Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socks

miss_lola

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I'm new here but have been lurking for a while...

The subject of my first post is socks! I'm just wondering what other ladies wear when wearing pants? Polka dot cotton socks just doesn't seem to cut it, and trouser socks are a little granny-ish ;)

Amanda

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Why can't you wear polka dot cotton socks? Novelty socks were huge in the 40s for gals wearing pants or skirts/dresses with no stockings. I have quite an unhealthy collection of novelty socks. Very kitschy.

PS. The doggie in your avatar is precious!!

LD

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Why can't you wear polka dot cotton socks? Novelty socks were huge in the 40s for gals wearing pants or skirts/dresses with no stockings. I have quite an unhealthy collection of novelty socks. Very kitschy.

PS. The doggie in your avatar is precious!!

LD

Lady Day, do you have a resource you could share for novelty socks from the 40s? I know about the knitting movement at the time, but I haven't seen any photos of anything other than dark or light. I'm a sock knitter so I have a keen interest in this sort of thing.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
This site has a nice selection of socks (especially good range of knee highs & over the knee for bigger gals)

How cute are these?
product_2088.jpg

Last edited:

Miss Elisabeth

New in Town
I wear Walmart brand flat knit cotton or cotton blend black knee highs. And that's about it, for actual socks. It's pathetic but true - I have some issues with exposure to the cold that make it advantageous to stay warm, and knee highs do the trick. Besides, I loose socks like crazy, and find that the easiest way to make sure I have pairs is to only own a few types! Another awesome advantage was that while at school, nobody ever stole my socks - nobody wanted them! I never thought of them as particularly granny-ish, just very useful for my own life.

The only problem is that the socks that Walmart produced about 3-4 years ago are the ones that fit me the best - last years ones fall down terribly and this years ones are okay, but they don't wear quite as well. I'm looking at getting some from sock dreams but the jump from $2 a pair to $6 a pair is just *painful*. Any suggestions?

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I wear Walmart brand flat knit cotton or cotton blend black knee highs. And that's about it, for actual socks. It's pathetic but true - I have some issues with exposure to the cold that make it advantageous to stay warm, and knee highs do the trick. Besides, I loose socks like crazy, and find that the easiest way to make sure I have pairs is to only own a few types! Another awesome advantage was that while at school, nobody ever stole my socks - nobody wanted them! I never thought of them as particularly granny-ish, just very useful for my own life.

The only problem is that the socks that Walmart produced about 3-4 years ago are the ones that fit me the best - last years ones fall down terribly and this years ones are okay, but they don't wear quite as well. I'm looking at getting some from sock dreams but the jump from $2 a pair to $6 a pair is just *painful*. Any suggestions?

I am a big fan of knee highs in the winter as it gets cold in the midwest. You could try target a bit pricier than target but cheaper than sock dreams and no shipping if y ou have a local one.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I only ever wear socks with flat shoes, and they're always ankle high, with polka dots or stripes or Betty Boop on them lol Your pants should be long enough that no one sees them anyway!

miss_lola

New in Town
Wow, thanks to everyone for replying - what a great assortment of comments :) I didn't realize novelty socks were that popular in the 40s, good to know.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I don't mind socks with prints on them at all (polka dots are perfectly fine to me). In fact, most of the time my socks don't even match my outfit. lol! I call my print socks my "fun socks". I have socks with submarines, ladybugs, bows, hearts, sharks, music notes, rainbows, etc. I'm quirky when it comes to socks. :) On my future socks wish list are dinosaurs, giraffes, and elephants. If there are any 20s themed socks, I'd buy those too.

BTW, I love the dog too. I love animals. :)

I almost forgot, welcome to the Fedora Lounge Miss Lola!

Last edited:

User25159

New in Town
This site has a nice selection of socks (especially good range of knee highs & over the knee for bigger gals)

Thanksfor letting us know about this site! I've had a hard time tryimg to find socks that fold over to wear with my saddle shoes, and this place had just what I was looking for! Just placed an order:)

miss_lola

New in Town
Deco_doll_1928 - Your socks sound great! Makes me want to go sock shopping now :)

And thanks for the compliment on my dog, and for the welcome :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn