Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So which era of clothing do you like best?

To which era of style do you subscribe?

• 1920s

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 1930s

• 1940s

• 1950s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1960s

• Total voters

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
I like a little of the whole range. I don't try to dress detail specific to a certain detail. I use the 20th century as a guide for classic style. If you eliminate the fads then there was a general idea of balance and proportion that ran from the 20's to the 60's. A well cut suit was a well cut suit in any year.

metropd

One Too Many
Mid to late 1920's for suits and late 1930's to 1940's for fedoras. 1870's to 1880's for top hats. 1820- 1840's for mens fashion as a whole.

Chas

One Too Many
For work: 1950's. It's durable, practically new and there's lots and lots of it.

For going out on a date: 1940's suit with splashy tie.

Lodge nights mean my 1927 tux.

Otherwise, 30s/40s style is where I live.

Jovan

Suspended
This was very hard for me to decide on, so I compromised. I like the styles of the '20s (to some extent), '30s, '50s, and '60s very much. '40s are okay, but the post war look wasn't my bag at all. To be fair, I only like the '60s up to a certain point too.

So, I voted 1950s. [huh]

metropd

One Too Many
I always liked a late 20's- early 30's look for women. Then again like Surley I don't subscribe to one era nor do I wear alot of vintage clothes in the first place. Just my one DB suit and the vintage Stetson 20.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Lensmaster said:
I like a little of the whole range. I don't try to dress detail specific to a certain detail. I use the 20th century as a guide for classic style. If you eliminate the fads then there was a general idea of balance and proportion that ran from the 20's to the 60's. A well cut suit was a well cut suit in any year.

I fully agree. I happen to like all the styles between the 1910's to the mid-1960's. The postwar period 1945-1960 style is the way I dress, but I couldn't say I just like that 15 year period alone.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
GoldenEraFan said:
I fully agree. I happen to like all the styles between the 1910's to the mid-1960's. The postwar period 1945-1960 style is the way I dress, but I couldn't say I just like that 15 year period alone.

Ditto. For work (teacher), I dress within an early-'40s to early-'60s framework. Fedora-wise, though, I tend to stick with mid-50s. Due to an early (and continuing diet) of post-war films, I am a diehard admirer of the Bold Look, but can appreciate the Italian-inspired Mr. T look (although it went overboard in the late '50s).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
'30s for evening, and '40s for day would be my favourites. '50s stuff is cute but not as sexy and dangerous as the '40s, so its very wearable but not quite as fun.

I never have a place to wear a '30s evening gown, more's the pity, so I think I'm going to have to give the nod to the '40s.

I would like to see pics of '40s evening gowns just to see how they're different from the '30s, though. It might be the all-around winner.

'50s stuff *is* supremely wearable for my figure, which is say I have a lot of it and don't mean to sound dismissive. Because I can wear '50s, I cannot wear '20s at all.

Serena

New in Town
I like to see men wearing 1930s -1940s styles, although late 1940s - 1950s for the beach is nice.

My personal wardrobe is mainly 1940s - mid 1950s styles as I feel I don't look nice in most 20s or 30s styles having a waist/hip ratio of more than 10 inches... slim bias cuts look awful on me :(

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
Ditto. For work (teacher), I dress within an early-'40s to early-'60s framework. Fedora-wise, though, I tend to stick with mid-50s. Due to an early (and continuing diet) of post-war films, I am a diehard admirer of the Bold Look, but can appreciate the Italian-inspired Mr. T look (although it went overboard in the late '50s).

I'm the same with fedora's, I have two small brimmed fedora's that I wear when I'm dressed in casual attire and a wider brim fedora for when I'm more formal. My casual attire is more mid-1950's to mid-1960's, while my formal attire is 1940's inspired.

draws

Practically Family
30s and 40s

I've always been fascinated with 30s formal evening wear. Also very drawn to the 30s/40s country look (i.e. hounds/hacking/equestrian wear). I really am fond of the 40s men's suits and shoe styles.

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
Voted 20s, would have voted teens. Thirties and later stuff (whether vintage or "inspired by") is easier to wear casually today though.

I saw THE FOG OF WAR not long ago, and Woodrow Wilson's clothes put JFK's to shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24