Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Hercule

Practically Family
Annoyance du jour -

Why is it when you spend any amount of time alone with certain people, they feel the need to confide in you and reveal all kinds of things you'd rather not hear or know about. I simply HATE that.

Annoyance du jour -

Why is it when you spend any amount of time alone with certain people, they feel the need to confide in you and reveal all kinds of things you'd rather not hear or know about. I simply HATE that.

It annoyed me no end when proud crooks regaled me with tales of their criminal exploits. All it did was put me in a bad spot, potentially. Do these people not understand that should I have ever been called to testify under oath I'd have been left with the choice of perjuring myself or helping to make the state's case against them, neither of which had any appeal to me?

And then there's the crook and his cronies pondering who might have dropped the dime. It couldn't be a person who knew nothing about their illicit enterprises. I would have preferred remaining in that category.

Those guys are gone now, to a man. Turns out that the lifestyle takes its toll in more ways than one.

It annoys the hell outta me to find this sort of solicitation on my front storm door.

Remember when it was common to find fliers under your windshield wiper blades? You know, when you attended an event where you parked your car along with hundreds or thousands of others and you’d leave it there for a couple hours or more? At a ballgame, say, or a carnival?

You don’t see that much these days. I suspect it is outright banned by code in many jurisdictions. Now if they’d just get around to addressing essentially the same thing at peoples’ homes.

C4A76A93-FC31-471B-8199-27E6C944D82B.jpeg

We're seeing a lot of that around here. The community is growing so fast most houses aren't on the market for more than a week or so. Realtors are running over each other to make a sale.

I'd like to line them all up with the Tour de France wannabes that are flooding the streets now that the sun is back out.

We're seeing a lot of that around here. The community is growing so fast most houses aren't on the market for more than a week or so. Realtors are running over each other to make a sale.

I'd like to line them all up with the Tour de France wannabes that are flooding the streets now that the sun is back out.

The real estate agents with whom I am most familiar, in Seattle and in Denver, tell me that there are some tens of thousands of licensed agents in each of those regions, and that the "average" agent closes maybe four deals per year. Those I know close roughly 50 deals each annually. So yeah, those two make damn good money at it, but many don't. Many are investors who maintain their licenses so as to save money on their own deals. And many are just lousy real estate agents.

We have parasites like that here -- they're usually fronts for short-term rental operators looking to bust their way into neighborhoods close to town. It's a pity there's no bounty on their heads.

I’d be less than sincere if I claimed to be uninterested in real estate values. I’d much rather have more equity than less, although doing much with that equity would involve either borrowing against it or selling the property outright, neither of which appeals at all.

What galls is the presumption that we would wish to sell the place we call home just because this smiley-faced clown “may have a buyer.”

He, Joe Haircut, how ‘bout you sell those tasseled loafers of yours? Or that late-model Lexus? I may have a buyer.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Over the last several months, I've noticed that more and more retail websites are defaulting to "subscription" when you go to order something. For example, instead of letting you just buy one tube of toothpaste, the site will default to sending you a new tube every X months. If you just want to buy the toothpaste once, you have to pro-actively click "one-time" purchase.

Of course, it's not obvious, but it is obnoxious, period. If you are just looking to quickly buy a tube of toothpaste, dish soap, whatever, if you are not careful, you'll have signed up for a "subscription" that will send you that item every X months. It never stops - you have to be always watching for the little cheat.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Over the last several months, I've noticed that more and more retail websites are defaulting to "subscription" when you go to order something. For example, instead of letting you just buy one tube of toothpaste, the site will default to sending you a new tube every X months. If you just want to buy the toothpaste once, you have to pro-actively click "one-time" purchase.

Of course, it's not obvious, but it is obnoxious, period. If you are just looking to quickly buy a tube of toothpaste, dish soap, whatever, if you are not careful, you'll have signed up for a "subscription" that will send you that item every X months. It never stops - you have to be always watching for the little cheat.

Yes. I went to replace the shaving brush that I've been using since my college days, and somehow arranged to have a new badger hair brush mailed every month. It took six months to get the subscription stopped, so now I have about a quarter of a millennium's worth if shaving brushes on the shelf

The Jackal

One of the Regulars
office depot and Amazon do it too. It's pretty random the stuff they offer a subscription on sometimes.

My mother has, for years, begun pretty much every conversation with some timely observations about the functioning of her bladder. But now I find out that she had a small stroke a month ago and never told anybody. There's got to be a good "They'll Do It Every Time" in that one.

Thirty-some years ago my mom was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I was well grown at that point, out of the house for well over a decade. Still, my mom, the only mom I got, HAD CANCER!!! Threw a scare into me, for sure.

Mom scolded me for being too damned dramatic about the affair. She went the whole hysterectomy route — took it all, they did, the organs and the plumbing and everything. She spent a couple-three days laid up in the hospital, and then resumed going about her business.

She’s generally not one to make a fuss. But if she feels personally slighted, man-oh-man, watch out! I’ve gotten the complete 411 on her adversaries many times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ