Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

In 2000, the "boys from marketing"
at Macy's made an offer I thought was too good to pass up.

The promo " bring in a pair
of your old jeans and trade them in
for a new pair of Levis at a very
low discount price sounded great.

At the checkout register, I made a comment to the salesclerk that my
jeans were in 100 % better condition
than the jeans "I just had to have".

The jeans I was buying were faded,
worn out with holes and patches everywhere.

The saleslady helping me smiled and
agreed.

The BFM must've been "smiling" at me as
well.

Unlike some who frequent other forums here, I am not particularly well-versed in All Things Denim. But I know that the Levi's 501s made today are not the same product made 40 and 50 or more years ago, when those were the lower portion of my everyday uniform. These days I typically buy the low-end Wranglers at Target, because I can't see how the significantly higher-priced Levi's are really any better.

Snark is so much easier and self satisfying than building an intellectual argument of why treating all people by an objective standard isn't moral.

There are jeans that are made today which are just as good or superior
to the Levi’s 501s made 40 and 50 years ago which my folks bought for me.
The difference being that retail prices are much higher today.

You can buy a $ak’s Levis quality jeans or Walmart’s Levis more affordable jeans.
Some of the best quality denims are made in Japan but are very $$$$$.
The local Levi plant in my city moved to Mexico. The folks at Levi plant when I made an
interview before they left, gave me a bag of the copper rivets.
I have used these rivets and installed them on the rear pockets of my 501s.
The current 501s may not be the same quality, but at least they have the look as I
remembered. ;)

The high-end-jean thing has passed me by, but in many areas of clothing, the Japanese seem to be producing the highest end versions of traditional American attire. In addition to jeans, in shoes, for example, many Japanese artisans are making incredible version of classic American shoes.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The high-end-jean thing has passed me by, but in many areas of clothing, the Japanese seem to be producing the highest end versions of traditional American attire. In addition to jeans, in shoes, for example, many Japanese artisans are making incredible version of classic American shoes.

WW2 original US leather jackets are highly treasured in Japan.
Some of the best and authentic looking “reproduction” leather jackets come from that country.

WW2 original US leather jackets are highly treasured in Japan.
Some of the best and authentic looking “reproduction” leather jackets come from that
country.

This is a good read of how all this stuff started in Japan after WWII:

51x+FANV0PL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Snark is so much easier and self satisfying than building an intellectual argument of why treating all people by an objective standard isn't moral. ...

You are in no position to offer moral guidance, nor lessons in intellectual rigor, nor paths to identifying "objectivity."

And really, just who exhibits such self-satisfaction?

But forget all that. I'm just teasing. You're among the most moral, fair-minded, brightest people I've ever had the pleasure to encounter. How do I know this? Well, because you rarely miss the opportunity to tell me.

Last edited:
The great advantage in living alone is that you don't have to wash anything unless you feel like it, or until you run out of dishes.

I'm almost embarrassed to recall the condition of my domicile back when about all I did there was sleep and change my clothes.

The dewy-eyed bride won't have that. In recent years there's rarely more than one load of laundry that isn't already washed and put away.

I never was one for dishes in the sink, though. Don't know why, really, seeing how I was hardly a neat freak in any other regard. Maybe it has something to do with too often seeing dried-on macaroni and such in other people's kitchen sinks and feeling quite put off by it.

Thanks for that info pal.
You always inspire me to want to seek more when you highlight a photo
or movie and have not only questions but also answers to many things
I did not know.

One of the reasons I enjoy watching old TCM movies are the WW1 & WW2 jackets that are shown.
Imagine going downtown and being able to purchase them at most stores.

Today, these jackets are made by few custom shops and take more than a year unless you are
one of the lucky ones that they have in stock or you buy one from a Fedora member.

1. The book's a bit inside-baseball - you have to really be into the history of American clothes, but if you are, it's really well done and, to me, interesting as the Japanese, in many ways, saved a lot of those clothing styles in the '70s when America lost interest and, now, as we noted before, they are doing some of the most incredible versions.

2. Thank you for your kind comments.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm almost embarrassed to recall the condition of my domicile back when about all I did there was sleep and change my clothes.

The dewy-eyed bride won't have that. In recent years there's rarely more than one load of laundry that isn't already washed and put away.

I never was one for dishes in the sink, though. Don't know why, really, seeing how I was hardly a neat freak in any other regard. Maybe it has something to do with too often seeing dried-on macaroni and such in other people's kitchen sinks and feeling quite put off by it.

The first apartment I ever had, a dinky two-room thing I shared with a roommate, we only had two plates, two bowls, and one knife, fork and spoon each. Dishes tended not to be a problem. I've often thought of giving away all my crockery and going back to that system, but then I'd end up breaking the one plate, and I hate to hold macaroni and cheese in my hands while eating it. And if I broke the bowl too, with soup it'd be even worse.

I've temporarily put up friends who were, um, between residences. Most were pretty good about holding up their end of the "deal," such as it was. They at least made some contribution to the functioning of the household. But one character pretty well put me and the missus off extending such hospitality in the future. The final straw came when he joined in our dinner and afterwards washed only the dishes he actually used himself and left the others for me to wash.

That's been quite some years ago. More recently we've had a person over for a couple days who would have happily let that stay stretch on indefinitely had we allowed it. This unfortunate soul bounces from catastrophe to catastrophe and inevitably involves those around her in the drama. We feel for her, and wish she had other ways of making her way through life. She's bright and a generally good conversationalist and not at all mean, but she needs something we can't provide her.

Did your folks ever try to make you feel guilty about all the “starving kids in China” when they served spinach at the table?

I had to duck out the back door kitchen fast when I answered with;

"They’re more than welcome to my spinach anytime ma...” :p
I don't remember specifically what the food item was, but Mom tried that on me once. My response was something to the effect of, "Well, pack it up and ship it off to 'em then, 'cause I'm not eating it." Never got that guilt trip again. :cool:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn