Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Stripper stories? I’ve got a few. Best were the Kindergarten Teachers in Baltimore who, every summer, went out of state to work as strippers. Earned much more during the summers than they earned during the school year. Their only rule was “don’t date the clientele “. They were actually very nice young women.

A game that Used to be popular was “what’s your stripper name?” First name: the name of your childhood pet. Last name: the name of a street you lived on.

what‘s your stripper name?

My wife once sprung this "stripper name" business on me. Told me her stripper name is "Misty McKnight". There are times I wish I'd married Misty McKnight.

EngProf

Practically Family
"A game that Used to be popular was “what’s your stripper name?” First name: the name of your childhood pet. Last name: the name of a street you lived on."
My dog was named "King" and we lived on "Oxbow Drive"
King Oxbow is not very sexy...

Any idea, which stupid prom started this trend, that (younger) women fully shave their head??
Who can truly say why anyone does anything? With younger women it's probably because someone they admire did it, so they thought they'd give it a try. With older women...I don't know. Convenience? I've been told by a few older women that was the reason they began wearing their hair shorter. Maybe younger women are discovering the same thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Magdalene begged forgiveness and stood with Mary and John at the Cross; tomb reception of the risen Christ,
believed exile to modern day France with other Christians including Joseph of Aramathea.
El Greco and de Miranda endlessly pursued her, the former more chaste but her complexity obvious allure.
Magdalene is a Catholic saint of high rank well beyond mere temporal state for the reach of Church fools.

I once went out of my way to visit the relics (skull) of Mary Magdalene at St-Maximin-something-something, a small town in Southern France.

More recently our minister based a whole sermon on the fact that Magdalene means “the tower” and that that nickname is all that survives of her standing as one of the great disciples of of Christianity; the sexism of the church having stripped her of her high standing.

My curiosity piqued, I looked into his claims and learned that Magdalene does indeed translate as the tower. However, the town that she supposedly came from was named after a famous tower located there that was used to dry fish. Most sources site this as the origin of her name.

This is not to say that Mary Magdalene hasn’t been repainted in the light of sexism, but only to say that a little homework is in order whenever we hear new claims about famous historical figures.

Last edited:

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
/...and that that nickname is all that survives of her standing as one of the great disciples of of Christianity; the sexism of the church having stripped her of her high standing.
This is not to say that Mary Magdalene hasn’t been repainted in the light of sexism.../
Clerical sexism has its role; yet Magdalene faded back into exiled obscurity, cloaked with mystery, and remains
ethereal enigma whose brief stage presence wrote indelible record in church doctrine. While never accorded
as doctorate of the Catholic Church, her scribes de Miranda, El Greco and others painted haunting portraiture
capturing her mystic objective equivalence to Aquinas, Teresa, St John of The Cross, and St Therese.

Something, I wanted to ask you all, but always forgot again and again:

What exactly was the point on Destiny's Child and their big success? Was there anything special and innovative on them? I just never comprehend, why they were so popular.

Last edited:
Those who refuse to acknowledge the distinction between “can’t” and “won’t.”

You know, when a person in a decision-making position says “I can’t do that” when that person clearly can but chooses not to.

I may have committed the same sin myself a time or two. Many have. But failing to acknowledge it is a refusal to accept responsibility for one’s own decisions. Perhaps those decisions are entirely defensible. If so, then own them.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Something, I wanted to ask you all, but always forgot again and again:

What exactly was the point on Destiny's Child and their big success? Was there anything special and innovative on them? I just never comprehend, why they were so popular.

I don't think they, as a group or individually, offered anything particularly innovative at all. They were, of course, very popular and clearly lots of people wanted to listen to them, so. Nature of commercial pop music, I suppose - it's a world where the validity lies in the sales.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We keep a commode filled to the top with old, rusty nails, bits and pieces for plumbing, historical soldering and brazing fluxes, furniture keys and metal bits potpourri… we enherited from my girlie’s grandpa.

Another sign for getting old is the moment you buy your first extended length shoehorn…

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Another sign for getting old is the moment you buy your first extended length shoehorn…

1696679539515.png

An extended length shoe horn is often followed by extended length toe nail clippers.

Is it just me? I hold on to junk that I might need, just in case. I keep it for years, then when I finally throw it out I need it, a week later!
Among the great benefits of living in one house for many years is having on hand all those little odds and ends which you’ve acquired over those years.

Baling wire, picture wire, speaker wire, electrical wire, wire nuts, power strips, wall anchors, paint, paint brushes, paint rollers, paint sprayer, tape (in many varieties), tape measures, tools, nuts and bolts and screws and nails. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

I’m not much or a handyman, nor a mechanic. But much of what needs fixing or replacing around the house doesn’t require specialized skills or equipment. And I have a two-car garage (I’m an American suburbanite, so that’s almost a birthright) and two garden sheds and a utility room in the basement. So it isn’t that all that stuff is in my way. In some ways, it’s better than money in the bank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy