Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
When I was last in radio I lived in an unbearable tourist trap of a town -- if you weren't a cone-eater, there was no point in being there during the day. But when I finished writing my morning copy, usually about 4:30 AM, I'd take a long walk around and I was, on most days, the only person out and about. Not even the joggers and dog-walkers were up, so I had the whole town to myself for half an hour, and that was pretty much the only thing that made living in that town bearable for as long as I did.

The worst thing about that job was the day I had to climb up on the roof -- of a six story building -- and lash the satellite dishes down with rope. During Hurricane Bob. Despite those precautions, the Associated Press dish -- the one that was absolutely essential to operations -- was blown off the roof and ended up in the middle of the street.

Good times! :eusa_doh:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Today I was passed by three cars while I was pulled over waiting for the ambulance to pass! How did these people get a drivers license?

Today I was passed by three cars while I was pulled over waiting for the ambulance to pass! How did these people get a drivers license?

issue4_2_1.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When my wife and I are in the car together, we peruse over such driving manners. One time, whilst going through a reduced to 50mph, from 70mph, we were practically the only ones observing the temporary speed limit. Saying it to no one in particular, I commented: "I wonder where these drivers get there exemption certificates from?" Without drawing breath, my wife answers: "Easy, they cost a hundred quid, being the fine if you are caught, and three points on your licence." (In the UK, 12 points on your licence, within a three year period, gets you a six month driving ban.)

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Only £100? . . .

When my wife and I are in the car together, we peruse over such driving manners. One time, whilst going through a reduced to 50mph, from 70mph, we were practically the only ones observing the temporary speed limit. Saying it to no one in particular, I commented: "I wonder where these drivers get there exemption certificates from?" Without drawing breath, my wife answers: "Easy, they cost a hundred quid, being the fine if you are caught, and three points on your licence." (In the UK, 12 points on your licence, within a three year period, gets you a six month driving ban.)

Speeding fines are only £100? According to Google, that’s only about $150. Around here, fines are around $200.

And don’t you feel safe driving on the road? After all, everyone with a driver’s license had to take a very comprehensive test administered by our fine, knowledgeable government employees and pay a tax for the privilege of operating a motor vehicle on public roads. [/sarcasm]:p

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
A pleasant surprise today, an ambulance with lights and sirens on, and every one pulled over, at least a dozen cars. So there are plenty of good people out there!

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
This drives me crazy too. People will stand there for 10 minutes while $200 worth of stuff is rung up, and then looked completely shocked when they're asked to pay for it.

I hate it when people wait until the final total comes up and then only then will they start digging through their purse to find and pull out payment, wasting more of my time. Did they honestly think they were going to get their items for free?

Last edited:
I hate it when people wait until final total comes up and then only then will they start digging through their purse to find and pull out payment, wasting more of my time. Did think honestly think they were going to get their items for free?

A variation on your theme is the people who, only after the total has wrung up, go hunting in their pockets or pockets book for change and then start trying to find the right combination of nickels, dimes, etc. to hit the cents figure. If you want to use up your change, have it out, in your palm - even sorted - so that you can quickly give the cashier the correct amount. It is rude to hold up an entire line of people while you hunt in your pockets, sort out your change and then start handing it over (and this happens a lot) one coin at a time.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
These are the people who show up in our ticket line in the middle of winter, and make a great show of taking off their gloves, digging in their coats for their wallets, and counting out the change. And then they come inside and complain about how mean we are for making them stand outside in the cold.

These are the people who show up in our ticket line in the middle of winter, and make a great show of taking off their gloves, digging in their coats for their wallets, and counting out the change. And then they come inside and complain about how mean we are for making them stand outside in the cold.

While I like "Star Trek," I am not a Trekkie - don't know each show from every series or the Vulcan language and I own no paraphernalia - but one thing I love to use from the series is the term Kobayashi Maru - which effectively describes a no-win situation.

You got a nice Kobayashi Maru on your hands there.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
While I like "Star Trek," I am not a Trekkie - don't know each show from every series or the Vulcan language and I own no paraphernalia - but one thing I love to use from the series is the term Kobayashi Maru - which effectively describes a no-win situation.

You got a nice Kobayashi Maru on your hands there.

Even I know Kirk won! He cheated, but, all's fair!

Even I know Kirk won! He cheated, but, all's fair!

It's an incredibly interesting philosophical question - did he cheat, yes; was it wrong in the circumstance - ah, that is the question. Kirk constantly saved lives by "cheating;" he got out of one after another Kobayashi Maru by going outside the rules - all for the greater good.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I have run across another one of my pet peeves here on the lounge. It is the improper, incorrect, inexcusable and poorly used word, "like." The improper use of this word absolutely annoys me and I find myself biting my lip or tongue very often. "Like... you know..." "Nobody has used that word since like the 80's." "Like have you seen...."

If one is unsure of the definition or proper use of the word, "like", please visit the following link. The link will help shed some light on the word and when it is appropriate. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/like

Thank you for allowing me to express my displeasure with the majority of people I encounter.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If one is unsure of the definition or proper use of the word, "like", please visit the following link. The link will help shed some light on the word and when it is appropriate. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/like
And whilst there, please look up, read and digest the true meaning, and usage, of the word unique.
There is a set of adjectives—including unique, complete, equal, infinite, and perfect—whose core meaning embraces a mathematically absolute concept and which therefore, according to a traditional argument, cannot be modified by adverbs such as really, quite, rather or very.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk