Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solution sought for uncomfortable as hell Red Wing boots

devilish

A-List Customer
Schitzo, one thing I forgot to add about Superfeet (or any anatomically correct insole) is they make your foot 'learn' it's correct position again. So there is a bit of an adjustment period there for most people who's feet have gotten used to all the crappy OEM manufacturers insoles.

schitzo

Suspended
Schitzo, one thing I forgot to add about Superfeet (or any anatomically correct insole) is they make your foot 'learn' it's correct position again. So there is a bit of an adjustment period there for most people who's feet have gotten used to all the crappy OEM manufacturers insoles.

They sound good, if a little pricey. I assume we are talking about the blue ones, are we?

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I have three pairs of Beckmans and agree the sole is very firm / woodlike. They will eventually mold to your feet and provide support but will never feel cushiony. The only solution is an actual insole (super thin model) from RedWing. All others will take up too much room in the boot unless you purposely size up 1/2 when buying new. Wear them without insoles first so the footbed molds to you and then add insoles later. My 2cents as a firm believer in RedWing

devilish

A-List Customer
Schitzo, they come in different colors. Blue, green, orange and black, these correspond to various activities that your shoe might be for. Blue is kind off the general purpose one, orange is for actual working boots/shoes etc. If you don't have much extra room in the boots I believe the black ones are the thinnest but still offer the same support shape. Hope that helps.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
We've just taken delivery of some insole at the Red Wing shoe store in London, tin cushion one for £16 and a posture comfort one for £24, both good for making the boot that bit more comfortable, or for sorting out in between sizing issues. Pop in and try them out best option, the guys there will be happy to help you.

schitzo

Suspended
I have three pairs of Beckmans and agree the sole is very firm / woodlike. They will eventually mold to your feet and provide support but will never feel cushiony. The only solution is an actual insole (super thin model) from RedWing. All others will take up too much room in the boot unless you purposely size up 1/2 when buying new. Wear them without insoles first so the footbed molds to you and then add insoles later. My 2cents as a firm believer in RedWing

As someone who has on occasion ignored good advice previously, my concern here is that yours sound suspiciously like just that. I will look into Red Wing insoles. Thanks

Schitzo, they come in different colors. Blue, green, orange and black, these correspond to various activities that your shoe might be for. Blue is kind off the general purpose one, orange is for actual working boots/shoes etc. If you don't have much extra room in the boots I believe the black ones are the thinnest but still offer the same support shape. Hope that helps.

Devilish that is very informative, thank you very much. I may not use them for these boots if I can locate Red Wing insoles, but this was good info for the road ahead

We've just taken delivery of some insole at the Red Wing shoe store in London, tin cushion one for £16 and a posture comfort one for £24, both good for making the boot that bit more comfortable, or for sorting out in between sizing issues. Pop in and try them out best option, the guys there will be happy to help you.

Could you PM me what your store is and perhaps I can order a pair online? I'm actually 40 miles away from you now and can't be bothered with that journey just for this. Thanks

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Hey! I'm a 'mugee' thank you very much. It was Red wings who did the mugging, make that Cultizism in fact, who lured me in with their sale prices

@ Flat foot I'm in the same boat as you with no store near to me either and no knowledge of the Beckmans to draw upon. An insole is what I will try. For now, I'm just trying to work out which. One from Dr Martens is about £10, a Scholl gel insole is about £20 and a superfeet pad is about £30.

@Big J, how big are you exactly? No matter, When I read your first post I felt it was a trifle confrontational too. And though that doesn't bother me - because i support anything on these pages that will break up the monotony - I am not surprised that somebody 'bit'. Perhaps you aren't either

I didn't mean to be confrontational. It's just that, y' know, I do feel that a large part of the appeal of 'vintage' is because it isn't our everyday day norm. For example, in just the same way that I complain that a lot of things today are cheap plastic rubbish, I'm sure that a lot of people in the 'golden era' would be so envious of our lycra mix stretchy underpants, thinsulate and vibram shoes, and anti-biotics.

In Japan, all lads of a certain age wear Red Wing boots, with the laces undone, and shuffle around being 'authentic Americans', which is one reason why I've never rated the brand- wrong social class associations. In addition, wouldn't buy shoes that still had leather soles or any kind of wood in the mid-sole. In this day and age, there are better alternatives; foot wear is a clear case, IMHO, of older not being better (just like medical treatment).

I like vintage cars, suits, ties, art, homes, furniture, music, leather jackets. All these things are luxuries because I live in an age that is abundant enough for me to to indulge myself with obsolete things. Necessities (being comfortable when walking, underpants that don't chafe, anti-biotics), I want the best that modern science can provide.

I'm not so big. All photos taken from a low angle.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Where did you get the impression that "vintage" (lets say 1920-50s) underwear is uncomfortable and "chafing"?

Vintage cotton underwear is supremely smooth and comfortable (and elastic).
I wear vintage Charmeuse and double-yarned Mako undershirts... they were never used, tagged deadstock items.
After a good wash... what should be wrong with them?

Modern underwear doesn't hold water compared to the good ol' stuff.

All the common contemporary types of underwear existed already by the 1930's.
Slips, shorts, various kinds of tops and shirts...

You probably imagined woolen long-johns/all-body undies. Well that's a different matter.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fastuni, he is just trolling. Don't answer.:rolleyes:

It's seems as if ****zo found a few helpful answers and will be ordering the RW insoles.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Where did you get the impression that "vintage" (lets say 1920-50s) underwear is uncomfortable and "chafing"?

Vintage cotton underwear is supremely smooth and comfortable (and elastic).
I wear vintage Charmeuse and double-yarned Mako undershirts... they were never used, tagged deadstock items.
After a good wash... what should be wrong with them?

Modern underwear doesn't hold water compared to the good ol' stuff.

All the common contemporary types of underwear existed already by the 1930's.
Slips, shorts, various kinds of tops and shirts...

You probably imagined woolen long-johns/all-body undies. Well that's a different matter.

Yeah, I'll be honest with you, when I say vintage underwear, I'm imagining coarse, knitted, woolen types. Of course, I know that virtually all modern styles of underpants were invented long ago. However, the point I was trying to make is that with modern fabrics and materials (I'm thinking about the cotton/lycra mix that I prefer) I would never choose to hunt down an 'authentic reproduction' of vintage underpants. To be honest, who would? What are you going to do with them? Show them to strangers? Sure, I understand the appeal of ladies in vintage lingerie, and likewise, maybe some ladies out there find a man in vintage underpants sexy (and there's nothing wrong with that), but the modern age gives us more comfortable choices (IMHO, and you are welcome to disagree, it's ok), and likewise with foot wear. I wonder how many vintage boot wearers back in the golden era were able to ask their internet buddies about the latest and best developments in insoles? Oh, wait, they couldn't, could they? There wasn't any internet.

For that matter, posters suggesting that my rejection of vintage boots should equate to my summary ejection from the lounge should ask themselves what's so 'authentic' about the very latest in insoles, and ordering clothes via the internet?

All I'm trying to say is that I'm not on a 'living history' kick (if you are, that's ok too), and I don't mean to show any disrespect by suggesting that uncomfortable footwear aren't worth the trouble in this day and age. We have choices that people just didn't have back in the day, and we should be grateful that we can pick and choose.

schitzo

Suspended
I didn't mean to be confrontational. It's just that, y' know, I do feel that a large part of the appeal of 'vintage' is because it isn't our everyday day norm. For example, in just the same way that I complain that a lot of things today are cheap plastic rubbish, I'm sure that a lot of people in the 'golden era' would be so envious of our lycra mix stretchy underpants, thinsulate and vibram shoes, and anti-biotics.

In Japan, all lads of a certain age wear Red Wing boots, with the laces undone, and shuffle around being 'authentic Americans', which is one reason why I've never rated the brand- wrong social class associations. In addition, wouldn't buy shoes that still had leather soles or any kind of wood in the mid-sole. In this day and age, there are better alternatives; foot wear is a clear case, IMHO, of older not being better (just like medical treatment).

I like vintage cars, suits, ties, art, homes, furniture, music, leather jackets. All these things are luxuries because I live in an age that is abundant enough for me to to indulge myself with obsolete things. Necessities (being comfortable when walking, underpants that don't chafe, anti-biotics), I want the best that modern science can provide.

I'm not so big. All photos taken from a low angle.

Have to say I agree 100% about comfortable shoes. These RW boots were an ill thought out whim from which I have learnt the hard way, literally. I will get the insoles and see if that works

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Fastuni, he is just trolling. Don't answer.:rolleyes:

It's seems as if ****zo found a few helpful answers and will be ordering the RW insoles.

I don't agree with you, so I must be 'trolling'. Arrogant, much?

Let me know how you get on with authentic vintage dental treatment, and emergency room care! lol

Flat Foot Floey

Come on. You did distract from the original topic with silly comparsions (underwear, medical treatment). I never claimed everything was better. This was about RW shoes. You don't own RW shoes and decided in a whim that you don't like them? Fine. Keep it to your self. I own a pair and wear them a lot without getting blisters or anything. So I answered with my experience on the first page and asked to make sure they are not different to my model. That's it.

I respect the fact that Schitzos feet might be different and more sensitive or his pair of boots is somehow different from mine. So he probably needs an insole. If this works: Problem solved. No need for you rants.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Come on. You did distract from the original topic with silly comparsions (underwear, medical treatment). I never claimed everything was better. This was about RW shoes. You don't own RW shoes and decided in a whim that you don't like them? Fine. Keep it to your self. I own a pair and wear them a lot without getting blisters or anything. So I answered with my experience on the first page and asked to make sure they are not different to my model. That's it.

I respect the fact that Schitzos feet might be different and more sensitive or his pair of boots is somehow different from mine. So he probably needs an insole. If this works: Problem solved. No need for you rants.

Ah, now you are playing the 'straw man' defense- claiming I said something that I didn't.
Go back and read my first post on this thread. I didn't decide that I don't like RW boots 'on a whim', I gave reasons why uncomfortable shoes should, IMHO (and it seems that you don't respect differing opinions) be discarded.

By all means, enjoy uncomfortable boots all you want. I don't have to, and I won't.

Flat Foot Floey

Go back and read my first post on this thread.
Alright.
Yep, there's a reason why I wouldn't want any kind of authentic 'vintage' style footwear. I just don't see the point.

Claiming "any kind of authentic [...] footwear" is always uncomfortable without having any proof for that. They are not (for most of us... but like I said I believe Schitzo they are not right for him).

What's next? A misplaced respect for authentic 'vintage' style underpants?
Nonsensical distraction from the topic.

= Troll. Why didn't I follow my own advice and answered? I don't know.:eusa_doh:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Alright.

Claiming "any kind of authentic [...] footwear" is always uncomfortable without having any proof for that. They are not (for most of us... but like I said I believe Schitzo they are not right for him).

Nonsensical distraction from the topic.

= Troll. Why didn't I follow my own advice and answered? I don't know.:eusa_doh:[/QUOTE

Ok, whatever.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

I'm still thinking of that line from a few pages back, "Modern underwear don't hold water compared to vintage ones." Now there's a pleasant image for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner