Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Except for the people who wear yoga pants, who are not physically fit. It's not just the office. Yoga pants are now a fashion item. People wear yoga pants everywhere. And a lot of those people, are not athletic, in any way. I think that for some of those people, they enjoy the attention from showing off every curve, crack, and crevice. Especially the girls who wear yoga pants with heels.

View attachment 433297 View attachment 433298
Chip Wilson the founder & ex CEO of LuluLemon clothing got into deep doodoo when he defended claims of inferior product when one of his miracle fabrics used in yoga pants began to pill on the inside of the thighs. His explanation was they were not meant to be worn by overweight women and the excess friction from the inner thighs rubbing against each other caused the pils. He is now EX CEO.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Instead of tattoos, i have scars. Lots of them.
My face has all kinds of scars. Mostly from run-ins with basal cell carcinoma. Add a salt and pepper beard to my scar face and put it on a 6’3” frame and some people find me intimidating. This is something that often goes over my head, because I still mentally see myself as the harmless geeky puppy dog that was me in my teens and twenties. But, yep, plenty of scars.

@LizzieMaine
Now I’m on about people (almost everyone I know, it seems) who have step counters on their wrists and obsessively check them and report their step count.

Am i becoming a grumpy old man?
I’m guessing that’ll stop about the time the novelty of it wears off.

It’s been suggested that I get an
Apple Watch, as another measure toward continuing my earthly existence. Its heart monitoring features are impressive indeed. I’ve noted that many front-line healthcare providers (lovely people, to a person, but I’d still prefer seeing less of them) are wearing the things. I just wish I more liked the way they look. In that regard, I prefer my 1950s(?)-vintage Mido. But I’m not one to die for fashion.

Tiki Tom

@belfastboy.
I can well understand why he is ex-ceo.
Rules I have learned by watching other people‘s car wrecks: Never ask a woman if she is pregnant, and never make a comment (no matter how innocent) about weight in mixed company. Not even in the most vague and general terms. Some people are triggered by the W word.

@belfastboy.
Rules I have learned by watching other people‘s car wrecks: Never ask a woman if she is pregnant, and never make a comment (no matter how innocent) about weight in mixed company. Not even in the most vague and general terms. Some people are triggered by the W word.
I’m kinda welcoming the push-back against the push-back for “fat shaming,” as I’ve heard it called.

I’ve been overweight to one degree or another most of my life. I know what it is to be the butt of fat jokes.

But noting that excess poundage isn’t healthy is just plainly stating a fact, and at that a fact that ought be plainly stated. The costs of obesity to the overweight individuals and to society can’t be denied.

@belfastboy.
AND never ever ask..."Oh, have you lost weight" as it implies they were fat previously......no easy escape from that one.

My face has all kinds of scars. Mostly from run-ins with basal cell carcinoma. Add a salt and pepper beard to my scar face and put it on a 6’3” frame and some people find me intimidating. This is something that often goes over my head, because I still mentally see myself as the harmless geeky puppy dog that was me in my teens and twenties. But, yep, plenty of scars.
This reminded me of the scars I've carried on my face for several years--dog bite by my left eye, the asymmetry of a broken nose, tire iron impact on my right cheek, basal cell carcinoma removed from the left side of my nose, scar under my chin (currently hidden by my beard). Somehow, all but the tiny depression left by the MOHS surgery (to remove the basal cell carcinoma) have faded and now I can't even see them. I used to stand 6'2", but age and back surgery have shrunk me down to an even 6' (the last time anyone checked, anyway). Harmless? Pretty much, yeah. I don't like physical fights; even if you "win", your hands and such hurt for days after. And yet, I've had family, friends, and even a few strangers tell me that I have this "way" about me, a look and a "vibe" that says, "Don't **** with me," and I don't get it 'cause I'm not that guy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When you want to enjoy a nice lunch of fried potatoes and (pork) liver, pay attention, that the portion of the liver is not too much.

I had lunch together with my Mum, yesterday, in our smalltowns classic working class-like restaurant, where you can get delicious down-to-earth-dishes in clean quality for "normal-people prices".

Normally, at home, we did "potato mash with fried liver and onions."
And in the nice restaurant of my parents former workmate, they always do "(Pork) liver and fried potatoes", meaning an XL portion of liver and aside a portion potatoes and of course nice side vegetables.

After we went home, I felt a little headache coming up. Later, I drank a cup of coffee turkish for solid caffeine and that helped for a while! Some times later, I had the runs, but softly.
But already before evening dinner, the headache came back an then became so harsh al little later, that I first took a pain killer, but went to bathroom minutes after.
Man, I didn´t throw up so heavy in the last 100 years! And the runs exterminated the rest. After, I felt really better.

Some minutes later, I ate some zwieback and had a cup of fruit tea. That was good. But before sleep, I took an Ibuprofen 600 and it of course helped me very well for the night. I slept perfectly.
Feeling still dizzy, today, but okay.

It surely must have been an harsh overdose of Vitamine A from the liver, with the typical symptoms. I very seldomly eat fried liver and that was too much for me.
My Mum felt okay at daytime, but then had bad sleep and dizzy headache at night.

I think, we took at least a three months amount of Vitamine A with the lunch... o_O

I'm pretty sure that would be my reaction if I ate liver regardless of what else I had eaten. :eek:

Normally, IF the portion of fried liver isn´t too much, adults 30+ become just "some" flatulence. And the amount of onions is of course the other story. ;)

But the older you get, the heavier the side effects become, that´s for sure!
I know really bad stories from older people/retirees, ouch.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Never mind the liver, I couldn't be in the room with the onions, let alone eat them. My all time Ticks You Off food peeve is this insistence on putting the vile bulbs in everything, and then dismissing those of us who physically can't eat them due to allergies or bowel disease as "finicky." NO, "JUST PICK THEM OUT" DOESN'T CUT IT.

Turnip

That’s why we serve almost no readily prepared salads anymore at family barbecues.., but kind of a green buffet instead where everybody can pick their favorite greens and leave away everything they can’t agree with.

It’s my good fortune to have very few food aversions, let alone allergies.

I can’t say that liver and onions was ever my first choice, but I did eat it and I would again.

It was only after I was grown that my Dear Old Ma confided to me that we never had liver for dinner when the Old Man (who forcefully demanded we all eat whatever was on the table, no matter our particular likes and dislikes) was around, because he didn’t like liver. Phony ph***.

I do recall develop a dislike for liverwurst, however, on account of getting sick one school day afternoon after having had a liverwurst sandwich at lunch. Must’ve been in third grade, maybe fourth. It caused me to miss my weekly outing to the bowling alley. I blamed the liverwurst.

And I avoided macaroni and cheese until fairly recent years, seeing how I’d previously only had the kind that came in a box. And then there’s the memories of seeing the macaroni and cheese residue left to harden on plates left in the kitchen sink, back in the days when only rich people (by our standards) had automatic dishwashers. (It’s among my petty grievances that people leave food on their plates. Not wanting to eat it all is fine by me, but as the person in this household who tends to most of the domestic chores, leaving much food on the dishes just makes more work for me. Put it in the garbage, please, or put the plate on the floor, where the dog can get at it. Let him do his job. He’s quite good at it.)

Chicken liver has a more delicate taste than beef liver, by the way. Should you ever find yourself at the 13 Coins in Seattle, try the chicken liver and pepper cheese omelette. It was among my faves for a late-night/early morning repast. (They’re open all night.)

Who?

Practically Family
Men who eat in a restaurant while wearing a hat, usually a baseball cap, and frequently worn backwards.

They are totally oblivious to how uncouth and rude this is.

Turnip

Customer’s king. An experience Isle of Mallorca is currently going through.

One of the rare occasions I’ve seen a hotel owner really asserting a certain dress code for his restaurant has been in Mauritius. The head waiter sent everyone back for redressing who didn’t show up to be seated in proper evening dress but in shorts, jeans, flipflops, basecaps… instead, women as well of course.

Men who eat in a restaurant while wearing a hat, usually a baseball cap, and frequently worn backwards.

They are totally oblivious to how uncouth and rude this is.
In this part of the world I've seen men who were of an age that they should have known better wearing a hat or cap while seated at a table in a restaurant eating their meal, never mind the countless younger men and women doing the same thing. "Hat etiquette" has become an antiquated notion that few people care about in 2022; most people don't even know such a thing ever existed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ