Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

The hard shell taco was invented by Glen Bell, founder of Taco Bell and Doritos was invented at Disneyland in the theme park's then Casa de Fritos restaurant. Nachos first made their debut at the 1964 Texas State Fair.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Trivial...but it didn't tick me off, just caught me off guard. I was walking from the truck to the job this morning and an older gent, I'd guess well into his 70s, maybe even his 80s, was standing waiting to cross the street up ahead of me. The light changed and he continued to stand there. As I approached and passed him, I realized he was totally engrossed in his smartphone and unaware the light had even changed. I'm used to seeing this with younger folks, and even people my age, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone that much my senior even talking on one, much less standing there texting away, oblivious to the world around them. Good for him for rolling with the times.

Actually, I see that a lot these days. You should see when my motorcycle club stops for gas on a trip. Every one is pulling out their smart phones for any messages, or to see if there is anywhere to eat. Every one of us is at least old enough for the 55 senior discount, most for the full on senior discount!

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Here's one: when people ask about my coworker's service dog. I just tell them it's an employee's service dog and then they want to know who. How about It's none of your business? Maybe he doesn't want to broadcast his medical information to the world. Also, people think it's someone's pet. What business where food is sold allows pets?? Of course it's a service animal. I am sick of people asking me because the place where the dog is stationed while coworker works happens to be close to my workstation. I don't have time for people's teachable moments.

p51

One Too Many
Here's one: when people ask about my coworker's service dog. I just tell them it's an employee's service dog and then they want to know who. How about It's none of your business? Maybe he doesn't want to broadcast his medical information to the world.
Makes sense. I'd say, "who's service animal isn't the issue, but the fact that it's legal and well trained is."
Also, people think it's someone's pet. What business where food is sold allows pets?? Of course it's a service animal.
In all fairness, I have seen pets in restuarants before, owned by workers. It isn't common and probably not legal, but I have seen it more than once.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What I'm tired of is the idea that dogs have to go everywhere all the time. Dogs in offices, dogs in banks, dogs in department stores, you can't turn around without somebody with a big dog on a leash or a little yappy dog in a tote bag. Sure, he's trained, sure, he doesn't bite, sure he won't jump on you and rip your throat out, but do you *really* have to have him standing in line with you at the DMV????

I like dogs just fine, but I don't get modern "dog culture" at all.

I'm with you, Lizzie. I have five and they go to the yard, on walks, the dog park and the vet. I'm tired of going to outdoor, public events where everyone thinks it's cool to walk their dogs on extendable leashes when it's hard enough just to navigate the crowd. Lowes now allows dogs and it's a hoot to navigate an aisle with someone in an electric shopping cart with their Labrador on a leash.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What gets me is when the dog owner is standing there arguing and arguing with the bank teller about something stupid and pointless, and the dog is sitting there on the floor looking absolutely miserable. You look into his eyes and you see HELP ME RELEASE ME AT ONCE TAKE ME OUTSIDE BANK SUX LOOK A SQUIRREL OUTSIDE. And meanwhile owner yammers and yammers on and on about line 47 on her April statement and the dog gets more and more miserable.

Part of it, I think, is the sad insistence by people who live in small city apartments that a dog bred for farm or other outdoor life will be "perfectly happy living in town". It's selfishness on the part of the person and it's cruel to the dog to force him to live in an unnatural environment. No border collie worth her salt ever had any interest in hanging around a bank.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
2jakes, can't stand that. I will and have broken a window.

In Port A one summer, A crowd gathered outside the parking lot & did just that.

The dog was foaming at the mouth & could barely drink the water someone had given him.

What the crowd thought of the owner who kept his head down...I won’t repeat....except one.

“ The poor dog will still look to you as a friend you S.O.B.”...

So trivial, yet I gotta ask....

Crispy tacos:

eqrxfp.png

Certain foods are very difficult to use a knife,fork or spoon for that matter.

My question:

How many of you are able to hold this in your hands after the first bite ?

My compliments if you can ! :eusa_clap

Problem solved. Actually made this recipe last night with some slight variations along with pico de gallo made with tomatoes and jalapeños from the back yard. Pretty tasty.
Taco Pie Recipe by tami718 | Epicurious.com
www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/taco-pie-52981091
Dec 5, 2014 - Refrigerated pie crust 1 pound ground beef 3 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning ( below) or 1 pouch commercial seasoning. 1/2 cup chopped ...

What gets me is when the dog owner is standing there arguing and arguing with the bank teller about something stupid and pointless, and the dog is sitting there on the floor looking absolutely miserable. You look into his eyes and you see HELP ME RELEASE ME AT ONCE TAKE ME OUTSIDE BANK SUX LOOK A SQUIRREL OUTSIDE. And meanwhile owner yammers and yammers on and on about line 47 on her April statement and the dog gets more and more miserable.

Part of it, I think, is the sad insistence by people who live in small city apartments that a dog bred for farm or other outdoor life will be "perfectly happy living in town". It's selfishness on the part of the person and it's cruel to the dog to force him to live in an unnatural environment. No border collie worth her salt ever had any interest in hanging around a bank.

Friends from other lands took some time to adjust to the place dogs hold in modern American culture. Dogs in the house! Dogs on laps! Dogs licking faces!

Our attitudes toward dogs have changed more than a little in my lifetime. Used to be that people routinely let their dogs run loose. Not anymore. Used to be that you could pretty well count on stepping in dog poop from time to time. Not anymore. Used to be that kids would station themselves at supermarket entrances on Saturday mornings with boxes full of free puppies. Not anymore. Used to be that a dead dog alongside the road was a frequent sight. Not anymore.

I favor most of these changes, although I occasionally find myself thinking that a typical American dog leads a more comfortable existence than much of humanity. Better nutrition, better health care, more comfortable housing.

But to your point, all the good food and health care and comfortable digs hardly makes up for leaving a dog who lives to run cooped up in a ninth-floor apartment all day.

Interesting points, tonyb and I agree with you. In regards to the stepping in dog poop, there is a local apartment complex that, besides the usual deposits necessary to have a pet, you are required to submit your dog for DNA testing and if any poop is found on the premises, samples are sent in for testing and comparison. The offending poopers master is then fined and required to pay for the testing. Now, if my neighborhood would adopt such rules, I might not be cleaning up after others.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Friends from other lands took some time to adjust to the place dogs hold in modern American culture. Dogs in the house! Dogs on laps! Dogs licking faces!

Our attitudes toward dogs have changed more than a little in my lifetime. Used to be that people routinely let their dogs run loose. Not anymore. Used to be that you could pretty well count on stepping in dog poop from time to time. Not anymore. Used to be that kids would station themselves at supermarket entrances on Saturday mornings with boxes full of free puppies. Not anymore. Used to be that a dead dog alongside the road was a frequent sight. Not anymore.

I favor most of these changes, although I occasionally find myself thinking that a typical American dog leads a more comfortable existence than much of humanity. Better nutrition, better health care, more comfortable housing.

But to your point, all the good food and health care and comfortable digs hardly makes up for leaving a dog who lives to run cooped up in a ninth-floor apartment all day.

It's not an American phenomenon. Have you been to Paris? Dogs go everywhere, including the finest restaurants.

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars

I find that the vast majority of people who take their dogs with them refer to themselves as "pet parents." One of my husband's sisters-in-law actually takes her dog to get its nails manicured and painted with polish. Not only do she and the dog have some matching outfits, the dog has its own closet filled with dog clothes. I kid you not! She has also disowned both of her human daughters because they have decided to have their dad, her ex-husband, in their lives, so now she posts on Facebook that the dog is her daughter. The woman is a raving lunatic! Personally, as a real parent of a human being, it irks me when people treat their pets like people and call themselves "parents." Being the owner of a pet does not in anyway come close to being a real parent. For pity sake people - it's a dog, NOT a child! When I was a child animals lived outside with the exception of the gold fish and Chihuahua we had and when the dog died my mom swore we'd never have another dog living inside the house - and we didn't. And anyone, except a blind person, would have been deemed as crazy for taking their dogs everywhere with them. Honestly, I believe the world has now lost its collective mind.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart