Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Looks like I'm working till 10 PM Christmas Eve this year. Unless, of course, something goes wrong with the projector. Perish forbid.

In decades past, when I was as often between “relationships” as in one, I volunteered to work holidays. The coworkers with kids had much more invested in the celebrations than I ever did.

Looks like I'm working till 10 PM Christmas Eve this year. Unless, of course, something goes wrong with the projector. Perish forbid.
I thought you were a Star Trek fan. Have we learned nothing from Lieutenant Valeris: "400 years ago on the planet Earth, workers who felt their livelihood threatened by automation flung their wooden shoes called sabots into the machines to stop them. Hence the word 'sabotage'."

:D

Fifty150

One Too Many

You get to watch a great movie. A movie so good, that other people are willing to leave their house on Christmas Eve, in order to enjoy it.

And you get to eat popcorn.

What is screening on Christmas Eve?

Fifty150

One Too Many
Google Lens is useless. Highlight The King of Pop. No results found.

Screenshot_20211211-184816_Chrome.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Like pretty much all situation comedies, Married, With Children excepted, the family is highly idealized. If there are issues, some plot point, they are usually minor. Conflict is resolved to the satisfaction of all.

So, to answer your question, how close to reality - not close at all!

Indeed, Married, With Children, is often viewed as a closer, if also exaggerated, version of reality!

How near to reality was Home Improvement's Family Taylor?
Were they kind of prototipical Boomer-generation?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You get to watch a great movie. A movie so good, that other people are willing to leave their house on Christmas Eve, in order to enjoy it.

And you get to eat popcorn.

What is screening on Christmas Eve?

We're showing "Don't Look Up," which I suppose is the most inappropriate Christmas Eve movie ever.

I used to not mind working Christmas Eve or Christmas night, but having had only one actual day off in over two and a half months, I was kind of hoping for the extra rest this year.

I was treated to an advertisement, on this very site, for a gizmo designed to cover the catalytic converter on your automobile and thereby thwart its theft.

Two people of my acquaintance have been so victimized — the fellow just two doors down (I keep our car in the garage), and a nephew living in Tacoma.

I don’t know what kind of money the thieves are getting for those stolen catalytic converters, or who is buying them. But I read that there’s been a rash of such thefts all over the country, fueled by the steep rise in prices for the precious metals in the things.

I would have made a lousy thief. I just can’t imagine getting enough for a catalytic converter to make it worth the effort and risk. (John Law wouldn’t dissuade me nearly so much as a burly and/or armed car owner catching me in the act.) And besides, it’s such a low thing to do. The above-mentioned nephew can’t really afford the loss, and the neighbor ain’t exactly living the high life either. But thieves apparently don’t care what hardships they impose.

Last edited:
I need your experience!

Today, I saw these decorative "Mosaic" clue-on foils for your kitchen furniture, for the very first time. And I found them really nice looking!

How good is this clue-on stuff? Reliable or short-living clue??

I thought you were a Star Trek fan. Have we learned nothing from Lieutenant Valeris: "400 years ago on the planet Earth, workers who felt their livelihood threatened by automation flung their wooden shoes called sabots into the machines to stop them. Hence the word 'sabotage'."

:D
perpetrated by 'saboteurs' Nowadays we would have to fling our plastic Nike running shoes at the hard drives....."Niketeurs"? or probably more effective to dump our Starbucks latte into the main frame......"starbuccaneers"?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Why does everybody who makes You Tube videos adopt the same eye-bugging, nostril-flaring, hand-waving persona, exclaiming "Guys!" to start every other phrase? Is there some trendy How To Make Engaging You Tube Videos That Get The Clicks tutorial that urges them to do this in hopes of promoting viewer engagement and driving the algorithm? Or is it just that all You Tube videos are made by eye-bugging, nostril-flaring, hand-waving idiots? "GUYS!"

Why does everybody who makes You Tube videos adopt the same eye-bugging, nostril-flaring, hand-waving persona, exclaiming "Guys!" to start every other phrase? Is there some trendy How To Make Engaging You Tube Videos That Get The Clicks tutorial that urges them to do this in hopes of promoting viewer engagement and driving the algorithm? Or is it just that all You Tube videos are made by eye-bugging, nostril-flaring, hand-waving idiots? "GUYS!"
I don't know with any reasonable certainty, but my money is on "eye-bugging, nostril-flaring, hand-waving idiots".

I prophesy, that Youtube is dead. It's far beyond it's zenith. All next-generation Youtubers doing the same now, old pioneer youtubers are submerged. There's not more any innovative stuff.
I bet, it will change to pay TV, next years.

Another thing:
Yesterday, in the next bigger city, an Edeka supermarket, I have never been in before, had new shopping carts with smartphone holders! I only thought "WTF"?? But these carts curiously had no deposit slots, too.
Do they think, people use their smarthones as grocery list mounted on the shopping cart?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner