez and a smoking cap. Love 'em. I have a fair few of the low crown models and two high, including the Sons of the Desert model (which I believe is officially tied in with the L&H fan club?).

johnnycanuck

A true Basque beret is made in the same way; I saw it done when I visited the Laulhere factory in France in 2017.

@johnnycanuck - The Village Hat Shop fezzes have no structuring internally, just the wool itself.

I have about a dozen Fezzes from the Fez-o-rama.com guys. Not strictly a Trad fez, somewhere between a Fez and a smoking cap. Love 'em. I have a fair few of the low crown models and two high, including the Sons of the Desert model (which I believe is officially tied in with the L&H fan club?).
I almost bought one of the fez-O-Rama fezzes. They oversold and refunded me my money. Still a little upset about that one. Same with the leopard print fez thevillagehatshop used to sell. When I finally went to pull the trigger it was discontinued.
When I get back to work and the mood is right I will try and pull the trigger again.
Johnny

Edward

Bartender
I almost bought one of the fez-O-Rama fezzes. They oversold and refunded me my money. Still a little upset about that one. Same with the leopard print fez thevillagehatshop used to sell. When I finally went to pull the trigger it was discontinued.
When I get back to work and the mood is right I will try and pull the trigger again.
Johnny

The F-o-R guys make a nice product; All of mine have been fully consistent size wise, and the quality is great. Worth trying one if you get the chance - though definitely if you really like a design, jump on it, I don't think they keep many for very long. I have *almost* all the Cthulu designs they did...

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
It's been a while since there was anything report on fezzes (need to buy me one again soon). But this was up on youtube a few days ago. Gives a nice view into the making of a fez.

I just found the same video on Youtube and then checked here and you had already posted it. Really makes me wish I knew how to make these hats and had the traditional tools to do so.

johnnycanuck

I just found the same video on Youtube and then checked here and you had already posted it. Really makes me wish I knew how to make these hats and had the traditional tools to do so.
You know a lot of people on this forum have said the same thing about fedoras….. now they make them themselves.
Something to think about
Johnny

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
You know a lot of people on this forum have said the same thing about fedoras….. now they make them themselves.
Something to think about
Johnny
Agreed. I own a large amount of hat-making tools for dress hats (mostly fedoras) since there are some specific tools for other dress hats that I do not own yet. The biggest hurdle is needing a mentor for the Fez.

I once had the chance to get a set of these molds but was outbid. I think I posted the auction pics here in this thread. Still bugs me I didn't win that auction.

Agreed. I own a large amount of hat-making tools for dress hats (mostly fedoras) since there are some specific tools for other dress hats that I do not own yet. The biggest hurdle is needing a mentor for the Fez.
You know how to make a fedora, which is more difficult than a fez. They are usually not very high end. What to use to structure them is the hardest part I think.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I once had the chance to get a set of these molds but was outbid. I think I posted the auction pics here in this thread. Still bugs me I didn't win that auction.

You know how to make a fedora, which is more difficult than a fez. They are usually not very high end. What to use to structure them is the hardest part I think.

Yeah, I remember that post about the auction from 4 years ago. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/so-i-got-me-this-fez-see.52862/page-9#post-2339686

I have to imagine that the inner and outer molds are sized and that one would need a whole set if they wanted to make them for everyone. If one didn't need to stay true to the straw stabilizer one could probably use buckram or sinamay that is frequently used in millinery.

Yeah, I remember that post about the auction from 4 years ago. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/so-i-got-me-this-fez-see.52862/page-9#post-2339686

I have to imagine that the inner and outer molds are sized and that one would need a whole set if they wanted to make them for everyone. If one didn't need to stay true to the straw stabilizer one could probably use buckram or sinamay that is frequently used in millinery.
Yes, that would likely mean a ton of brass to have these in various sizes and maybe heights too. And you wouldn't have access to the woven palm leaf insides of the traditional fezzes. So it would be inevitable to update the way they were manufactured. They can be made on hat blocks and buckram or cinamay is an excellent idea (hadn't thought of that when I made mine). Worth it to find a few cheap hats somewhere to use for a conversion and play around for a bit.

^^^^^ That is much cooler that the one that just arrived at my door. It does have the box, the the interior has no sweat band or size marked. It is too small for my size 7-1/2 noggin.

1659319494234.png

The seller (Horstmann) was established in 1815 and was under this name from 1893 to 1940. So it's at least 82 years old -- and the graphics on the box appear older to my eye, but what do I know?

1660167683359.png

1660167713232.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko