Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sock Garters

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
I absolutely hate them. I go with the modern technology when it comes to holding up your socks. Higher socks and that little bit of elastic.

I've never found a pair of socks that won't slide down. Some stay up a little longer than others, but eventually the top is going to hit my shoe. Maybe it's the shape of my calves. It was a relief when I finally got a pair of garters.

Wandering Fool

New in Town
garters/ shirt stays

I wear shirt stays which clip to my shirt and down to my socks. Keeps the socks up and the shirt bloused.I wear them more to keep my shirt tucked in. You can find them in most Army/Navy surplus stores.

Wandering Fool

New in Town
shirt stays

Shirt stays do run all the way down the leg. I don't find it bothersome and forget I have them on. However, I know that some folks do not like them. They cost about 10.00 US in a surplus store, so to experiment with them is not too hard on the wallet. I like not having to worry about my shirt which has the habit of coming untucked in the front.

Bugsy

One Too Many
DallasTrad said:
I have worn garters since I was 13 with silky sheer nylon thick 'n thin dress socks. I wear them every day and can't imagine not wearing them as I would feel almost naked and would hate having to tug at my socks all day long to keep them up and in place. I am glad there are several others who find these gems a necessity for their wardrobe just like I do.

I have typically bought my garters at Brooks Bros. but they only have them in black. You can also buy them in other colors and at a cheaper price at Muldoon's online. I have purchased them there several times and they hold up well and again are a lot less costly.

We have many things in common.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
DallasTrad said:
You can also buy them in other colors and at a cheaper price at Muldoon's online. I have purchased them there several times and they hold up well and again are a lot less costly.

That's where I get mine as well.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
zeytoun said:
Hi all, new here.

I got my sock garters at sockdreams.com (no affiliation) for $16 and love them.

I've seen their garters, and my wife wants some of the stockings on their site, but overseas customers can only pay by PayPal :(

Bugsy

One Too Many
Two treasures I found whilst shopping for vintage clothes.

ArtDecoDinner31-2011.jpg

ArtDecoDinner21-2011.jpg

Dreamofgilgamesh

A-List Customer
Ah I see! I'd never thought to search for images. For some reason, probably because the box mention English patents I had assumed them to be English, but clearly not. Maybe I was thinking Boston Lincolnshire.
Are they still produced do you know, probably not I guess.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
At one point, there were a variety of styles of sock garters, with different materials, clip designs, fasteners, and colors. Here's a sampling from the first decade of the 20th century, when these were still big business.

Brighton Garters- available in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Stripes, plaids, polka dots

Boston garters in a variety of colors and fabrics.

Boston garters in even more colors

Flexo garters

Laced leather garter by KnoThe

Perforated Leather by the Crown suspender co.

Snap fastener on a Lincoln

Boston

Mayper

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Brighton Garter. Garter clip channels sock down into point, and does not have rubber backing button, like most modern ones do.

Flexo Garters

Brighton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner