Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solution sought for uncomfortable as hell Red Wing boots

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
For summer, spring and autumn yes that's absolutely right. But I'm thinking about getting through the winter here.

To address a few other things, sorry Peter they're 10s. They fit me well, but it just feels like I'm walking on blocks of wood, irrespective of what socks I wear. I wore them all last winter so they should be broken in by now

Yeah your right ..they should have moulded to your shape by now...I didn't have much trouble with mine....hope you get insoles that solve your problem....the redwing insoles I have in a pair of Pecos are great....

Cooperson

One Too Many
Sell em and go get yourself a pair of whites or wescos, home slice.

+1 These are basically clogs, move them on. At the other end of the comfort scale have a look a Anatomic&co, their Colorado boots are like slippers! The tobacco suede are perfect for the Steve McQueen look :)

schitzo

Suspended
+1 These are basically clogs, move them on. At the other end of the comfort scale have a look a Anatomic&co, their Colorado boots are like slippers! The tobacco suede are perfect for the Steve McQueen look :)

Chaps I'm not sure the market is so hungry for my used boots!

In that case Coops how much would you pay for clogs cos when I got these in a sale it was you, and I quote, who told me "£134 for Red Wings? A steal!"
Tbh I don't have money for a new pair atm, so it's either redemption for these or back to shoes

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
£134 for Red Wings is a helluva steal! That said, I'm still wearing in my RWs, though the price I paid for them means they're not everyday boots at the mo'.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Chaps I'm not sure the market is so hungry for my used boots!

In that case Coops how much would you pay for clogs cos when I git these in a sale it was you, and I quote, who told me "£134 for Red Wings? A steal!"
Tbh I don't have money for a new pair atm, so it's either redemption for these or back to shoes

Oops, sorry mate! I still stand my statement though that £134 for Red Wings was a steal, I should have paid more attention to the model you were buying. My Iron Rangers are fine now, but as Griff suggested I needed to soak them through and then go for hike to break them in :)

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yep, there's a reason why I wouldn't want any kind of authentic 'vintage' style footwear. I just don't see the point.
One whole winter trying to break them in, and they still hurt? Life's way too short for that.
Bin the chelsea boots and buy some Danner for winter. All the best high tech fabrics and technology, hand-stitched together.

What's next? A misplaced respect for authentic 'vintage' style underpants?

devilish

A-List Customer
Red Wings with this type of sole can be a real bitch to ones feet. If you have room I swear by Superfeet insoles but bare in mind they cut the size down by about a half size inside.

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
Red Wings with this type of sole can be a real bitch to ones feet. If you have room I swear by Superfeet insoles but bare in mind they cut the size down by about a half size inside.

Superfeet insoles, excellent choice; I have used them in Iron Rangers. Or Barefoot Science; for a more "naturalistic" approach.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep, there's a reason why I wouldn't want any kind of authentic 'vintage' style footwear. I just don't see the point.
One whole winter trying to break them in, and they still hurt? Life's way too short for that.
Bin the chelsea boots and buy some Danner for winter. All the best high tech fabrics and technology, hand-stitched together.

That's just his experience. Most red wing wearers(me included) never had this problem. I had a two week break in phase because of the sole. I found the leather too hard in general but it softened up with wear. Since then I have worn them all the time in the winter months

Sounds like you need to project your frustration about this terrible vintage forum elsewhere.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like you need to project your frustration about this terrible vintage forum elsewhere.

No need to get all defensive because I don't like vintage shoes (or underpants). What's next? Are you going to tell me to leave the forum because I don't want to receive 1920's medical treatment? Grow up.

schitzo

Suspended

I didn't buy them because I thought they looked vintage that didn't come into it. Just thought they looked like good enough boots, and according to everyone here Red Wings are a good solid brand. They don't need 'breaking in' like an uncomfortable pair of footwear that doesn't quite fit your foot right does. The problem with these is that under my feet there's no give, so even though they're comfortable to begin with after an hour or so they're not

That's just his experience. Most red wing wearers(me included) never had this problem. I had a two week break in phase because of the sole. I found the leather too hard in general but it softened up with wear. Since then I have worn them all the time in the winter months

Flat Foot do you know about the type of sole these Chelsea boots have? Looking at them right now I don't see how this could ever be 'broken in' by anyone, they feel like wood with zero cushioning effect

schitzo

Suspended
No need to get all defensive because I don't like vintage shoes (or underpants). What's next? Are you going to tell me to leave the forum because I don't want to receive 1920's medical treatment? Grow up.

But have you given vintage underwear a chance?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I didn't buy them because I thought they looked vintage that didn't come into it. Just thought they looked like good enough boots, and according to everyone here Red Wings are a good solid brand. They don't need 'breaking in' like an uncomfortable pair of footwear that doesn't quite fit your foot right does. The problem with these is that under my feet there's no give, so even though they're comfortable to begin with after an hour or so they're not

Maybe you should find some boots with a double sole instead of a triple sole. How about William Lennon boots? You can customize them.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have a pair of the RW Beckham's, which are simply the slightly taller boot version of your Chelsea boot. I put a cushioned insole in mine and they are fine. I'm under the impression that these types of "work boots" are supposed to be worn with a cushioned insole - and I can't imagine wearing them without one.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Well you brought it up and made the assumption we would blindly buy uncomfortable clothing just because of it's vintage-ness. This sounds slightly aggressive too, don't you think?
It's just not true. Of course many here like the style but they are well made, last a long time and are usually comfortable (speaking of the brand, not the model). In this case they are not for some reason.

Flat Foot do you know about the type of sole these Chelsea boots have?
No, I asked back if they are the same as in the beckmanns. Maybe this was overlooked. I can't make the comparsion myself since I don't live near a RW store. Hope you find a good insole for them. They look quite good.

IXL

One Too Many
How about you guys just slide down here to my end of the bar and let me buy you both a drink, and everyone can start over, since we're all just trying to help a "mug" out! :)

schitzo

Suspended
How about you guys just slide down here to my end of the bar and let me buy you both a drink, and everyone can start over, since we're all just trying to help a "mug" out! :)

Hey! I'm a 'mugee' thank you very much. It was Red wings who did the mugging, make that Cultizism in fact, who lured me in with their sale prices

@ Flat foot I'm in the same boat as you with no store near to me either and no knowledge of the Beckmans to draw upon. An insole is what I will try. For now, I'm just trying to work out which. One from Dr Martens is about £10, a Scholl gel insole is about £20 and a superfeet pad is about £30.

@Big J, how big are you exactly? No matter, When I read your first post I felt it was a trifle confrontational too. And though that doesn't bother me - because i support anything on these pages that will break up the monotony - I am not surprised that somebody 'bit'. Perhaps you aren't either

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points