Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, is there an elegant way to put air in your tires?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I can't think of a way to put air in my tires that doesn't involve leaning on the ground or contorting myself in various ways that gives passers by views I'm not looking to showcase.

How do you do it? Did full serve stations ever do this?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I feel your pain, PSG -- I once had to change a tire by the side of the road in a skirt and heels. If there was a Gentleman in the world that day, he didn't show his face. Not that I can't wield a lug wrench when I have to, but sometimes I'd rather not. There is no elegant way to do it.

Full service gas stations did indeed do such things though -- my grandfather used to pride himself on checking the pressure on every car's tires while the tank was filling.

Nashoba

One Too Many
I know this is horrible to admit, but I usually try to use my girlish charms to get someone else to do it for me :eek: And I don't think I've changed a tire since my husband insisted on teaching me, we have free roadside through our insurance.
But I think you're right. I don't think there's an elegant way to do it. Makes me kind of wish we still had those full service stations...

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I call AAA when my car becomes immobile. My dad taught me in high school but it's not something I want to do myself unless there is no other choice.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
My husband worked a full service gas a couple of years ago in Wisconsin before we move to Georgia. He said that would check the tire pressure if someone would ask or if he saw they were low. I think they are still open, you pull and hear the ding-ding.

katiepickle

New in Town
If you go to a station that has a repair shop attached one of the mechanics will usually do it for you without you having to ask. Even if you are on a bicycle!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
If all else fails and you must to it yourself:

Just sqat down with your skirt tucked under your fanny. Remember to keep your skirt under you and you should be ok. And if someone gets a glimpse of your stocking top, mores the better. You might get a little help with the other 3 tires.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I've never really had a problem with this. Just squat down rather than bending at the waist.

I change my own tires. I did it twice in one week, both times on my way to work with nice clothes and heels on. One of those times, I was changing one of my boyfriend's tires and teaching him how to do it, since he didn't know. I can change a tire in about 15 minutes. Who has time to wait for AAA?

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
If you use a quick service oil change place, they normally check your tire pressure. If you are having the oil changed every 3 months you should be ok.

How often are you having to do this? Do you have a slow leak in one of your tires?

Other than to do this during the week-end while running errands, you just have to plan your dressing around this.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Also, a tip: keep hand wipes in your glove box for times when you're dressed nice and have to get your hands dirty.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
jgilbert said:
How often are you having to do this? Do you have a slow leak in one of your tires?

Other than to do this during the week-end while running errands, you just have to plan your dressing around this.

I put air in all of my tires about every two months or less. I try and check them monthly with a gauge but always keep an eye on them.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
hotrod_elf said:
My husband worked a full service gas a couple of years ago in Wisconsin before we move to Georgia. He said that would check the tire pressure if someone would ask or if he saw they were low. I think they are still open, you pull and hear the ding-ding.

Oh, the ding! ding! I recall hearing that when I was a kid.

I'm going to find a full service station in my area, I will I will!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Grnidwitch said:
If all else fails and you must to it yourself:

Just sqat down with your skirt tucked under your fanny. Remember to keep your skirt under you and you should be ok. And if someone gets a glimpse of your stocking top, mores the better. You might get a little help with the other 3 tires.

Oh my husband would be more than happy to put air in my tires, but he's not always with me when I notice they need air. It's also the kind of thing I like to do on my own, unless I'm at an actual full service station (which I'm on a mission to find now.)

Nashoba

One Too Many
I'm really terrible. The cars are my husband's chore and I know this is bad but I don't know a thing about them. My check engine light came on in the car and since he isn't here to deal with it, i've just been driving his truck :eek: I went far enough to take it to autozone and they told me it was the EGR emmissions valve, which meant nothing to me so I'm still driving the truck. I'm not very self-sufficient in some things and cars are one of them. One of his Marines promised to look at it for me but hasn't gotten a chance to. I figure it will wait until he comes back home.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Please don't stone me!

...but I have never put air in my car's tires, or change anything,or check any mechanics :eek: never,ever... I just drive the darn thing [huh]
( I do fill it up thou, that I do.:) )
I'm helpless that way.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
...but I have never put air in my car's tires, or change anything,or check any mechanics :eek: never,ever... I just drive the darn thing [huh]
( I do fill it up thou, that I do.:) )
I'm helpless that way.

Do you get it inspected every year??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats