Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I had to look her up on Google because I was unfamiliar with the name. Once I found out what she is famous for it made perfect sense that I didn't know of her because she's a chef and I loathe cooking. :D

I don't think Nigella is famous for her cooking as much as her culinary lovemaking. Viewers & male viewers in particular, are far too mesmerized to learn anything about cooking. :D
YouTube is your friend if you'd like a taste of the Nigella experience.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I don't think Nigella is famous for her cooking as much as her culinary lovemaking.
You are not wrong...................................
nigella.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I still can't understand why the Personnel Department became Human Resources. As for Chief Talent Officer, sounds to me like PC gone mad.

CTO sounds like a way of dressing it up, simply. "Human REsources" is obvious. This is consumer capitalism: we're not persons to be managed, we are mere, human resources to be exploited like any other resource.

I don't think Nigella is famous for her cooking as much as her culinary lovemaking. Viewers & male viewers in particular, are far too mesmerized to learn anything about cooking. :D
YouTube is your friend if you'd like a taste of the Nigella experience.

She was very popular for that reason at one time, until she started playing up to it and became rather a sad self-parody.

Hercule

Practically Family
Jeez, what kind of "talent" are youse guys hiring? o_O

I still can't understand why the Personnel Department became Human Resources. As for Chief Talent Officer, sounds to me like PC gone mad.

I work at an expensive private University in the Midwest (disclosure I am an alum) that is trying to stay relevant and competitive in an area that has no less than 7 colleges and universities plus two community college systems within about a 40 minute drive of each other . It definitely is feel-good, warm and fuzzy land around here.

[Sorry if this was awkward. It was my first time using the multiquote feature.]

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Unless you're retired.:)
There's a story in our press today of a lottery winner, who won £2.7M in 1995, and didn't retire.
https://googlenewspost.com/2020/08/...25-years-ago-is-still-stacking-shelves-at-ms/
For the past 25 years Elaine Thompson has worked in a local supermarket stacking shelves. She starts at two am and works through until nine am.
She has done this to set an example to her two sons. Others might argue that she is depriving someone else of a job. I find her attitude refreshing. She has used some of her winnings to help finance her sons through university and to help them onto the property ladder, but they are expected to work and support themselves through life.
It makes such a change to read a story like this when on most days you read of yet another malingerer sponging off hard working tax payers.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I work at an expensive private University in the Midwest (disclosure I am an alum) that is trying to stay relevant and competitive in an area that has no less than 7 colleges and universities plus two community college systems within about a 40 minute drive of each other . It definitely is feel-good, warm and fuzzy land around here.

[Sorry if this was awkward. It was my first time using the multiquote feature.]

Rereading this part of the thread, it occurs that the worst part of the situation is that we live in a world where an educational institution has to be more concerned about "staying competitive" than what would presume to be its actual mission -- a presumed institution of the mind reduced to the level of selling itself like a box of soap. God Bless America.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Containers marked with the recyclable triangle symbol and number to identify the type of material, that is nevertheless non-recyclable because no facilities make use of it, being too expensive to process and/or be bought back by makers of the self-same containers because it's cheaper to buy newly produced material, but you put it out in the recycling box anyway because at the end of the day it's out of your house and they pick up recycling for free whereas garbage is a paid for service by one means or another (yearly fee in our case with a mandated sized container).

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Rereading this part of the thread, it occurs that the worst part of the situation is that we live in a world where an educational institution has to be more concerned about "staying competitive" than what would presume to be its actual mission -- a presumed institution of the mind reduced to the level of selling itself like a box of soap. God Bless America.

But hasn't this really existed since before than you and I were born? Top high school scholars and athletes were always courted by universities, each trying to outdo the other with subtle- and not so subtle- sales pitches. It's gotten amped up over the decades, and now we have universities built up to handle the capacities they needed to handle the baby boomer and Gen X enrollments, all trying to chase tuition dollars. So the kid with slightly above average SAT scores is now being courted as well.. although I am sure the scholarship opportunities are proportionately smaller.

Containers marked with the recyclable triangle symbol and number to identify the type of material, that is nevertheless non-recyclable because no facilities make use of it, being too expensive to process and/or be bought back by makers of the self-same containers because it's cheaper to buy newly produced material, but you put it out in the recycling box anyway because at the end of the day it's out of your house and they pick up recycling for free whereas garbage is a paid for service by one means or another (yearly fee in our case with a mandated sized container).

Where I live trash service is not mandatory, although almost everyone uses one of the three haulers operating here. It’s terribly inefficient, and hell on the roads, to have all those heavy garbage and recycling trucks going up and down the street two days of the week.

But get this ...

I pay four bucks a month EXTRA to recycle, rather than toss everything into one bin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21