Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So through with COOL!

Foofoogal

Banned
My son in law says "sweet" all the time. I thought it was just him but now see the chart and he fits the timeline. I now catch myself saying it. I have a very bad habit of saying "crap" a lot and it is the only cuss word I say but am trying very hard to stop it. My baby sister is constantly telling me to not say "I swear.":eusa_doh: I don't see it the same way she does but still trying not to say it out of respect to her. So, crap I swear is out if I can swing it.

Word "Cool" is so ingrained in me I am not sure if I can be cool and not say it. lol
I think I am becoming like those monkeys, "see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil." I have to do this to stay cool after this last year.
I do think LizzieMaine and the FL are cool as all my cyber friends here are though.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
next_essay_chart.gif

Just realized, the only reason groovy ever became a popular term in the sixties is because it ws coined by jazz hipsters in the thirties or forties.

In the groove, groovy.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I take it Forgotten man will not be saying "money" any time soon. It was coined in the movie Swingers as an expression of one of the characters to mean cool, good etc. It seems to have caught on.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I have actually been working at abolishing "those" uncool phrases from my lingo for a while now... It is kind of a fun challenge to see what I can come up with for example the Bees Knees or using the word splendid... Bees Knees is from the 20's and splended to me sounds very turn of the centuryish however I have a very bad habit of saying way to many likes for my own good and I sometimes end up sounding like a valley girl! Like OMG!:rolleyes: :eek:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lefty said:
neye-eese ("nice", extreme long-form)
Then there's niceshhh (not quite extreme long-form).

On reflection, it may be a Chicago inner city thing. Or not. [huh]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
All very American...

Tomasso said:

Probably depends on your social class, 'your era,' and also the geographical area and culture you are from [huh]

I cannot relate to any of the words (above) to be honest that I would find myself using on a day-to-day basis.

But then, there are words that I use that wouldn't feature in other people's vocabulary. As a young child, the kids in the street would use a word called "WEEKER" to say that something was 'splendid,' or 'frightfully spendid!' eg:

"Did ya see yer mon's duncher? sure it was WEEKER!!";)

(Oxford-English Interpretation: "Did you happen to spot that gentleman's trilby? it was absolutely splendid!")

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I think a British version of the chart would be very different from the US chart in the 1950s, less so in the 60 and 70s and (to my hearing) the two would be very similar in the 90s and 00s. A result of globalization, perhaps.

What happened to 'ginchy'?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Our "cool" equivalent was "snarky," as in "hey, that's a pretty snarky lunchbox." Nowadays, of course, that perfectly serviceable word has been co-opted by smart-mouthed bloggers who've given it a totally different meaning. But we had it first.

There was an insufferable kid I knew who'd gone to boarding school before his father suffered reversals and he ended up in our neighborhood, and he would habitually use the word "shag" as a cool-equivalent. "Hey, look, somebody dropped a dollar bill on the ground!" "Whoa! Shag!"

The superlative of "shag" was "mega-shag," which was too insufferable for words.

Burnsie

"Swell" is my word of choice. I use it so often that people think I'm "uncool". But I think "swell" is "real george".

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
What has become of "Neat", "Neat-O", "Doozy" and "Snakey" as superlatives, and "Wet Smack", "Drip", and "Fish" as terms of disapproval?

"Here's to giraffes and other long-neckers!"

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
Our "cool" equivalent was "snarky," as in "hey, that's a pretty snarky lunchbox." Nowadays, of course, that perfectly serviceable word has been co-opted by smart-mouthed bloggers who've given it a totally different meaning. But we had it first.

There was an insufferable kid I knew who'd gone to boarding school before his father suffered reversals and he ended up in our neighborhood, and he would habitually use the word "shag" as a cool-equivalent. "Hey, look, somebody dropped a dollar bill on the ground!" "Whoa! Shag!"

The superlative of "shag" was "mega-shag," which was too insufferable for words.

Maybe "snarky" wasn't co-opted, maybe it's just regional. I never heard it used the way that you describe here in Northern California.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL