Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

"So trivial, yet it really ticks you off."

Those chirpy "family news" missives that are enclosed with holiday cards...
Are people still doing that? My wife didn't immediately jump on that particular bandwagon, but once she did she'd rely fairly heavily on my memory as we did the "year in review" thing. From my perspective it merely added to the pressures associated with the hustle and bustle of the holidays, none of which I'm fond of anyway. She stopped including that letter almost immediately after becoming part of the Facebook crowd, as did most of our family and friends, so I assumed that had become the "new normal"--no need for a summary review at the end of the year if you're getting live updates on social media daily.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Moving out is the last of their problems at the moment. Numbers are down - there is a marked inability to recruit young men, even in areas of high unemployment...

My sister called last week, my eighteen year old nephew wants to enlist in the Army, and go Ranger; :eek:vainly tried to talk him out of it,
argued for university instead but the kid isn't listening...:(

Typing anything on a Smart Phone -- it's like trying to write with a WWII Enigma machine! The keyboard is so tiny that you make the EXACT same typo at least a dozen times in a row. It amazes me that the geniuses in Silicon Valley haven't figured out how to enlarge it yet.

Last edited:
It was on our news last night: sheer daylight robbery!

Every time this come up, I argue the same thing - companies spend billions of dollars advertising their brands and, then, undermine all that work with sneaky, cheap, ugly and insulting moves like this.

I love Oreo cookies and, growing up and for years as an adult, I had a feel-good opinion of Oreo and their parent company Nabisco. They made one of my favorite cookies and, let's be honest, making cookies seemed like a fun thing for a company to do, etc. But once they started tweaking the package size down while keeping the price unchanged, I felt cheated - I felt like they were intentionally trying to deceive me.

Price increases I understand and I don't automatically get mad at a company for doing that as the facts and circumstances matter. But trying to sneak by a price increase by surreptitiously decreasing the size of the package is obnoxious and makes me angry at the company.

I still eat Oreos (I haven't lost my mind), but feel less brand loyalty and, overall, feel negative toward the company.

Every time this come up, I argue the same thing - companies spend billions of dollars advertising their brands and, then, undermine all that work with sneaky, cheap, ugly and insulting moves like this.

I love Oreo cookies and, growing up and for years as an adult, I had a feel-good opinion of Oreo and their parent company Nabisco. They made one of my favorite cookies and, let's be honest, making cookies seemed like a fun thing for a company to do, etc. But once they started tweaking the package size down while keeping the price unchanged, I felt cheated - I felt like they were intentionally trying to deceive me.

Price increases I understand and I don't automatically get mad at a company for doing that as the facts and circumstances matter. But trying to sneak by a price increase by surreptitiously decreasing the size of the package is obnoxious and makes me angry at the company.

I still eat Oreos (I haven't lost my mind), but feel less brand loyalty and, overall, feel negative toward the company.

Ice cream is another product that has seen a sneaky decrease in packaging size. Ice cream used to be sold in half-gallon cartons, a full 64 fluid ounces. Packaging has shrunk to a standard 48 ounce carton, but the consumer still associates that with the old "half-gallon". Blue Bell Ice Cream (from Brenham, Texas), one of the reasons we stay alive, makes a big deal that they still sell a full half-gallon. They even mark it on the label:

GbyOQzAo.jpg

As for cookies, I switched to Fig Newtons a long time ago, and I can honestly say I'm a better man for it.

Ice cream is another product that has seen a sneaky decrease in packaging size. Ice cream used to be sold in half-gallon cartons, a full 64 fluid ounces. Packaging has shrunk to a standard 48 ounce carton, but the consumer still associates that with the old "half-gallon". Blue Bell Ice Cream (from Brenham, Texas), one of the reasons we stay alive, makes a big deal that they still sell a full half-gallon. They even mark it on the label:

GbyOQzAo.jpg

As for cookies, I switched to Fig Newtons a long time ago, and I can honestly say I'm a better man for it.

Good for Blue Bell. All this shrinking has created odd "standard" sizes - it's so obnoxious.

I enjoy a Fig Newton now and then - a nice classic that's not too sweet. Though, I'm not a regular enough buyer of them to know - has their package shrunk as well?

...I enjoy a Fig Newton now and then - a nice classic that's not too sweet. Though, I'm not a regular enough buyer of them to know - has their package shrunk as well?
Yes. The packaging now includes a plastic tray that holds the cookies in two rows, and in the process occupies space that used to be occupied by more cookies. The package itself is not much more than a plastic envelope with a "resealable" top that rarely, if ever, actually reseals well enough to provide an air-tight seal to keep the cookies fresh if you don't finish eating them within a few days. That being said, this is pretty much how nearly all cookies are packaged these days unless you buy them in bulk at one of the "big box" stores.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
There's a Canadian satirical show on CBC called "This Hour Has 22 Minutes", a play on both the short length of a programme (in this case a half hour sitcom) and a much older Canadian CBC political show from the 60s "This Hour Has Seven Days".

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Small thing that annoys me: Grown ups whizzing around on kid's scooters. I just want to say "You're an adult now. Please try to act like one." (Followed by a brisk but grumpy "and get off my lawn!") At first I thought it was a "Hipster" thing, but recent sightings do not necessarily support that theory.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many

Ah, Nabisco, the makers of Ritz crackers, which I associate with my earliest school lunch boxes and still like very much. I think they were called something else in Melbourne (my first school was there, because we lived there for a few years in the late 60s/early 70s). The local name might have been Salada, but I shall have to look that up! Nostalgia.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Small thing that annoys me: Grown ups whizzing around on kid's scooters. I just want to say "You're an adult now. Please try to act like one." (Followed by a brisk but grumpy "and get off my lawn!") At first I thought it was a "Hipster" thing, but recent sightings do not necessarily support that theory.

At least this chap doesn't look embarrassing, but I agree with you - it's regressive behaviour. I come across it a lot when I'm working in central London: it's a hipster thing that's spread out to City professionals and students.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
My sister called last week, my eighteen year old nephew wants to enlist in the Army, and go Ranger; :eek:vainly tried to talk him out of it,
argued for university instead but the kid isn't listening...:(

The worst thing they've done is to try to 'reflect society' and resemble civilian life when the whole point is to have an ethos that is distinct from 'divvy street'.

At least this chap doesn't look embarrassing, but I agree with you - it's regressive behaviour. I come across it a lot when I'm working in central London: it's a hipster thing that's spread out to City professionals and students.

Funnily, that thing seems to be long gone, in old Germany. I remember this trend maybe ten to fifteen years ago, but curiously, it disappeared and was replaced by classic bicycle. ;)

Now hipsterism:

depositphotos_52384509-stock-photo-hipster-woman-with-headphones.jpg

;););)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Funnily, that thing seems to be long gone, in old Germany. I remember this trend maybe ten to fifteen years ago, but curiously, it disappeared and was replaced by classic bicycle. ;)

Now hipsterism:

depositphotos_52384509-stock-photo-hipster-woman-with-headphones.jpg

;););)
Oh dear. Looks straight out of Shoreditch, the Hipster Capital of London: there's even a 'silicon roundabout'. It was more interesting and more real when it was a working-class area.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
... Re. the latter comment, I shouldn't say it because I work in property management and should be delighted tat values are rising and 'a better type of person' is moving in. But in reality I think it's creating an increasingly antiseptic and conformist atmosphere - as well as, of course, spiralling inequality leading to unwelcome political developments of both 'right' and 'left'.

Yes. The packaging now includes a plastic tray that holds the cookies in two rows, and in the process occupies space that used to be occupied by more cookies. The package itself is not much more than a plastic envelope with a "resealable" top that rarely, if ever, actually reseals well enough to provide an air-tight seal to keep the cookies fresh if you don't finish eating them within a few days. That being said, this is pretty much how nearly all cookies are packaged these days unless you buy them in bulk at one of the "big box" stores.

Oreo does that same stupid "resealable" top that is in some crazy oval shape that (1) makes it hard to get to the cookies not under the actual oval itself and (2) (as you noted) doesn't consistent make an airtight seal so they either go stale or you have to seal the "sealed" package in a ziplock bag (which is what we do). Why can't they just make the cookie package a ziplock as some companies do for some products as that seal actually works.

And don't expect the media to do anything about it. After all, there's only about 40 minutes of content in an edition of "60 Minutes."

Fair (and funny) point*, but the local news stations in NYC - as do the tabloids - love to bash companies so I'm surprised they don't pound this point more. I think I've seen it periodically hit the local news, but won't swear to it.

* What's odd, now that shows stream, you can really see the run times and they are all over the map. Some shows align to the "old" model of about 22 minutes for a "30 minute" show and 44 minutes for an "hour" show, but you'll also see shows run for a full 30 minutes or hour or even some odd run times. The old model of having commercials for first run and syndication is changing, so I guess there is no one-size-fits-all new model and everybody is winging it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana