Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Damn! Now, it's happening. Now, all thurinigan (flat)renters become the smokedetectors forced by law, too!

Ok, primary, it's not a bad think. BUT secondary, the problem is the evil technological potential of these "monitoring devices", the general problem on german data-protection and the prospective possibilties! :confused::confused::confused:o_O

In Thuringia, the smokedetectors have to be installed in every (rental)flat until 31. Decembre 2018. Our housebuilding-coorporative will install the devices on 01.06.2016.

I'm really not thinking about "New World Order/1984" or "conspiracy theories", but the technological potential of the newer models with radiosignal- and ultrasonic-facilities is just alarming for thinking people!
Actual, these newer devices are just "borderline" and their ultrasonic-security-system is of course just scanning 60cm around if surrounding air is free, but WHAT will come NEXT by law??? :confused: Microphones, cameras, full scan???

Edward

Bartender
Know what really yicks me off? Having to drop everything in the middle of a busy week for an emergency appendectomy.

Yowch. Hope you're doing okay. I had mine out in energency surgery twenty years ago, not fun... As I recall, the time to be very careful is when the wound stops being sore *all* the time... just when you move....

I looked out the window just now to find that the kids had somehow retrieved my car from the ER parking lot. Since none of them knows how to drive a standard, I am quite impressed with whatever ingenuity they demonstrated during the night....

Let's hope their ingenious methods won't come to involve a clutch job. That might hurt worse than an appendectomy.

If you pop those stitches Lizz, your kitty will have fresh liver & tripe for supper.:rolleyes:.....prehaps not a good idea to lift weights a few days after abdominal surgery.

An inguinal hernia repair was among my more recent experiences in the hacksaw artist's studio.

The procedure has a 90-some percent success rate. Should it be unsuccessful, subsequent attempts have diminishing odds of fixing the problem for good.

It was made clear as could be that lifting anything heavier than 10 pounds for some weeks following the surgery increased my risks of ending up among that less-fortunate few percent.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
popcorn.jpg

Fortunately I come from a long line of longshoremen.

Trivial complaint? Maybe in the grander scheme, but in my little world this rapid obsolescence of my electronic communications devices is a not-inexpensive annoyance.

I take money over my phone via Square. I send photos and the occasional video. This has presented no real difficulty since this past holiday season, when my wife presented me with the latest version of Apple's phone. But before then, when I was working with ancient (circa 2010) technology, I was told more than once that it wouldn't be long until my "device" would no longer be "supported."

If I had to, I could get around in a Model T. I prefer a world in which I replace things after those things have had a long service life, and then only when the cost of repairs can no longer justified.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Trivial complaint? Maybe in the grander scheme, but in my little world this rapid obsolescence of my electronic communications devices is a not-inexpensive annoyance.

I take money over my phone via Square. I send photos and the occasional video. This has presented no real difficulty since this past holiday season, when my wife presented me with the latest version of Apple's phone. But before then, when I was working with ancient (circa 2010) technology, I was told more than once that it wouldn't be long until my "device" would no longer be "supported."

If I had to, I could get around in a Model T. I prefer a world in which I replace things after those things have had a long service life, and then only when the cost of repairs can no longer justified.

I get around in a ’46 pickup.

Luckily, the places I have to go do not require the use of the freeways. ;)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Last time I took my ’46 on the freeway & even though I was
driving the designated speed limit...

The traffic was traveling at faster speeds that I had the sensation I was traveling backwards!

I immediately turn off on the nearest exit.

I now take the access roads & back-roads which is really quite nice & I enjoy the scenery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace