Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
This would have been my concern, far beyond being peeved that the nurse didn't understand that "No" was a complete sentence. With me, the conversation would have gone like this:

Nure: "Can I take your blood pressure on your left arm?"
Me: "No."
Nurse: "But this is a left handed blood pressure cuff."
Me: "And there's a medical reason why you can't use my left arm. You are supposed to know this, and the fact that you don't is alarming on many levels. Therefore, you will take my blood pressure from my right arm, and I'll need to have a discussion with your supervisor."

I don’t get the courtesy by some nurses by asking a question. They simply assume.

At the dentist, I tell them before scheduling an appointment that I prefer a “happy pill” instead of the “needles” (long story)
to knock me out.

They agree . But when I see the needle, I refuse to open my mouth & my friends with me get embarrassed by my behaving like a
child. They feel that the word of the doctor is law & I should never question them.

I tell my friends, it’s my mouth & I’ll do as I please. The nurse usually apologizes & complies.
Once I’m out...they can give me all the darn shots they want.

PS: To young parents with kids...please...don’t ever put the fear of doctors or hospitals as a threat to punish.
It could have deep repercussions later in life.
Also don’t ever let (if possible) a rookie nurse/dentist administer novocaine shots. :eeek:

Last edited:

Hercule

Practically Family
...But daily, people take the escalator up, step off, then stand there, looking left, looking right, unsure what to do next. Meanwhile, other people are right behind them and their path is coming to an end. More than once I've had to push people out of the way to prevent 37 people on the escalator from tumbling down like dominoes.

Sounds like the exit at the grocery store.

It's best to remember that people generally aren't out to annoy other people. They don't mean to be rude or inconsiderate or thoughtless or whatever else we wish people wouldn't be.

So, with that in mind, it's wise NOT to adopt a superior tone when suggesting folks go about doing things in a manner that messes up other people's routines. You know, two wrongs don't make a right, etc. No point in belittling.

I have to remind myself of this constantly, it seems, seeing how the world is just chock full of stupid, worthless ***holes.

It's best to remember that people generally aren't out to annoy other people. They don't mean to be rude or inconsiderate or thoughtless or whatever else we wish people wouldn't be.

So, with that in mind, it's wise NOT to adopt a superior tone when suggesting folks go about doing things in a manner that messes up other people's routines. You know, two wrongs don't make a right, etc. No point in belittling.

I have to remind myself of this constantly, it seems, seeing how the world is just chock full of stupid, worthless ***holes.

This is good advice in general. But when peoples' inconsiderate thoughtlessness puts others in danger, they need to made aware, in no uncertain terms.

Yeah. Stopping at the top of the escalator creates a hazard. Those moving walkways in airports have recordings telling people to get to stepping once they reach the end of the thing.

As to Lizzie's point about people attempting to keep empty seats next to them at a sold-out performance ... They just gotta be told that every damn seat is sold, and that's that. I have been aboard many a flight when an attendant had to repeatedly get on the PA and tell folks that this flight is fully booked and the sooner we get all the rumps in the seats the sooner we get on our way. So move over.

ingineer

One Too Many
Reminds me of the ski lifts at Sugarloaf. Even with people assisting , signs, markings, etc you could expect the lift to be stopped as people departed and either didn't move or tripped getting off.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This would have been my concern, far beyond being peeved that the nurse didn't understand that "No" was a complete sentence. With me, the conversation would have gone like this:

Nure: "Can I take your blood pressure on your left arm?"
Me: "No."
Nurse: "But this is a left handed blood pressure cuff."
Me: "And there's a medical reason why you can't use my left arm. You are supposed to know this, and the fact that you don't is alarming on many levels. Therefore, you will take my blood pressure from my right arm, and I'll need to have a discussion with your supervisor."

What bothered me most was the whining. I expect that from my two year old (expect, not accept) but not from a grown woman. Tell me matter of factly, don't assume a high pitched, "but..." voice with me.

The only other issue I've ever had with this was when I was admitted to the hospital for my cancer surgery. The nurse came in, and she was talking to me and told me that I couldn't let them do anything to my left arm and gave me a special bracelet because I was going to have surgery on the left side. I imagine my surgeon went over this but we weren't really with it.

In walked two youngish women, one who is going to do a blood draw and one who is going to place an IV. They look at my arms and ask me if they can use the left, I say "no, I'm having surgery on the left and the nurse gave me this bracelet to indicate I can't have anything done with my left side." They look at my right arm and the two of them start fighting over who is going to go first, because I have "bad veins." I believe the IV placer said something like, "Well, if you draw her blood you better not blow out her vein" and the blood drawer said something like, "it's not my fault she can't have anything done on her left arm, you're gonna have to deal."

This went on for quite some time. Meanwhile, I'm kind of terrified because I've never had surgery before, I have cancer, and I've got two strangers arguing at the end of the bed.

Luckily the nurse walked in at that point, gave them the dirtiest look I have ever seen, and said, "The two of you are going to act like professionals. You are going to draw the blood out of her hand. Then you are going to place the IV." She stood there and glared at them until they were done, and then she said, "You ought to be ashamed of yourselves arguing in front of a patient like that." And then the nurse apologized to me and told them to get off her floor. She said they were going to be reported because it was unacceptable.

But, when they ask you when you go for a blood draw or to get a pressure taken, "Can I use either arm?" "Which arm would you like?" or "Is the right ok?" that is why they are asking you. I never understood why they constantly asked that, but it is a really good and professional way to cover your bases. The person at the blood draw place doesn't need to know your entire medical history for the 2 minutes they interact with you, they just need to know what arm to stab you in.

Among the surgeries I've had was a relatively minor one -- a "day procedure" -- January before last. Part of the prep was putting an IV in my hand. The tech was having a helluva hard time of it, poking me over and over again and growing frustrated, which the other personnel in the room found amusing. I found myself saying, "it appears that Sam and I are the only ones in the room who find no humor in this."

GHT

I'll Lock Up

:rofl:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
What is it with people standing in line that they can't compress together enough to keep the line from blocking traffic? We have a giant event going on in town this weekend, and you have to stand in line to do just about anything -- and every line you see, these people act like they have to have at least twice the width of the average person between themselves and the person ahead of and behind them. I understand the whole American obsession with "personal space," but it gets ridiculous when you have lines extending out the doors of businesses and into the street just because people are afraid they might catch their neighbors' cooties.

We have this problem in the theatre when there are busy shows, and I have no hesitation about yelling in my loudest broken-glass voice "FOLKS LETS TIGHTEN THE LINE UP A BIT, STAND CLOSER TOGETHER SO PEOPLE CAN GET TO THE BATHROOMS THANK YOU." They always look at me like I've asked them to pick something out of the toilet with their bare hands.

And of course, the habit of people insisting on there being empty seats on both sides of themselves or their group is another giant pain. At sellout events I always have to go down thru the auditorium and tell people to move over to let other couples sit together. You buy a ticket and it entitles you to your seat, but it doesn't entitle you to have empty seats next to you.

On the opposite side of the coin, men, and it is always men, who crowed right in at the grocery store check out, and stand there, peering over your shoulder as you are using the credit card machine. I am sorry, it is none of their business!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Back to mobility scooters, I got behind another one, cruising down the middle of the street, not a care in the world! It is a miracle more are not killed each year. They are not motorized vehicles, they are not road worthy. Our city has made big jumps in public transportation for the handicapped, I hate to see any one hurt, when there is an alternative!

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
PS: To young parents with kids...please...don’t ever put the fear of doctors or hospitals as a threat to punish.
Also don’t ever let (if possible) a rookie nurse/dentist administer novocaine shots. :eeek:
Awwww, hugs. I don't mind going to the dentist. I'm there so often I should have one of those little punch cards. Five fillings and the 6th is free!

And I have another thing: if you don't work with, for, or above me, don't argue with how I do my job. This especially goes for things I do because the Assets Protection team has told me to. Inventory is not a wing-it kind of thing, else the company wouldn't have spent tens of thousands on an electronic system to monitor it.

basbol13

A-List Customer
I don’t get the courtesy by some nurses by asking a question. They simply assume.

At the dentist, I tell them before scheduling an appointment that I prefer a “happy pill” instead of the “needles” (long story)
to knock me out.

They agree . But when I see the needle, I refuse to open my mouth & my friends with me get embarrassed by my behaving like a
child. They feel that the word of the doctor is law & I should never question them.

I tell my friends, it’s my mouth & I’ll do as I please. The nurse usually apologizes & complies.
Once I’m out...they can give me all the darn shots they want.

I can empathize with your feelings, but when was the last time you went to the dentist? They haven't use Novocain since the early 1960's.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I can empathize with your feelings, but when was the last time you went to the dentist? They haven't use Novocain since the early 1960's.

Last time I went to the dentist was about a month ago. And I opted for a tiny pill & everything went fine .

The last time I had Novocain was in 1966. The rookie 2nd lieutenant gave me 6 shots of Novocain & it was very bad experience.
The jerk kept poking me to determine if the area was numb. It was still painful. I told him to give it time for the Novocain to take
effect. But he wouldn’t listen. Too many GIs waiting.
Afterwards in the barracks the whole side of my face & shoulder area was numbed for hours.

The second time, another rookie did a bad clean-up job of my front teeth that later cause an infection which was so swollen I had to have my
front tooth removed. Sad because there was no cavity on my tooth , just a poor job of cleaning.
I opted for gas instead of the shots which I went to a private dentist instead of the military.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
? I've had several shots of it every time I've gone in. Well, they shot something in there...

“Sometimes your dentist needs to numb a part of your mouth. He or she injects medicine into your gum or
cheek. This medicine is called local anesthesia. Lidocaine is the most common local anesthetic that dentist use.

My dentists sometimes use whatever is available at the time.

15fhe0g.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay