Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Me grandmother was of the Morrison clan, complete with kilt and coat of arms; and I can hear her voice
speak, the Morrison kilt was similar to the Black Watch but different. I am ashamed to admit I have yet
to look into this clan heritage.

Edward

Bartender
Thing is, though, reproductions and knockoffs (the MCM furniture market is mostly knockoffs, it seems) are fine by me, so long as the stuff isn’t misrepresented.

I'm at the point now where I'd rather a solid, modern reproduction that I know will take daily use than an original - clothes and furniture, and much else. But then for me it was always more about loving the style of a particular era rather than the authenticity of the objects from it.

The absurdity of the fine art market was brought into sharp focus on an episode of Antiques Roadshow featuring an artwork the appraiser said was worth a pile of money if it were by the big-name dead artist it perhaps was. And if not, it might bring 50 bucks. So it’s obviously not the art itself that matters.

The Royal Academy here in London has an annual exhibition sale where they put up a whole gallery full of small artworks. Some of them are by known names - some of them really big, I believe Hirst entered something one year - others unknowns (but might be big in future), and all points in between. The rule is that the pictures are only signed by the artist on the back. All are sold at a flat rate and nobody knows whose work they are buying until after the sale. The idea being that people buy art because they like it, not as an 'investment'. Some people occasionally get a real windfall, but that's seen as a bonus of buying something they liked rather than buying an awful piece because the name makes it worth big money.

A few years ago, Herself and I visited the Louvre. The Mona Lisa is truly nothing special once you see it past the crowds who come in solely to gawp at it and then leave immediately. There are hundreds of other, far more impressive works in that museum that we had all the time in the world to consider, with barely anyone else in the room.

Hercule

Practically Family
I'm at the point now where I'd rather a solid, modern reproduction that I know will take daily use than an original - clothes and furniture, and much else. But then for me it was always more about loving the style of a particular era rather than the authenticity of the objects from it.

Hear, hear. If you can find them that is. Sadly for many things, modern versions pale in the kind of quality and sturdiness that originals inherently had. Though certainly in some cases authenticity is pretty awesome.

A few years ago, Herself and I visited the Louvre. The Mona Lisa is truly nothing special once you see it past the crowds who come in solely to gawp at it and then leave immediately. There are hundreds of other, far more impressive works in that museum that we had all the time in the world to consider, with barely anyone else in the room.

That's a tough place to visit. The last time we went, we seemed to burn out quickly. Every where you turn there's yet another incredible thing to take in. As for la Gioconda (Mona Lisa), you're right it's kind of disappointing. We were actually more taken by the Wedding at Cana on the opposite wall.

Edward

Bartender
Hear, hear. If you can find them that is. Sadly for many things, modern versions pale in the kind of quality and sturdiness that originals inherently had. Though certainly in some cases authenticity is pretty awesome.

I've noticed just in the last five or six years a lot more men's repro beyond only rockabilly stuff starting to come on the market. Doubtless the dwindling of original stuff that is both wearable and affordable is a big part of it. Interestingly, I'm even seeing many more ties and such appear, the sort of accessories once thought far too common to reproduce but again with the price of originals shooting ever upwards....

That's a tough place to visit. The last time we went, we seemed to burn out quickly. Every where you turn there's yet another incredible thing to take in. As for la Gioconda (Mona Lisa), you're right it's kind of disappointing. We were actually more taken by the Wedding at Cana on the opposite wall.

The toughest bit for my Ballymena blood was the cost of the coffee shop - two bottles of coke and a packet of crisps ten Euros!!

The one I remember being taken by was Bathsheba bathing in view of David, which I think was a gallery or two away.

Most knockoffs are of lesser quality, but not all.

And then there are licensed versions that are perhaps themselves inferior to the unlicensed copies. At a McDonald’s (yes, McDonald’s) I patronized some time back the seating was Eames shell chairs, but made of plastic rather than fiberglass. I turned one over to see that it was indeed a licensed product.

There’s usually a good reason why the famous stuff got that way. It appeals to a lot of people because it’s fundamentally appealing. There are great melodies, great paintings, great cars, great furniture pieces.

I have twice or maybe three times ventured into a Design Within Reach store. The “within reach” part doesn’t mean within budgetary reach of most folks bringing in less than the mid six figures, but accessible to those of means without searching hither and yon. DWR sells “iconic” pieces designed by the likes of George Nelson and Charles Eames and those other famous cats and kittens who made their names before those of us now of retirement age were born. It’s nice stuff, and deservedly popular, all these decades on. But it’s certainly not the ONLY nice stuff. There’s equally handsome furniture of equal or superior durability that can be had for a small fraction of those “name” pieces. But you gotta have the eye. DWR does the seeing for its deep-pocketed clientele.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The toughest bit for my Ballymena blood was the cost of the coffee shop - two bottles of coke and a packet of crisps ten Euros!!

The one I remember being taken by was Bathsheba bathing in view of David, which I think was a gallery or two away.

Is that the Rembrandt portrait? David was not depicted said, doubtful R, probably another artist.

L'Hotel in Saint-Germain books Oscar Wilde's death room, tempted. Closed now, will reopen later this year.

Edward

Bartender
Is that the Rembrandt portrait? David was not depicted said, doubtful R, probably another artist.

L'Hotel in Saint-Germain books Oscar Wilde's death room, tempted. Closed now, will reopen later this year.

Not sure now, tbh. I probably photographed it. It was in a relatively empty gallery, far from the raging crowd of philistines around the ML!

Imagine being disturbed in the middle of the night by dear Oscar's ghost... Not sure I'd sleep well there. Still, as the man himself said, "Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast."

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Not sure now, tbh. I probably photographed it. It was in a relatively empty gallery, far from the raging crowd of philistines around the ML!

Imagine being disturbed in the middle of the night by dear Oscar's ghost... Not sure I'd sleep well there. Still, as the man himself said, "Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast."

A Wildean thought, wonder if Reading Gaol books his cell?;)

Edward

Bartender
A Wildean thought, wonder if Reading Gaol books his cell?;)

The prison closed in 2014; there have long been attempts to set up a project to turn it into a cultural arts centre (the building is Grade II Listed, so can't just be knocked down for redevelopment), but the latest bid in 2021 was turned down by the Home Office, who decided £2.6 million wasn't enough. And so it sits, empty and unused.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Independence Day is quickly becoming my least favorite holiday. Firing off cherry bombs and M-80's as a kid was great for laughs: listening to it in my 60's is just annoying.
We have our very own version of July 4th. It's November 5th, most know it simply as Bonfire Night. A group of conspirators, in 1605, planned to blow up The Houses of Parliament and restore The Catholic Church. They were to do the deed on November 5th 1605, but were rumbled.
Now every kid goes out weeks before and tries to blow up the neighbourhood, or you would think so by the constant fireworks.
https://www.history.com/topics/british-history/gunpowder-plot
Today is US Independence Day, down with the British, happy July 4th, Americans. And ChiTown, how your grumpy whinge resonates.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
We have our very own version of July 4th. It's November 5th, most know it simply as Bonfire Night. A group of conspirators, in 1605, planned to blow up The Houses of Parliament and restore The Catholic Church.
Today is US Independence Day, down with the British, happy July 4th, Americans. And ChiTown, how your grumpy whinge resonates.

Guy Fawkes still causes trouble I see.

Neighborhood relatively quiet this weekend, hopefully the peace will keep
today and tonite.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
We have our very own version of July 4th. It's November 5th, most know it simply as Bonfire Night. A group of conspirators, in 1605, planned to blow up The Houses of Parliament and restore The Catholic Church. They were to do the deed on November 5th 1605, but were rumbled.
Now every kid goes out weeks before and tries to blow up the neighbourhood, or you would think so by the constant fireworks.
https://www.history.com/topics/british-history/gunpowder-plot

It's fun to see the effigies displayed at current Guy Fawkes Day events. Traditionally it was the pope, but a lot of contemporary politicians and other figures are "feted."

...Today is US Independence Day, down with the British, happy July 4th, Americans...
7zZ33bC.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Britain doesn't have an Independence Day, because everyone else got their Independence days from Britain.

Best joke going at the time of Brexit.
Only the British could colonise half the world and the leave the EU because they don't want immigrants.

Not to stray into forbidden topic, lest imperil post and all but the leaving consequence for British thoroughbred
racing on the continent and foreign horses European stabled eligible to run in the UK, pose questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails