Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

3fingers

One Too Many
Yes it will set off the metal detector. We recently flew and I had to stand in a glass scanner booth to prove that I had it. I have the certificate from the surgeon, but they weren't interested in seeing it.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
TSA never seems to care about documentation. I've been poked in the port (chemo port when I still had it) and made to take off my sleeve (which is like a thin sock over my arm). I carried/ carry documentation. I bet that could be faked, but I am not the only woman who flies with a sleeve.

Now when TSA asks if it hurts I say yes, because if I don't, it will hurt when they are done with me.

Looking back, I have wondered if that's what it would have felt like to be mummified - part of the process there being the removal of the brain through the nose with long hooks (and then it was just thrown away, as the Ancient Egyptians believed the mind, along with the soul, to be located in the heart).
Assuming the person being mummified was still alive (which most historians believe is something that only happened in movies) I would think the damage caused to the brain by those hooks would probably interrupt or completely negate it's ability to function normally. The "victim" might feel something initially, but once those tissues start getting scrambled who knows? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't volunteer to find out. ;)

I slept through my hip replacement...Something that I thought of later, would the screws set off the alarm systems at an airport walk through scanner? It's why I have retained a copy of the x-ray on my phone, so that I can explain why the alarms a ringing. The thought of a strip search spooks me.
The "experts" say that the materials used in modern implants (i.e., within the last eight to ten years) greatly reduce the chances of those implants being detected by the average metal detectors used in airports and such, but those same experts still allow for the possibility (as evidenced by 3fingers' post) and say it really depends on the equipment used in such facilities, most of which are not designed to scan deeper than skin level. I think, because of the prevalence of such implants, most airports now have x-ray equipment that can scan deeper (behind closed doors) and all but eliminate the need for strip searches.

Yes it will set off the metal detector. We recently flew and I had to stand in a glass scanner booth to prove that I had it. I have the certificate from the surgeon, but they weren't interested in seeing it.
TSA never seems to care about documentation. I've been poked in the port (chemo port when I still had it) and made to take off my sleeve (which is like a thin sock over my arm). I carried/ carry documentation. I bet that could be faked, but I am not the only woman who flies with a sleeve.

Now when TSA asks if it hurts I say yes, because if I don't, it will hurt when they are done with me.
Unfortunately, those documents can be falsified and/or counterfeited by those people in the world who are determined to make trouble. As such, the TSA agents feel more confident that you aren't one of those people if they can see the medical implants themselves by using whichever "scanners" are available to them. It's an inconvenience, but in my experience if you simply cooperate with them (as I'm sure you both did) the process usually goes smoother and faster.

3fingers

One Too Many
^^^ The scanner was very quick and simple. I was done before my wife and son collected our belongings from the conveyor belt, so there was no delay at all in the process. I hadn't flown commercial in over 30 years. The experience has declined sharply in that time.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Me when the 287th customer complains that there's NO PLACE TO PARK.

38814911_10215855990139939_2020865430838575104_n.jpg

Me when the 287th customer complains that there's NO PLACE TO PARK.

View attachment 130664
I've never thought to ask, but I'd bet the people who run the one surviving movie theater in my home town share your displeasure at hearing this comment. The Wardman theater (now Starlight Whittier Village Cinemas :rolleyes:) is a "neighborhood" theater that opened in June of 1932 (a little younger than the Strand) on what was once Whittier's main street. It now shares the street(s) with a number of small niche restaurants, coffee shops, a cigar lounge, clothing stores...you get the idea...so parking can be hard to come by during "peak" hours and I'm sure the theater staff hear all about it.

My favorite people, The Idiots. The Idiots who leave clothing and hangers where ever they please, but not in the correct spot. The. Idiots were making their rounds today. Today, at three different stores we entered, they trashed and left the employees a disaster. I am sure they felt that it was okay as the job of the store employee is to straighten up their mess. Idiots!
:D

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When the ex STILL hasn't picked up his old Mustang car parts more than a year after the divorce was final. I'm thinking I need to sell them and get some cash!
It can be something of a hot potato commenting on the relationship of others, so I hope I'm not infringing in any way.
I do remember you mentioning your daughter, so if your ex has parental visiting rights, next time he drops his daughter off, hand him a written notice that unless he clears his car parts and any other property that is still at your address, you will dispose of them as you see fit. Give him some time, about a month is reasonable. Hope that helps.

Not really ticking me off, but it's curious, to me:

Youtube watch-presentation/unboxing videos. Um, what's the pro on wearing a wirstwatch "on" your handankle, instead of behind?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My mother solved the problem of abandoned property with a well-placed sledgehammer, which sent a nice message to the ex. But those were different times, plus the police were scared of her already.

As far as the parking situation here goes, not only do we not have meters anymore, we only have one "walkie-chalkie" parking patrol cop, who only works five days a week. Plus, during special events, many of the downtown parking lots are loaned out to fundraiser types who sell spaces for $10 each. If I could work my will, I'd demolish the overrated art museum out behind the theatre and put up a four-story concrete parking garage.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Meanwhile, I'm really irritated and antagonized by the current trend of wholesale distributors transitioning to automated ordering modalities designed for large supermarket-type orders and also designed to discourage small infrequent mom-and-pop-type orders. If you wonder why your favorite products are disappearing from the shelves of your neighborhood market, c-store, bodega, or -- yes -- independent movie theatre, this is why. There's a deliberate effort underfoot to get rid of those small-time accounts and focus product distribution on mass chain-oriented retailers. Why mess with a bunch of little gherkins when you can make more money servicing the big dill?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
what's the pro on wearing a wirstwatch "on" your handankle, instead of behind?

First, if by "handankle" you mean "wrist", that is the best translation into English I have come across since "beef" was translated as "cow meat" on a Portuguese warship I served on!

I would then ask you to define what you mean by "on" and "behind". If by "on" you mean what I would describe as the top of the wrist (as in top of the hand), that is how most people wear watches.

If by "behind" you mean under the wrist, that is, the palm of the hand view, that is more unusual but hardly unheard of. I am not certain there are advantages or disadvantages to either, more habit than anything. I wear mine on top, as it were, and did a test just now, it is just as easy to turn my wrist either way to see the face of the watch.

I heard on the old American sitcom Murphy Brown a comment that "inside the wrist" was some (possible) indication of the wearer being gay (similar to the old tale of a man wearing one earring on one ear or the other "indicating" such status), but that is the only time I ever came across that!

My mother solved the problem of abandoned property with a well-placed sledgehammer, which sent a nice message to the ex. But those were different times, plus the police were scared of her already....

Based on this and other stories you've told, I'm scared of her and there are several states between us.

Meanwhile, I'm really irritated and antagonized by the current trend of wholesale distributors transitioning to automated ordering modalities designed for large supermarket-type orders and also designed to discourage small infrequent mom-and-pop-type orders. If you wonder why your favorite products are disappearing from the shelves of your neighborhood market, c-store, bodega, or -- yes -- independent movie theatre, this is why. There's a deliberate effort underfoot to get rid of those small-time accounts and focus product distribution on mass chain-oriented retailers. Why mess with a bunch of little gherkins when you can make more money servicing the big dill?

Yup, more profit in larger economies of scale. You see it at every point of the supply chain today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy