Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Hercule

Practically Family
Things labeled "honors".

I work at a modest mid-west university and they like to bandy about elite, exclusive things with the "honors" label attached - "honors dorm"; "honors classes"; "honors recitals" etc... I just find it annoying somehow. Shouldn't attending a college or university be an "honors" thing from the get go, for ALL students? Otherwise should one not up to an "honors" level really be there at all? I know, I know most colleges have to pay the bill and can't affort to be too selective with who they accept.

Things labeled "honors".

I work at a modest mid-west university and they like to bandy about elite, exclusive things with the "honors" label attached - "honors dorm"; "honors classes"; "honors recitals" etc... I just find it annoying somehow. Shouldn't attending a college or university be an "honors" thing from the get go, for ALL students? Otherwise should one not up to an "honors" level really be there at all? I know, I know most colleges have to pay the bill and can't affort to be too selective with who they accept.

Are the "honor dorm, classes, etc." something the students obtain through their achievements at the college, i.e., you have this grade point average after two semesters so you can more into the "honor dorm," or is it something you start with, i.e., you did so well on your SATs or you have so high a high school GPA that you will be at the honor level in our university the day your start?

If the former, than maybe the honor thing is a way of recognizing achievement in your university and, if that is the case, then - without know more about it (always a risk) - it seems like a time-honored (tee-hee) way of recognizing achievement. Conversely, if it reflects your status upon entry to your university, then I'm fully with you.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Ok. I kno I'm gonna get some flack... but im tired of seeing these vain, self absorbed, narcissistic, seasonally overdressed "dandys" appearing all over Fedora Lounge Facebook... Hasn't anyone told them it's SUMMER! Where are the spring/summer colors...? Where are all the lightweight/summerweight/tropical weight suits or sport jacket/trouser combos/coordinates...? And what I find UNUSUAL, it's only men... Where are the women...?

Last edited:
Fedora Lounge is on Facebook?

Maybe those guys are Australian, its the middle of winter in the southern hemisphere. But honestly I don't know, because I'm not on Facebook.

Yeah, it's "a group for members of The Fedora Lounge, or people who are otherwise interested in the fashion and aesthetics of the Golden Era." I don't think it's officially hosted or sponsored or whatevertheycallit by The Lounge, but I could be wrong.

...Maybe those guys are Australian, its the middle of winter in the southern hemisphere. But honestly I don't know, because I'm not on Facebook.
You're not missing much. I only signed up because I wanted to see what my wife and a friend thought was so special about it. Other than being able to re-connect with a few friends I haven't seen or heard from in years, and being able to communicate with people on-the-cheap, I've never really seen the attraction. With regards to the Fedora Lounge group, I don't think there's a whole lot of content there that you can't find here.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Maybe those guys are Australian, its the middle of winter in the southern hemisphere. But honestly I don't know, because I'm not on Facebook.

Highly unlikely... There were summer plants/trees, tropical type foliage and even palm trees in the pics.

p51

One Too Many

I refuse to take part in Facebook for several reasons. I didn't know FL was there, either, but I'm not surprised as there's a portion of the online world that only lives there. The annoying part is they assuming everyone else lives there, too.
Watch this if you hate Facebook, too. You'll love it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRg9Q1d3kY

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Never knew there was FL on the FB until now.
I like the photos that they have shared.
Like looking at someone’s family album !

5ufkuc.png
oqj4w1.png

15zl26x.png
2eowf7l.png

2afe4ud.png

A young Cary Grant with two “Fans” ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You can tell it is a "young" Cary Grant in the last picture as, while the clothes look fantastic, an older Cary would never have worn that jacket with those pants as the two patterns clash - basically, they are both window panes patterns of slightly different scale. Not something the nearly sartorially perfect older Cary would have done.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
People on facebook knew my wife and I were getting separated before I did.

That's heartbreaking. I'm really sorry. :(

On another dark note, I have a girl friend from high school who's ex broke into her Facebook account (they were married 10 years and he knew her well enough to guess her passwords). He used the information he got from her private messages (these are like text messages or emails) to stalk her and her kids. My friend had information she had chatted with friends about her kids sporting events, her work schedule, playdates, etc.

She brought the breaking into her account up in court but couldn't prove it was him, so he had visitation for awhile until he really messed up.

I guess that's a reminder to change passwords every once in a while. I hate doing that, though. I can't remember them.

Because they advise you not to use the same password you end up having to have a little black book full of all your passwords, most of which you rarely use or will have forgotten. A friend of mine who is obsessed with this kind of thing claims that one of his passwords has 63 characters. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

MissJilliss2Thrill

New in Town
I cycle around town a lot and what really gets me riled is traffic lights...There is this one crossing that really determines whether or not I make it to work on time somedays... It´s especially frustrating when I come cycling up and the light just goes red right when I reach the intersection. I stop, knowing I will be waiting for a full cycle of the lights, which costs me about 3 minutes... I then get to watch a whole 3-5 cars in total (!) coming from the other directions while I (and a long line of cars behind me) stare at the mostly grey skies or or duck for cover in a heavy rain (just me).

Ooh, grrr..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy