Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Not really ticking me off, just as a sidenote. Maybe, it's interesting to some.

My first laserprinter (Brother HL-1110) is now gone. Lasted ten years. In the last half year, the electronics started to die.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I travel in Mauritius with my favorite hats, each telling a unique story of the breathtaking landscapes and vibrant experiences I've encountered. Amidst the excitement of exploring this paradise, one aspect that truly stands out is my choice of transportation - the Mauritius car rental services.

Navigating the enchanting roads of Mauritius is a delightful journey made even more enjoyable by reliable car rental options. So, as I don my favorite hats for another adventure in Mauritius, I take comfort in the fact that these trusted car rental services will continue to enhance my journey with reliability and efficiency.
So, hows does this fit into "Really Ticks You Off"?

So, hows does this fit into "Really Ticks You Off"?

Considering the username, "snzcarrental", I assumed it was just another attempt at free advertising by some loser who thinks we might want to spend our vacation days on a smallish island off the east coast of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. Nothing personal pal, but no thank you. And if I'm wrong, I apologize.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Raging at eBay. Three times now (three different auctions) they have rejected my complaint about sellers misusing a brand. Specifically, it is agsinst ebay's published rules to use in an auction title a brand name which is not that of the product for sale. All three of these were random hats with "Stetson" in the title. None of them were Stetsons. Ebay appears not to understand Stetson is a brand name.... GAH!!!!

Raging at eBay. Three times now (three different auctions) they have rejected my complaint about sellers misusing a brand. Specifically, it is agsinst ebay's published rules to use in an auction title a brand name which is not that of the product for sale. All three of these were random hats with "Stetson" in the title. None of them were Stetsons. Ebay appears not to understand Stetson is a brand name.... GAH!!!!
Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace often turn a deaf ear to easily verifiable reports of scams.

Edward

Bartender
Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace often turn a deaf ear to easily verifiable reports of scams.

Oh, I have less than zero faith in Facebook that way. Last week, I reported about eight different posts that were undeniably, openly and clearly racist, Islamophobic, and promoting the erasure of certain people's gender identity. Not a one of them troubled FB's "community standards".
Today, I was "restricted" on facebook for one hour, because a post I made on 19th January 2023 has been deemed "wrong" by their "independent fact checkers". I have no idea what it was (there's a possibility it was a joke they didn't understand), and can't see it anywhere as it's been summarily deleted, so I have no idea why they zoned in on such an old post.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Speaking of eBay, its search function grows more useless with every passing day. When I'm looking to buy shoes, my search results are littered with auto parts. When I'm looking to buy a radio tube, my search results are littered with underwear. Unless I use long, complicated search strings for every item I search, I get dozens of irrelevant results for every one that actually relates to anything that I might actually want to buy, and most of those irrelevancies seem to be mass listings of cheap junk shipped from China. Did eBay turn into Temu and I missed it that morning I overslept?

Edward

Bartender
Speaking of eBay, its search function grows more useless with every passing day. When I'm looking to buy shoes, my search results are littered with auto parts. When I'm looking to buy a radio tube, my search results are littered with underwear. Unless I use long, complicated search strings for every item I search, I get dozens of irrelevant results for every one that actually relates to anything that I might actually want to buy, and most of those irrelevancies seem to be mass listings of cheap junk shipped from China. Did eBay turn into Temu and I missed it that morning I overslept?

I think they're trying to push buyers into more use of the filtering system. The problem being that if what you're after might be in one of two categories, that means you have to run separate searches - and you can miss a lot of stuff if sellers don't fill that info in. I also no longer much trust eBay's judgement (see my comments above re their inability to distinguish 'fedora' and 'Stetson' thus refusing to accept breaches of their own rules.....).

Etsy has nicer stuff, but a worse search facility by far....

There are online marketplaces that cater to people with more money to throw around than most all of us mere mortals ever will. Chairish is one; 1stDibs is another.

I don’t object to the existence of such “resources.” High-end interior decorators spending their well-heeled clients’ money have no need nor desire to pass their days scouring estate sales and remote antique malls in search of bargains.

What’s objectionable is the person who thinks his swag will fetch anything remotely approaching 1stDibs asking prices. (Asking prices as opposed to actual sales prices.) Some relative newbie to the antique/vintage scene living in Bozeman thinks the chair he got from his recently departed grandmother’s estate is worth $5K because one “just like it” is listed on Chairish for even more than that. That’s just fine, really. He doesn’t know better, and people aren’t born knowing this stuff. But when people who do know better politely tell him he’s not likely to get even a fourth as much he takes offense and gives them an argument.

I have the original artwork for a cartoon that appeared in the New Yorker in 1973. I got it for 10 bucks, framed and ready to hang. I told the junktique peddler I bought it from what it was and that it was likely worth considerably more than that. She let me have it for 10 bucks anyway, seeing how I was a reliable customer and how we liked each other well enough. (She had a jealous boyfriend, though, and he resented me.) I sent photos of it, with a ruler laid next to it, to the original art department at the NYer. The helpful woman there informed me of the issue and page number where it appeared. She told me that if she had it she would price it at $2,200. But she added that it might not ever sell, for that or any price. Realistically, she said, it might bring $200 at auction, so less than a tenth as much.
This isn’t a joke, but it’s a joke.
New ones can be had for less than a C regular retail (I paid substantially less than that for mine). On Saturday I walked past a house with lotsa native plants in the yard and a little sign proclaiming it an urban wildlife sanctuary or something along those lines. A couple of rusty steel chairs of this type completed the tableau. Now I fear a person stumbling across this listing won’t resist the temptation to steal them.

IMG_3211.jpeg

Last edited:

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
This isn’t a joke, but it’s a joke.
New ones can be had for less than a C regular retail (I paid substantially less than that for mine). On Saturday I walked past a house with lotsa native plants in the yard and a little sign proclaiming it an urban wildlife sanctuary or something along those lines. A couple of rusty steel chairs of this type completed the tableau. Now I fear a person stumbling across this listing won’t resist the temptation to steal them.

View attachment 594668
Heee! Heee! Heee! There's one born every minute! The vendor is certainly hoping for one, and "no one ever went broke underestimating ...", but seriously, is the vendor delusional, naive, or merely seeking to test the greater fool theory?

Heee! Heee! Heee! There's one born every minute! The vendor is certainly hoping for one, and "no one ever went broke underestimating ...", but seriously, is the vendor delusional, naive, or merely seeking to test the greater fool theory?
I suspect these absurd listings are made by people hoping to make their somewhat less absurd (but still absurd) listings look almost reasonable.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Inanimate objects, don't let anyone tell you that they are simply inanimate. The crash of saucepans and the very unlady-like language that followed, told me that our saucepans really do have a mind of their own.

How I sympathised with Tina, last week I was putting a couple of glass dessert dishes away. A wine glass, determined to get out, made three attempts before I started talking to it. I invited it to jump, seeing as it had every intention of doing so. It must have caught the disapproval in my tone, either that or it is fluent in profanity. Mercifully, it gave up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner