Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
All the zooming chrome CGI logos, explosive music, and swooping sound effects used on news programs irritate me immensely.

I miss when news logos were simple and dignified:

maxresdefault.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On the subject of the news, updates on TV here were always called news breaks or news bulletins. On the bottom of the screen there would be a bar with graphics that read "news bulletin".
A litte while back the geniuses at channel 9 decided to change that to "news alert." Now most people I know who see news alert immediately think, "oh no! What's happened now? Mass shooting? Terror attack? Earthquake?" But no, it's just the regular news update. Months later and whenever I see it on the TV I still get that initial reaction of concern.
Sensationalist stupidity.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
CBS radio used to have a thing called the NetAlert system, which was a thing for alerting affiliates who weren't carrying network programming that something was cooking and that they should be prepared to cut out of local programming and join the net. They would test this circuit regularly by sending a bunch of beeps and control tones down the line at intervals. But they tested it so often that you got used to it and when the time came that there was an actual NetAlert, you hardly looked up from the three month old copy of Billboard you were reading while you were supposed to be paying attention to your shift.

ChrisB

A-List Customer
A long enough driveway tends to keep all but Jehova's Witnesses away from our door:

View attachment 351127
I once had a Siberian Husky who, in spite of her wolf like appearance, was the most gentle dog I’ve ever owned. Nevertheless, the sight of her bounding up to the front door made most sales people seek greener pastures elsewhere.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Native American "fry bread" is close.

The Southwest is an area I have visited only once or twice, and only on business. I have read and really liked all the Tony Hillerman novels set among the Navajo in the Four Corners area, and that's how I learned of fry bread.

While it may be made of fried dough, they're not called doughnuts, so my original comment stands.

Back on the Donut topic.

I had my first two Donuts, today. From the inhouse bakery shop at my regular supermarket.
Yeast dough, very good, with (not too much) chocolate glazing and hazelnut bits. Tasted excellent! From the counter of course, not the shelf.

Last edited:

Hercule

Practically Family
I have seen the dark side and I didn't like it.

Participating on various forums is about as close as I get to social media. There are different types of fora each with distinctly different dynamics driving them. I find that history oriented forums (I consider FL to be such a forum, largely) are the most conducive to moderation, civilized debate (mostly, they do have their moments though) and the exchange of ideas, knowledge and expertise. I recently published a book and I willingly admit that the insight and information generously shared in discussions at a certain forum helped immensely with my research. And I very gladly gave credit where credit was due. I quite enjoy participating is such history oriented forums.

Hobby focused forums, on the other hand, are quite a different animal. I recently returned to two hobby forums after a hiatus of about a decade. I had actively returned to the hobby and wanted to participate in the exchange of ideas. But what a nasty, intolerant, cutthroat, opinionated, polarized, partisan world it is. And addicting too! I engaged in many threads and tried to participate with (as I saw it) rationality, well reasoned insight and willingness to learn. It was thrilling and I obsessively kept going back trying to be a part of the conversation. But in the face of it all I realized that it was all being driven by just a few, many of whom I started to butt heads with. Fortunately, I was able to see the light and realize what it was doing to me and I have since backed off considerably and will likely fizzle out before long. Where that hobby is concerned I'll be happy to do my own thing.

As so I consider this to be my brush with social media. A dark, consuming beast it is. Luckily I survived it.

Did you ever had sweet Curry cucumbers? These are peeled pieces of cucumber in sweet Curry sauce in a keg from supermarket.

Not bad, but it needs getting used to, very. It reminds me immediately of Currywurst and Pommes. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21