Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some of my later additions.

Wild Root said:
Amateur band was, was, I don't know. :p I have just seen it on some of my radios and can seem to receive low wattage stations broadcasted from the gas station down the road. :rolleyes:

Funny you should mention that. My grandmother's house, now my house, was also a radio station in the 1930s. Where the clothesline is now used to be the antenna pad. My workshop and laundry room was the old station itself. It must have been a really small operation but then again, most small town radio stations back then probably were. I wonder what their programming was and what the channel was. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

Mycroft

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Sorry buddy, I forgot to answer that question.

Vintage radios from the 20's or earlier will take miles of antenna to get two or three stations! Also, at that time there wasn't many radio stations to begin with.

As you get into the early 30's you can pick up more stations because, there was more to hear and also the technology progressed! As you get into the late 30's and early 40's it was much better! Radio had taken off like a runaway train much like computers today! Most sets of 1937-1939 had short wave and AM. Some late 30's RCA sets did tinker with early FM but, it didn't take off till after the war.

Your expensive sets like Scott, Sparton, Zenith and the higher end PHILCO consoles offered multi band sets. They would have AM (Standard Broadcast) Short Wave (long distance band) Police, Aviation and Amateur bands

Police bands were really keen back then! Folks would tune into this band and hear police chases, police reports and fallow the hunt for gangsters and other wanted criminals.

Aviation band was a frequency to hear pilots talk to other pilots, pilots talking with the control tower and such. Also weather reports I'm sure were part of the chatter on that band.

Amateur band was, was, I don't know. :p I have just seen it on some of my radios and can seem to receive low wattage stations broadcasted from the gas station down the road. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps!

=WR=

Thanks, wow that is so cool that you can pick up car chases and police ban's back then. I think you can now get TV stations on FM, but that is only half as cool.

Wild Root

Gone Home
The Police band was on an AM frequency till the 80's I believe. They have moved it to a special FM frequency if you have a police scanner. To bad the police band is obsolete!

=WR=

Mycroft

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
The Police band was on an AM frequency till the 80's I believe. They have moved it to a special FM frequency if you have a police scanner. To bad the police band is obsolete!

=WR=

Yea, too bad. I think the scanners are illegal in Florida.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I know, I'm dreaming!

Any one here ever see the 1936 Sparton model 558? It's known as the "Sled" radio.

This cabinet consisted of cobalt blue mirror glass and was etched with some very smart art deco designs!

This radio can and does sell for $2,100.-$2,500 when in good condition!

What do you guys think?

sparton5586ou.jpg

I want one!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, you know it does! That was a popular style back in those days. When I first showed my folks a photo of a Catalin radio, they couldn't believe the colors or the patterns in which they used! So bright and colorful they thought how could they come from a black and white time period! LoL.

Catalin was an interesting material! Some call it bakelite but it's not bakelite!
Check out the link to find out more about Catalin. They are the hottest and most collectable radios on the market today! Most go for 1,500. to 3,500! Look at some of the models for sale on that site.

=WR=

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
The Sparton sled was reproduced a few years ago by the new "Crosley" radio company, along with the other cobalt mirror Sparton "Bluebird".

The "Sled" had a CD player under the top, with an inexpesive AM/FM radio inside.
I got one of the "Bluebirds" about ten years ago, since the prospect of having an original isn't an easy or cheap task.

The "Maltese Falcon" of Sparton mirrored radios is the "Nocturne", a 40 inch diameter mirrored console. (Expect to pay thirty to fifty grand +)

A few mirrored wallet breakers!

http://www.estesauctions.com/Sagepage1.html

http://www.estesauctions.com/Sagepage4.html

Catalin radios are another wallet killer, they look cool, cost a fortune, and the guys who generally own them "Never" play them. (the heat from the tubes will crack the radio) Couple this with the fact that Catalin slowly shrinks as it ages, and you could well end up with couple of grand worth of disintegrating radio.
(The longterm life span for some early plastics is turning out to be shorter than originally thought.)

It's interesting that for the most part Catalins were for the most part very, very, inexpensive radios in their day. (Sort of a novelty)

Still, they are beautiful looking pieces.:cool2:

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sparton Nocturne

Oh my, I've never seen the peach one! I did see a fine example of the blue Nocturne at Off the Wall antiques in Hollywood on Melrose! They had a $25,000. price tag! They're only what, four or five in the world? Something like that I guess. Any way, great link there friend!

Yes, Catalin does have ill effects when age is considered. It does shrink and have known some people who have some. One couldn't get the chassis out because the cabinet had shrunken around it! No thanks man, I'll stick to wood!

I'd like to have maybe one or two Catalin's in the collection but, yes, I'd only play them for maybe 10 mantes at a time. Sad, they're so pretty!

Funny how the cheap stuff then is now super expensive today!

=WR=

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
W.R., I agree, if I was going to spend really big bucks on a radio, I'd get a Zenith Stratosphere, or one of the more reasonable Zenith "Baby Strats", then you'd have an incredible sounding, beautiful console.

Zenith "Walton's" are another overpriced radio, they are truly nice radios, but the price has gotten out of wack on them. (One that was a real mess on eBay went for $1300.00 a couple of days ago)

I looked at a repaired catalin FADA "Bullet" once, but I just didn't think it was a good buy, if I found one in a garage sale, I think I'd eBay it, and use the cash for a nice Zenith.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Say, that's a swell photo! Do you know what brand that is??? I may have a pretty good guess as to the brand. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that was a promo shot for EA Scott radios. EA Scott was the top of the line in the 30's and early 40's! Chrome plated chassis and the finest wood cabinets! In fact, some of the cabinets were designed to show case the chassis! They were known as the Duesenberg?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s of radio. Some of their chassis started in the 15 tube range and went up from there. But wait! I WAS WRONG!!! I change my guess to RCA!!! I'll tell ya why.

The record he's holding is a Victor record! Also, look at the head sculpture! That was a design they used for they're new "Magic Brain" sets! They came out in 1934 so, he was promoting RCA Victor radios! Here is an ad with that design, check it out!
rcamagiceyead1sz.jpg

Ah, I know what you mean; I'd love to have a Zenith Stratosphere! I forget how many are there in the world? Not many I know that much. They fetch as much as a Sparton Nocturne I believe! Oh, and don't get me started on the "Walton's" set. Such a big deal and I don't understand why. It is a nice looking set but, so are the others! Just because it was the model used on that show it's in the top 5 Zenith radios sought after. $1500? That's cheap!!! I saw a cabinet with a speaker and the cabinet needed major work! Sold for $2500! I saw one that was mint! Had the booklet with it and spare tubes in the boxes!!! Sold for $3500 or so.

Ever see a black lacquered set? I was at my buddy's shop and a guy brought in a 1936 Zenith Console that was all black lacquer like a grand piano! It was original too! Here is a tombstone set that I found on Ebay that retained an original factory Black Lacquer finish.
rarezenith1od.jpg

=WR=

Wild Root said:
I change my guess to RCA!!! I'll tell ya why.

The record he's holding is a Victor record! Also, look at the head sculpture! That was a design they used for they're new "Magic Brain" sets! They came out in 1934 so, he was promoting RCA Victor radios! Here is an ad with that design, check it out!

Root, I've got to hand it to you: that was a fine piece of detective work! It's very cool that you used that odd Deco-like sculpture (which had me pretty puzzled) to figure out what kind of radio Carlos Gardel was promoting. Wouldn't it be great to own one of those sculptures? I wonder if there are any left around?

You inspired me to go back to the website that shows this photo. Here's what it says:

Gardel at RCA Victor, New York, 1935.

"Our recordings will get better and better and will win you over as enthusiastic listeners" promised Carlos Gardel in a message recorded on March 25, 1935.

Wild Root

Gone Home
WHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! I knew it! Man, I know my radios! I was looking at that photo and thought: Why would that be a Scott Radio when he's holding a Victor platter? Hummmmm. Then I saw the deco head thing and then it all clicked!!!

You might be able to find one of those deco head sculptures but, it will cost money seeing that any vintage radio memorabilia is highly collectable from the 30's! I think it's cool looking my self.

Take care,

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran