Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars
The streaming video world has certainly shown that if you have the right content online, people will be prepared to pay for it. Newspaper website seem to be having more mixed results. If, on the other hand, as some in cyberworld have suggested, we could have more control over selling (or not) the personal information regularly harvested by advertisers now, we would all have plenty of extra bucks lying around to cover buying what was worth paying for. The internet has a long way to go in the normalisation of paying for content, though.

I'm using the internet less and less all the time. Even the stuff you do pay for with cash, you pay for with data too. The notion that it lets everyone have free access to data, is being replaced by giving every company free access to ours. No thanks!

I don't use stalker media, refuse to carry a smart phone, and aside from email and the occasional bit of shopping, I just use one news site and two forums. They're of some use to me, but the rest of it I just see as a scam to harvest my data. Amazon, Google, Microsoft/Bing, are all boycotted here too.

I need a burner phone....
3PaYHe5.jpg

You gonna' use it for a hot line? :D

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is not trivial, but it does tick me off: the voluminous amount of lies spouted by the lamestream media here, and the way in which millennials fall for everything they say as though it were true. Whatever became of simple commonsense? Didn't their parents guide them through the early part of their lives to any extent, or impart any basic wisdom for living to them at all? And if you try to help or correct them, and they see the truth, they then say, "Oh, that's your truth, but I have my own truth." No, kids, truth is truth. You might believe you can stand in front of the 4:45 bus and not get killed, but you will soon find out that "your" truth is just wishful thinking. The hard way.

What are the North-American Christians doing on Pentecost, because I found out, that it's not an official holiday in the US??
I'm surprised so many Americans still "celebrate" Easter. I'm guessing it's only because the candy, egg, and basket industries have found a way to cash in on it just like...well, everyone...has figured out how to turn Christmas into the biggest money-making holiday in human history.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Not in MAY!!!!!

Any time of year is fine for me. I am still nostalgic for 1991, when I spent June-October working in Montevideo and missed the WHOLE summer. I left the U.K. at the end of spring and was back in time for the autumn leaves and crisp mornings. I look forward to being able to do that every year.

"Oh, that's your truth, but I have my own truth." No, kids, truth is truth. You might believe you can stand in front of the 4:45 bus and not get killed, but you will soon find out that "your" truth is just wishful thinking. The hard way.

People have their own individual experiences, which color their perceptions of themselves and their place in the world. But this “speaking my own truth” thing, which may have once had its place in the minds of reasonable people, quickly deteriorated into a mindless dismissal of anything a person didn’t wish to acknowledge. It has become a license to and a cover for an abject self-centeredness. And indulging it only serves to keep adolescents from ever growing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda