Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Like sedan, a term usually seen only in auto press reports for the most part.

I know in the UK these terms are more widely used and understood, "motoring" being not just transport there, but a fun activity for many.

And "coupe" is pronounced the proper French way, "koo-pay" with the accent aigu over the e. Not the North American "koop".
I think I remember Jack Webb pronounce it in the French way in a Dragnet radio program. I bought all of the Dragnet radio shows for some bargain price on Audible a few years back and listened to every one. I even started the "Terms Which Have Disappeared" thread based on something I heard in one of those shows.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
And they've even turned that into an SUV:

7ZTPSt2.jpg

An electric SUV. o_O

You lost me at electric.

Wrong on so many levels...

Hercule

Practically Family
Once upon a time I vowed I would never depart from driving a sedan, thinking that SUVs were essentially trucks. Afterall, does the average person living in the city and burbs really need to be driving a truck around? Then I had a family and the sedan was less than comfortable and was often inconvenient. So we evolved to a microvan then finally to an SUV and, save for the MPG which is downright criminal, we haven't looked back. Though there are times, even ten years later, that I do miss my Accord.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The accent aigu costs ya $2000 extra.
When my VW went in for a service, the workshop manager kindly lent me his car, a new Audi. On my return I said to him that his car was just like mine, "Correct," he told me, "you see those four circles on the grille, they cost a grand a piece.

You lost me at electric.

Wrong on so many levels...
I feel your pain. The licence plate is purely promotional. The EV meaning eletric vehicle.
mgev.jpg

Hercule

Practically Family
Electric cars are so much more aesthetically palatable now that they don't look so stupid. Remember the first generation electric cars?

Quite often it's the way electric car drivers drive that is obnoxious. I understand they're trying to maximize battery economy an charging and all that, but I find there is nothing more aggravating than being behind (or otherwise around) a Prius.

ChrisB

A-List Customer
Why are some people still wearing bandanas as masks when proper masks, cloth or disposable, are readily available in the supermarket.

Note that I am in an area of the US that was hit hard early in the pandemic, wearing masks is the norm.We have learned the hard way.

For those who still refuse to wear a mask:
“A fool learns from his own mistakes, the wise man learns from the mistakes of others.”
- Otto von Bismarck

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In our country, and I'm sure that this common the world over, we have a proliferation of delivery vans, known colloquially as: "White-Van-Man." The van doesn't necessarily have to be white, it's just that most are. It's come about by the explosion of sales made by way of the internet. All the big manufacturers either have or will have imminently, the large capacity, all electric delivery van. The vehicle's range will be extended by capturing the kinetic energy of braking and as that is more or less stock in trade for the multiple delivery market it will, hopefully, reduce the emissions that are currently being pumped out by the diesel engine versions.

Just thinking aloud, without an internal combustion engine there can be very little that needs the sort of servicing that a fossil fuelled engine requires, or is that wishful thinking? I was wondering if the motor industry has "printer ink" trick up it's sleeve. How can the price of printer ink cartridges be justified?

^^^^
Over on this side of the pond first came the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. Now those front-wheel-drive, large flat floor commercial vans are everywhere. Ford makes ’em, as does Mopar, and Nissan. And yes, the default color is white. But that was true of previous generations of commercial vans.

It’s a superior configuration, in practical ways. Lower floor, greater interior volume.

^^^^
Over on this side of the pond first came the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. Now those front-wheel-drive, large flat floor commercial vans are everywhere. Ford makes ’em, as does Mopar, and Nissan. And yes, the default color is white. But that was true of previous generations of commercial vans.

It’s a superior configuration, in practical ways. Lower floor, greater interior volume.
And for a measly $150K+ make a great small RV

If only! Sorry it's roomba.

I would welcome a review from one who goes into it remaining unsold on the product.

A rug merchant of my acquaintance advises against the things, leastwise for households with tribal rugs on the floors. They’re hell on the fringes, he says. And vice-versa, I would assume.

I fear the dogs might attack it. Little fear of it freaking out the cat, though. She croaked back in March.

Hercule

Practically Family
I just think that it'll be an expensive (VERY expensive) gimmick toy that really won't work the way it's needed to. Our main floor (Living & dining rooms) are hard wood with small area rugs (as is the bedroom level), and the kitchen is tiled, so I'm told it shouldn't be problematic. The cat, (Lola, bless the old girl) will either be annoyed by it or ignore it entirely.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Why are some people still wearing bandanas as masks when proper masks, cloth or disposable, are readily available in the supermarket.

Note that I am in an area of the US that was hit hard early in the pandemic, wearing masks is the norm.We have learned the hard way.

For those who still refuse to wear a mask:
“A fool learns from his own mistakes, the wise man learns from the mistakes of others.”
- Otto von Bismarck
My main issue is all the people with their noses hanging out. Why bother?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points