Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So which era of clothing do you like best?

To which era of style do you subscribe?

• 1920s

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 1930s

• 1940s

• 1950s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1960s

• Total voters

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
judge_1920_11_06_a.jpg

carr_family_1930.jpg

1940-WithRonaldReagan-scan.jpg

PL005~Paris-1950-Posters.jpg

Sid_Avery_Oceans_Eleven_Las_Vegas_1960_315_1122.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I sort of straddle the 1940 period. Anything from mid 30's to mid 40's is OK with me.
I'd like to see this poll in the Powder Room, to see how the ladies stack up vis a vis the gents. I'll bet you'd find a lot more of the gals who like 50's style.

surely

A-List Customer
I refuse to be pigeon holed. I am a fusionist. The art of dressing intrinsically involves semiotics, sending symbolic messages. The ones I choose to send vary over time and are sometimes complex.

And so I insist on choice. I revel in the freedom to combine elements from different eras.

:cool2:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I straddle two or three as well, I like the twenties, but my favorite is the period from 1930 to 1945. If I had to choose one, though, I'd take the '30s.

Josephine

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I'd like to see this poll in the Powder Room, to see how the ladies stack up vis a vis the gents. I'll bet you'd find a lot more of the gals who like 50's style.

Eeeep, good thing I didn't vote! I like the 40's into the 50's. I like the big skirts of the 50's, but I don't like the square/high necklines. I need deep scoops and V's to not look like a lump on top. :(

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Nothing wrong with women's styles of the 50's! Donna Reed, Barbara Billingsley, not to mention Lucy and Audrey Hepburn! A totally timeless look.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I prefer the 20's and 30's. What i love about the 20's is the whole lifestyle. I love the music, the architecture,..just how exciting and modern life would have seemed compared to the decades proceeding it, and the clothes also reflect this with a very modern feel...I also love the glamour of the 30's styles and the long clean lines of the fashions of both decades. Anything later than that makes me feel frumpy.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
I voted 1940s, but really, I straddle that whole six- or seven-year period surrounding 1950. The Bold Look for me, please. :cool:

-Tofu

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I can't really pick one either- I do a more 20s clean-look some days, 30s newsboy the next, the 40s noir look with a wider brimmed hat, and last night I wore a skinny 50s Ivy League suit.....But to study and read about I find the late 20s (Duke of Windsor) into the early 40s the most exciting time for menswear.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Thats a tough question if your keep stirctly to the decades. I like much about the Edwardian period but some of my favorite styles, music, art and architecture come from the period between the wars in New York City.

No Purist, I.

I dislike breaking things into decades. Middle 1920s through to the middle 1970s. (Demise of the "jazz" suits to the rise of the "Disco" suits.) The eras immediately preceding and succeeding these dates, in my opinion, threw up some of the most unflattering styles men have ever had to endure. Each era offers something. I'm probably most taken with 1930s and early 1960s styles. I also like pre-"Victorian" styles. Men were a little less inhibited, like they were in the late 60s and early 70s.

The late 1970s 'til now i lived through and have the classic "cringe factor" solidly in play so my opinions on those eras are probably less valid.

bk

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
My preference is toward the 40s, but find 50s style equally likable. Will quite happily adapt either with present day styles just to add a classic look with todays fashion.

renor27

One of the Regulars
Era

Matt,
how could you leave off the teens
If I was to find a era for me in clothing would have to say from the mid teens to the mid 20s.
For a city home of course Art Deco then for a home in the mountains the grand homes of the Teens .
As for cars late teens dirt track racer, then for all other cars 20s,to right up to the war. As for bikes BMWs from the late 1937 to 1969 and the last /2
David

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
renor27 said:
Matt,
how could you leave off the teens
If I was to find a era for me in clothing would have to say from the mid teens to the mid 20s.
For a city home of course Art Deco then for a home in the mountains the grand homes of the Teens .
As for cars late teens dirt track racer, then for all other cars 20s,to right up to the war. As for bikes BMWs from the late 1937 to 1969 and the last /2
David

Why you can't compare the teens to these lesser decades. I think it would be an insult to the era by placing the teens next to such things as ... well the those 1920's where everything just went out of control.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Again, it's different for men's vs women's in the transition from teens to 20's For men, the teens had more tent like silhouettes, which became a little more trim in the 20's. But for women the change was really radical. From Mrs Woodrow Wilson to Clara Bow in the space of just about 3 years !

pistolpete

Familiar Face
1930's golden age

The 30's for me because of the trousers and color. Shoe styles also became realized in the 30's.
I love the full cut trouser look of that era.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Whoopsie daisy, I just voted without noticing it was for men only. Sorry 'bout that. You'll have to minus one vote from the 50's then.

renor27

One of the Regulars
you are so right see now why you left off the teens

Matt Deckard said:
Why you can't compare the teens to these lesser decades. I think it would be an insult to the era by placing the teens next to such things as ... well the those 1920's where everything just went out of control.

Matt how right you are.
I do think the teens get so over looked.
Do love the grand hotels and grand resorts of that time. that feeling did carry over into the early 1920's.
But by 1925 things had become so out of control, so youth oriented. A flapper is nice on the eyes but for the most part it was about the body and not the mind. Though some very wonderful ideas and novels were come off the left bank of the Saine.
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy