Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sock Garters

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Smithy said:
And rugby socks? Worn a few of those! Although, even if you had of worn garters there was no way they would stay up longer than 5 minutes in a rugby game!

Definitely! Cheers to a fellow Rugger!

I have to say, though; I'll have a partially cracked rib, a taped-up split eyebrow, and a black-eye forming, completely exhausted and dehydrated on the Rugby pitch... and I'll STILL be thinking about how uncomfortable I am with my socks down around my boots!! :eusa_doh:

-Tim the Big Fat Rugby Prop :D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
BigLittleTim said:
Definitely! Cheers to a fellow Rugger!

I have to say, though; I'll have a partially cracked rib, a taped-up split eyebrow, and a black-eye forming, completely exhausted and dehydrated on the Rugby pitch... and I'll STILL be thinking about how uncomfortable I am with my socks down around my boots!! :eusa_doh:

-Tim the Big Fat Rugby Prop :D

Aha, a big, brawny front rower!

Lots of fun although I was never first XV material for school. Cricket was and still is my first love.

ThomasV

New in Town
Sock suspenders

Just received my sock suspenders from Cable Clothiers in San Francisco. They are Thurston's made in England. They are navy blue with a gold stripe.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
kabuto said:
Brooks Brothers sells them (but not online).

There's a scene early in the Twin Peaks first season where Kyle McLaughlin is hanging upside down in his underwear on a gravity inversion bar (for no particular reason), wearing sock garters. A little David Lynch moment of weirdness.

or you could try www.Fogeyunlimited.co.uk

But I'm bound to say that aren't I??!!!

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
Ah, it's good to see that you can still buy these relatively easily. My grandfather asked for a pair back in the '80s, and my mom (rolling her eyes the whole time) had an absolutely terrible time finding any. Finally, she found some (black, rather boring) at the Denver Brooks Brothers. I was in Brooks Brothers not too long ago in the plaza in Kansas City, and they didn't carry them, at that location anyway. Grandpa has since passed on, but I inherited his garters, and wear them when I want to feel very dressed -usually, it's either for Church, or when there's a lass in the picture.

It's funny to me that they still sell sock garters, as uncommon as they are today, and yet don't sell so many other things we'd like to see.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I bought a pair on Amazon.com back around Christmas time, only to find out most of my socks are too short to wear them with. I find the garters themselves have to be over the top of my calf muscle to actually hold the sock up with any success, which dictates a sock that is about 3" below the top of the calf. Anyone else have this problem? Where do you fellows buy your socks?

-Dave

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
David Conwill said:
I bought a pair on Amazon.com back around Christmas time, only to find out most of my socks are too short to wear them with. I find the garters themselves have to be over the top of my calf muscle to actually hold the sock up with any success, which dictates a sock that is about 3" below the top of the calf. Anyone else have this problem? Where do you fellows buy your socks?

-Dave
Indeed, the Sock suspenders should sit over the calf. Again, a lot of modern socks aren't anywhere near long enough to wear properly with Sock Suspenders
I personally cannot abide OTC socks so most of my hose are 3/4 length which work perfectly with my sock suspenders.
RBH

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Some of mine

I admit that I prefer the single grip variety but i do have double grips as well as various vintage styles
here is my day to day collection..
SockSuspenders-1.jpg

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
I started wearing sock garters in college (dress sock type). I wore them with knee socks growing up in Scouts and still do. It was a sad day when the BSA took them out of the uniform inventory, but felt vindicated when they were brought back. I still wear them with knww socks. I like to wear them with kilt flashes sometimes to add some color.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
kabuto said:
Those look pretty good, and certainly cheaper than Brooks Brothers. They'll feel funny at first, and then you'll start to feel funny when you don't wear them.

I noticed Amazon has military shirt stays. I've wondered how those would be.

I also wear Shirt stays.. sort of depends on my mood and the shirt I am wearing. You know how some shirts tend to start to come out of position during the day.. of course shirt stays stop that happening
Fogey unlited sell the 2 grip style and the single style..

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
kabuto said:
Which end of the shirt stays go on the shirt and which on the sock?
The usual way (if a double grip version) is that the single grip attaches to your sock and the double grip to the side/tails of your shirt.
Seems to work rather well too

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I just got my first pair -- Majestic brand, sold back in the day through J.C. Penney (I can't make out the price, as the tag is mostly scratched off).

garters1.jpg
garters2.jpg

I remember, in high school, watching the reissue of the Marx Bros.' ANIMAL CRACKERS, and wondering what in the world Groucho was talking about when his Capt. Spaulding asked Roscoe W. Chandler, art expert and former fish monger, if he was wearing garters.

Now, just 35 years later, I own my own pair. Little by little, step by step...

Any other garter owners in the group? (I feel certain there are.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana