Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some new styles for 2008

carldelo

One Too Many
Same question

Lon Goval said:
Bob, I like the darker color on the Tear Drop Brisa Cuenca. Is this available in 7 1/2 at this time, or is it in transit? The color appears to be more forgiving for sweat staining. Should these be ordered through you or the website? The website doesn't note any color or crown choices in the lower price range of the Brisa Cuenca.

Ralph

I have the same question about the dark teardrop, but my size is 7-3/4

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cool

Panamabob said:
Indy.jpg

How is the coloration achived? Does it alter the texture of the straw? Did you say you'll soon have black as well as brown?

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Coloration is achieved in a wet-bath process of dying, but some colors appear more like a paint on the surface than the complete dying of the hat...I'm not a chemist, so I don't understand;)

The straw feels exactly the same, but perhaps is a bit more smooth to the touch.

We should have black up in a few weeks, some more brown, and some other earthy tones.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
Wow, some of these outbacks we've been working on measure out to 7 7/8. Finally, a Panama for bigger sizes.
I was looking at those. I'm just not a big fan of the Outback style. Keep me in mind for those stingies, though!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First off, beautiful hats, I love the dyed.

If the names are still in flux...

When I think "Panama hat" I think coastal. People wearing them by the sea or a river.

Maybe instead of yet another "Outback" named hat, a name like "Inlander" or "Hinterland" or "Veldt"?

Something that implies out in the Blue or Bush, away from the comforts of a port city?

Fedoraphile

New in Town
Hi Panama Bob,

I won a Diamante from you on eBay recently, and love it. I've received numerous, unsolicited compliments on it already (only wore it for two days and probably received favorable comments from perhaps 10 people.)

Now, I have a few questions.

Is the Diamante a Cuenca? Or?

Looking at the hat, I noticed that the weaves are not totally even, and I wouldn't expect them to be, but it made it a bit difficult to figure out the weave count, as it varies depending on where on the hat the counting is done. What's the correct way to figure out the weave count?

Although I like leather sweatbands, I'm very happy that mine comes with the wicking band, as I perspire quite a bit.

I like a slightly tighter pinch. On another straw hat I picked up, I held it over a pot of boiling water and steamed it until the straw was soft and reset the pinch and dents. Is it safe to do this to the Diamante? I'd like to make it look more rakish.

One fellow who admired it wanted to know if I could get him one, but when I checked eBay recently, you didn't have one (at that time) up for auction, so I just gave him your email and phone number and so on for him to contact you directly.

On the eBay listing for the Diamante that I won, it said the hat retails for $180. So of the hats on your Panama Hat Works of Montecristi which hat is the Diamante, as I didn't see it there.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm rapidly becoming an aficionado and am trying to get up to speed!

Fedoraphile

Fedoraphile

New in Town
Panamabob said:
This should have been an email to me!

Sheesh! I hope I haven't broken any rules! That was my first post.

I hope you like what I wrote, as I am durn pleased with the hat.

Now, tell me... Any chance I can find out the answers to my questions?:D

Fedoraphile

Fedoraphile

New in Town
univibe88 said:
Welcome Fedoraphile! I'm glad to hear you are happy with your new Panama hat.

Thanks for the welcome!

Happy? Actually, I'm ecstatic with how good it looks...

Like I said, that hat is great.

Fedoraphile

P.S. As promised, I emailed Panama Bob... I'm gonna repinch that hat... Let's see what he tells me.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
It's cool to hear someone so excited about there hat!!:eusa_clap
And what kind of cigar did you get in your new hat?:D Be sure to visit the connoisseur section of the lounge!:D

Fedoraphile

New in Town
indycop said:
It's cool to hear someone so excited about there hat!!:eusa_clap
And what kind of cigar did you get in your new hat?:D Be sure to visit the connoisseur section of the lounge!:D

That day... hmm... I don't remember exactly, but if it was a Gloria Cubana or a Punch Rare Corojo it wouldn't be unusual.

By the way, Panama Bob was kind enough to respond to my email, and provided me with very helpful answers. Thanks, Robert!

Fedoraphile

Fedoraphile

New in Town
I just noticed that Panama Bob has up for auction on eBay, besides the Diamante, a "Loja" style fedora straw hat. There is a price difference between them. Is the Loja more desirable, and if so, in what way?

Thanks,

Fedoraphile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats