1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by GHT, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

You have my vote Empress LizzieMaine!!

*salute*

vitanola likes this.
  2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

LaGuardia knew what it was all about. Gotta love a guy who crusades against gum-spitting with the same zeal with which he goes after artichokes, pinball machines, and Murder Inc.

vitanola, Zombie_61 and 3fingers like this.
  3. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

The public spitting of "Chewing Tobacco" users is equally disgusting...

4. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Whenever we have any kind of live country-music show, and the time comes to rinse out the beer bottles, the amount of spit and spent dip that ends up in the slop sink beggars belief. Users of this substance should be fitted with a rubber bag that they are required to expectorate into and clean out themselves.

vitanola and Zombie_61 like this.
  5. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

And the same for the smokers who seem to think the entire world is a huge trash can for their butts.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  6. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

This is one of the things that annoys my wife and I, and we are smokers. We're very diligent about "policing" our cigarette butts by making sure they're extinguished and placing them in a proper receptacle, and if one isn't readily available they go into a pocket until we can dispose of them properly. It's even more annoying when we see the ground littered with butts around a public ashtray, which is usually attached in some way to a trash can. We've lost track of the number of people we've seen who seek out the designated smoking area, smoke an entire cigarette standing right next to one of these trash can/ash tray combos, then drop their butt on the ground, step on it, and go about their business. The trash can is right there; are they deliberately being so inconsiderate? o_O

Fading Fast and Woodtroll like this.
  7. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

Dirty fu**ing sonofa.... fkn J****2....AGAIN!!!
    I had the high bid with a max of 50.00 dollars....the auction was only up to 20 dollars.
    6 seconds to go...this jackhole somehow outbids me...AGAIN!

That's it...I'm so friggin done with auctions.
    I guarantee you that same hat will be reposted next week for the winning price.
    Goodwill can go to hell they're a fkn scam.
    jackhole.jpg

8. Woodtroll

I don’t think it’s deliberate, most of the time, I think that too many people simply don’t think about anyone but themselves these days. How many times have you been behind a driver that throws the garbage from his fast food meal from the car window? Who do they think is going to clean that up? Well, it’s not them, so they really don’t think about it or maybe even don’t care. But if I blow my horn and make appropriate hand gestures, I’m instigating road rage... Yes, I’m peeved, but they started it! ;)

Zombie_61 likes this.
  9. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Last summer I was sitting at a traffic light with my window rolled down and some jackhole on the sidewalk flipped a lit butt into my car. A rude hand gesture was the least of what he got back.

10. Woodtroll

Something certainly doesn’t add up, but given that you had a higher bid posted than the selling price when the auction closed, and you have a screenshot to back you up, I would contact the auction service about it. I’ve never participated in Goodwill auctions so I don’t know what their support is like, but somebody needs to call this to their attention.

Good luck!

11. Artifex

Artifex Familiar Face

Regarding inconsiderate behaviour, It does take discipline and a degree of concentration to maintain awareness of one's actions, and their likely collateral effect. Most people, I suspect, operate using set habits that may once have been derived from true consideration, but require no thought at the time of use. Most of us, I gather, learn a set of such habits in childhood, such as not dropping litter.
    Perhaps those with the misfortune not to have done would benefit from a polite reminder that they are as responsible for their casual deeds as for deliberate ones.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  12. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

We feel the same way about some other dog owners. We pick up our dog's poop in a plastic bag every single time and put it in the garbage (as the city and decency requires) period, full stop. We also, keep him on a leash at all required places and times (there's some "off leash" time that is allowed in certain city parks) and, in general, make sure he isn't bothering other people by jumping on them, etc. Hence, it drives us nuts when we see dog poop on the streets or dogs off their leash when they shouldn't be or dogs behaving in an unsocial way with their owners right there and ignoring it. It - like I'll bet you and your wife feel toward ill-behaved smokers - creates an unfair, negative narrative around all dog owners (or, in your case, smokers).

Since this is a gripe thread, my complaint with smokers is not with them excising their legal rights as they should do - it's when, whatever the law says, the blow their smoke right at you even when it could easily be avoided. Most don't, but some do.

13. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Vaping is fast approaching the "as bad as smoking" plateau. We had a band do a show last month, and after the performance they headed down to the green room and pulled out the vape pens -- despite the fact that our building is a 100 percent NO SMOKING facility under state law -- and sure enough, the vape fumes set off the fire alarm. Building had to be evacuated while there were still audience members milling around, the fire department came, I had to do a full walk thru with them to make sure there was no actual fire, and everybody was severely inconvenienced just because some hipster dink of a musician couldn't wait to get high.

Very first thing I did the next morning was change all the SMOKING PROHIBITED BY LAW signs backstage and in the bathrooms to SMOKING AND VAPING PROHIBITED BY LAW signs. I ask you.

Zombie_61 and vitanola like this.
  14. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

When we first moved into town our across the street neighbor who was very particular about the appearance of his yard had a problem with a woman allowing her 2 dobermans to poop in his yard. It was apparently just the right distance from her house to his for them to be ready to unload. He spoke to her about it with no improvement. He then made little Burma Shave signs informing her in no uncertain terms of what was going to happen if this continued.
    She must have taken the hint because it stopped that day. I miss that guy.

Woodtroll, Zombie_61 and vitanola like this.
  15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

This is definitely another "hot button" issue for us. We're as diligent about cleaning up after our dog as we are about cleaning up after ourselves, and most of the dog owners in our neighborhood feel the same way, but the "evidence" makes it clear that not everyone shares our conscientiousness. It's particularly annoying because I'm that guy who, upon learning we've forgotten to refill the waste bag holder, will not only immediately go back out once I retrieve a bag to make sure our dog's "offload" will be disposed of properly, but will pick up and dispose of any other offloads I find along the way. The way I see it, I'm already on "poop patrol" so I might as well do a thorough job; anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Woodtroll likes this.
  16. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Burma Shave must be some sort of advert, I had to Google it. Look what came up:
    poop.jpg

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Since when is a pint bottle of milk only 14 ounces? I know we've railed in the past here about the short pound of coffee and the other bastardizations of full measure rampant on the grocery shelves, but until recently the sale of milk, at least in my state, was strictly regulated by law for sale only in standard units -- half pint, pint, quart, half gallon, and gallon. Apparently while were all distracted by the latest dead body to wash up on the shore, somebody slipped thru a change in the law to allow short measure containers with no announcement that such a change had taken place.

Which plays merry Ned with my macaroni and cheese recipe, which calls for a full 16 ounces of milk, no more no less. I always just buy the pint bottle for cooking purposes, and now I see that I'm being had. That (gesture follows) to you, Mr. Oakhurst and Mr. Hood, for your complicity in yet another scam on the consumer.

Zombie_61 and Fading Fast like this.
  18. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I believe we are reaching the limit of what the package cookie manufactures can do to deceptively reduce the size of packages as the "regular" sized packages of, say, Oreos or Vienna Fingers (the ones we grew up with) have been cut down in size in every imaginable way possible (filler material increased, package shape changed, cookie shape changed, labeling enlarged, etc.), but at some point, you can't hide that there is way less inside.

Also, since these companies now sell smaller sized "convenience" or "grab and go" packages, etc., there's a limit to how much they can shrink their "regular" package before it contains the same amount as the "grab and go" ones. The only small joy I get at this game is knowing that after cheating us for years skimming extra profit from manipulating the package size, these companies must be frustrated that - at least for some products - there's no more room for prestidigitation.

Knowing how companies work - if they made $X this year doing Y, they will budget at least the same $X gain next year from doing more of Y - the end of this BS has to be killing them. As Bette Davis is reported to have said upon hearing of the death of Joan Crawford - "Good!"

Regarding the milk - and that BS - are they labeling it the correct amount as mislabeling the amount of content is something they could get in trouble for doing? So my guess is that the label is technically correct, but they certainly went out of their way to hope you didn't notice the two less ounces.

LizzieMaine likes this.
  19. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

Exactly so. Garland's homemade signs all rhymed properly but were not as polite.

20. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The milk bottle is marked "14 fl. oz." in small type at the bottom of the label, but it's sold in the same slot in the cooler where, up until recently, the pint bottle was displayed -- and there no longer is any pint bottle. Unless you make a point of looking at the bottom of the label you'd never know the difference because the new bottle is roughly the same physical size as the one it replaced -- the only real difference being a Coke-bottle-like inward curve at the waist of the bottle, which must be just enough to nick off that missing two ounces.

I can remember when, not only were the sizes of milk containers regulated by law, but the actual physical specifications of those containers were codified to ensure standardization between brands and fair measure across the board. Now, it seems, anything goes, as long as "anything" ensures that the consumer gets shafted.