Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
My parents divorced after 29 years of marriage, and my wife's parents divorced after 57 years. Both of our parents married before each spouse was little more than teenagers (In fact, her mom was 17 and mine was 18: really too damned young.) We will celebrate 30 years in August.

Both of us decided early on (unlike our parents) that we would never buy into that work young/ marry young/ die young mentality: education came first, and there was to be no wedding bells until we were established in our careers. By the time we were married in our early 30's we'd each lived a lot and had seen a lot. We'd each lived on our own and if there were any rough edges in the marriage it was because we were both somewhat set in our ways as individuals and had to learn to mesh as a family.

Back to things that tick me off...I may have mentioned this before, but can't remember, but....

Backpacks. When I am dictator, anyone caught wearing a backpack will be summarily stuffed into said backpack, hung from a tree and beaten with a baseball bat until the rivers run red with their blood.

Any context? No one ever, no school kid, no hiker, no one will ever be allowed to wear a backpack in any situation? Any reason for this animus?

Any context? No one ever, no school kid, no hiker, no one will ever be allowed to wear a backpack in any situation? Any reason for this animus?

I'm willing to limit it to no one over the age of 12. And the reason is because people are totally oblivious to the fact that they are wearing one, and have no qualms about slapping people in the face with it, knocking your plate off the table, the coffee out of your hand, backing up into you on an elevator or crowded bus, swinging it around in a crowd, etc. In short, people use it as a club, and should be punished in similar fashion.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And for some reason backpack-wearers on buses, subways, and other means of public conveyance always seem to feel that the backpack is sentient, and thus entitled to a seat of its own. I support fully the elimination of backpacks -- with the sole exceptions of little children and hearty gentlemen wearing lederhosen and Alpine hats while singing lusty choruses of "The Happy Wanderer."

I carried my books to school in an old pillowcase.

When the weather is inviting, I often like to get out and ride my bicycle, usually in the direction of the local package store. I use a backpack to carry home a twelve pack of icy cold, refreshing reward for having done something healthy for myself and the environment.

Re backpacks. Perhaps - under the HH / LM dictatorship, we can define the issue as one of behavior and not of the inanimate object.

So, I am on board and fully supportive of outlawing all the obnoxious, self-centered behavior you identified with backpack users. But I would extend those laws to all those who carry luggage and to the roller luggage people as well, as I have seen some the-world-revolves-around-me behavior from roller luggage people.

However, as someone who is respectful of other people, is careful that my backpack or, sometime, tote doesn't hit others, doesn't knock things over and, never ever is given its own seat (except on truly empty or nearly empty subways), can we allow those of us who use them in a respectful way, to continue to do so?

Maybe I give my parents too much credit, but I was raised to be respectful of other people and particularly respectful when in public places. My parents emphasized (as little kids can do) not to push, tug, run into, cut off, hit with your book bag, etc. others. Having been raised that way, and seeing the logic and respect of it as an adult, I continue to behave that way.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Last time I was on a bus was in elementary when I was 9.
The only time I was on a subway was in Tokyo in 1968.
It was very crowded but I managed to find a seat.
I saw an elderly Japanese woman standing & I offered her my seat.
She sat down but I sensed something. The men gave me a look that
was not too comforting to say the least.
I wondered if I had done something that is not the custom over there.
Standing up ( I'm 6'3") all I saw was the top of the heads.

Note to myself:
Don't ever place my backpack next to my seat, especially in Maine.:D

So, I am on board and fully supportive of outlawing all the obnoxious, self-centered behavior you identified with backpack users. But I would extend those laws to all those who carry luggage and to the roller luggage people as well, as I have seen some the-world-revolves-around-me behavior from roller luggage people.

Oh don't get me started on the roller bag/carry-on crowd. If you knew those planks in my platform, you'd never vote for me.

Traveling by train tonight. (2000 mile trip)
I borrowed a couple of roller-bags/carry-on.

This is my first time for me.
Is there something I should know or do or not do ?

Thanks.

Unless you paid for a ticket for your bag, it does get its own seat. Don't hit anyone with your bag. Remember you are not the only passenger on the train. Other than that, enjoy your trip.

Oh don't get me started on the roller bag/carry-on crowd. If you knew those planks in my platform, you'd never vote for me.

I know (or assume) you are kidding at a level, but it really is about personal behavior, having a sense of common decency and respect for others. On a crowded subway, I always take by backpack off and hold it in front of me so that it isn't swinging around and hitting someone or blocking someone's way. I am amazed at how rude people are with their bags - all types of bags.

Personally, I don't use rolling luggage, but I know a lot of people love it and when I used to travel for business a lot, I encountered it all the time. Again, it's all about the person - some users are very conscious of others and are careful about not being rude; others aren't.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Unless you paid for a ticket for your bag, it does get its own seat. Don't hit anyone with your bag. Remember you are not the only passenger on the train. Other than that, enjoy your trip.

Thanks,
Checking on the ticket, I notice that I will be traveling on a compartment which includes a bed.
So I probably won't be bothering other passengers.
About the only problem is Polo who on occasions snores heavily. :eusa_doh:

But seriously, I usually have no problems when I go out in public. About the only time
is when I was in a big city & there was a man lying on the sidewalk & people just went
around him as if nothing at all. I stopped, but my friend told me to not get involve, that
he was just a wino or a bum.
But I felt sorry for the poor chap .
He asked for some change to buy food. I told him since we were near a restaurant,
I would buy him a plate.
This made him mad & cursed at me.
My friend told me that he wasn't intending on buying food. [huh]

Thanks,
Checking on the ticket, I notice that I will be traveling on a compartment which includes a bed.
So I probably won't be bothering other passengers.
About the only problem is Polo who on occasions snores heavily. :eusa_doh:

But seriously, I usually have no problems when I go out in public. About the only time
is when I was in a big city & there was a man lying on the sidewalk & people just went
around him as if nothing at all. I stopped, but my friend told me to not get involve, that
he was just a wino or a bum.
But I felt sorry for the poor chap .
He asked for some change to buy food. I told him since we were near a restaurant,
I would buy him a plate.
This made him mad & cursed at me.
My friend told me that he wasn't intending on buying food. [huh]

That has happened to both my girlfriend and me many times in NYC when we have tried to buy what-appear-to-be homeless people asking for money for food.

And while some have yelled at us, we have met a few over the years who seemed genuinely appreciative and became "regulars" as we bought them breakfast or lunch whenever we went by. I have to admit though, these are the exceptions, as most just want the money even though they say they want food.

That said, and everyone should give charity in the way they want, I do think it is probably better for us to give to a trusted (after really researching it) charity that can provide more holistic help. However (now I will contradict myself), sometime a instant of help - a sandwich, a soda (one guy loved Pepsi so much, that I would have bought him several cases of it if he could have taken them with him) - is a wonderful moment that lifts everyone involved spirits.

I know (or assume) you are kidding at a level, but it really is about personal behavior, having a sense of common decency and respect for others. On a crowded subway, I always take by backpack off and hold it in front of me so that it isn't swinging around and hitting someone or blocking someone's way. I am amazed at how rude people are with their bags - all types of bags.

Personally, I don't use rolling luggage, but I know a lot of people love it and when I used to travel for business a lot, I encountered it all the time. Again, it's all about the person - some users are very conscious of others and are careful about not being rude; others aren't.

Yes, I'm being facetious. I don't really want backpack wearers bludgeoned to death, I just wish they would recognize that the backpack is a large protrusion from their person, one that often invades others' space.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Back to things that tick me off...I may have mentioned this before, but can't remember, but....

Backpacks. When I am dictator, anyone caught wearing a backpack will be summarily stuffed into said backpack, hung from a tree and beaten with a baseball bat until the rivers run red with their blood.

I think you posted this in the wrong thread. It sounds more like, "you know your getting old when!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We have these idiotic new electronic phones at work which, if you wait more than two seconds between dialing a digit of the number you're trying to call, will cut you off and go back to dial tone. Given the fact that we often have to dial ten stupid digits now, and given the fact that my vision seems to be deteriorating by the day, it sometimes takes me more than two seconds to figure out what the next number I need to dial is. Technology has no consideration for the fact that people age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL