Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So? Is it a sin...

JCBurns

Familiar Face
To be wearing a vintage Stetson in the rain? Now honestly, that's why I buy a hat...to keep the rain and snow and sun off my face. But will I be persecuted for getting a nice vintage hat wet? Your thoughts please..and quickly...it's raining here and I have to leave work soon!

JCBurns

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Oh, heck, no way is it a sin. The hat was made for it, and the vintage ones are better made for that. If it doesn't bother you (as it wouldn't bother me), wear it. Some people can't bring themselves to, but what's the point of getting a good, solid vintage lid if you're not going to use it?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Somebody recently said, in this forum, "A man who has a good hat doesn't have to have sense enough to come in out of the rain." As an added thought, do you think beavers, rabbits, and sheep never get wet? :rolleyes:

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, wear it in the rain. I've actually had a hat or two keep their shape better after a good soak in the rain.

S

Samsa

One of the very first things I did with my vintage Stetson was stand outside in a downpour wearing it.

It's your hat to do with as you please. And yes, the hat was indeed made to protect its wearer from the elements, which include rain and snow and hail, of course.
And yes again, your vintage Stetson will probably stand up to those elements better than a more recently made one will.
But then, a car was made to drive, but that doesn't mean I would use a boat-tailed Auburn as my daily commute mobile, for reasons that seem obvious to me. If another person wished to subject his car to such rigors, well, far be it from me to suggest he not do that.
This isn't a perfect analogy. A car isn't a hat. The dollar amounts aren't even close, and the case can be reasonably made that a car benefits from being taken on the occasional spin. (It keeps things from seizing up and the seals and gaskets from drying out, etc.)
My only objection here would be to any suggestion that your vintage hat is somehow indestructible, that wearing it on a daily basis, in all kinds of weather, will do it no harm. Those like-new vintage hats we so treasure are in that condition because they WEREN'T worn on a daily basis, in all kinds of weather, for years on end. The large majority of them got put away a long time ago, where they sat unused, awaiting our attentions.
Having said all that, know that I nonetheless wear my vintage hats with far greater frequency than I wear my newer ones. Why? Because they're better hats! (With the exception of a couple of customs.) They look better and for that reason I feel better wearing them. But I have so many of them now (there's never enough, it seems) that I have my pristine ones (which I avoid wearing under harsh conditions), and my beaters (which look pretty cool, I think, but are faded or moth-bitten or in some way damaged beyond any reasonable attempt at renovation, and for that reason get worn when I expect to get dirty or wet or sweaty), and an assortment in conditions between those extremes. And if I don't know what the day may have in store for me, I carry a spare hat or two in the car. And I bet I'm not the only one here who does.
So yeah, I wear all my hats, even the very, very clean ones that came into my possession in deadstock condition. Still, I'm thoughtful about it. Heck, many of them are older than I am. And I ain't a kid. Far from it. Indeed, I've gotten to the point where I believe that old things, and people, are deserving of respect, if for no other reason than their seniority.
They'll stay in good shape under my stewardship.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, please wear it in the rain and snow and sleet and scorching heat.Hats look their best when used.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Wear your hat in the rain? Ask this guy:

bogart.jpg

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
RBH said:
Kentucky my friend, you are wise beyound your years!

Wear you hat JC, take care of it - but wear it.

Why thank you, RBH. But I must admit, its easy to be wise beyond my years when Men beyond my years, like Michaelson, tell me things that come in handy :D

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Hat are made to wear...

I would not where my best vintage Borsalino out in a rain down-pour if I had a hat of lesser value in the same color. I do not take my best hats when I am tent camping. Great vintage hat are getting harder to find and command a much higher price than just a few years ago. I am thankful that I own enough hats that I can pick and choose. I consider myself to be a collector, but I wear every hat that I buy.

ShortClara

One Too Many
You know...

When I see a thread about sins, I do not expect to read about hats. *yawn* A little nudity... something....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner