Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some of my later additions.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Nice to see a piano finished Zenith!

I'll have to photo a funny little gadget I found that my Grandfather bought in the 20's.
It's a small headphone sized speaker that plugs into the tone arm of an acoustic Victor phonograph, then it used the phono's cabinet horn to amplify the sound. The first radio they had must have like an A/K type "box" with out an external speaker, they they would sit around the phono to hear the sound.

I got the phonograph they owned, it's a lowboy Victor 270 from 1924, I found the original papers where it had a lifetime warranty, unfortunately the phonograph (still going strong) outlasted the warranty.:p

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, those piano finishes are smart! You should have seen that 1936 floor model! The dial was great! Even had the early "Shadow Dial".

I even sat there and drew a picture of it. I haven't had time to color or darken it in yet, but this is the model that I speak of.

image1795vu.jpg

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mycroft said:
Nice drawing Root!! Man, the art deco lines in it are perfect. Didn't Bogie have a huge, beautiful radio in his California home?

Thank you Mycroft! I drew that about 10 years ago! It still looks good even to my eyes. Glad you liked it!

Bogart and the rest of the Hollywood elite had large very expensive radios in their homes! We're talking Scott's Zenith's RCA's and what not.

Radio, it's almost better then TV. Well, at one time it was!

=WR=

Mycroft

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Thank you Mycroft! I drew that about 10 years ago! It still looks good even to my eyes. Glad you liked it!

Bogart and the rest of the Hollywood elite had large very expensive radios in their homes! We're talking Scott's Zenith's RCA's and what not.

Radio, it's almost better then TV. Well, at one time it was!

=WR=

Your welcome, did you every watch the Modern Marvels program on Radios, I highly recomed it for you, it tells what happend to radio programing and its declines and rises.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Nice drawing!

I'd like to find a Zenith with an inset grill, one of my friends has a "Strat Cat" that would look nice sitting in front of the grill.

Another good documentary on radio is "Empire of the Air".

Wild Root

Gone Home
Thanks! I drew that wile sitting in the radio shop looking at this customer's set when he was there! I'm glad I had my art stuff with me! I need to finish that drawing soon.

Zenith's are getting hard to find! They're never at any antique shops I go to and well, when they come into my buddy's shop, he puts a $600.00 price tag on them! I'd love to have just one of them shutter/robot dial jobs! Like this
one....

zenith12s265garst4tu.jpg

Love the grill cloth on that one!

=WR=

shamus

Suspended
I actually had always wanted a floor model, and when I was about 20ish or so I was working at this delivery/warehouse and the owner would store his cars and such in the warehouse... One day this Zenith radio was sitting in there all by itself. I asked about it and he said it was his wifes grandfathers. He said it doesn't work and she was tired of it in her house. He asked if I wanted it, 2 minutes later it was in my car. I took all the tubes out, cleaned them up plugged it in and listened to a very nice zenith radio.

Wild Root

Gone Home
That's a great story! I wish I could happen upon a late 30's Zenith like that that no one wanted! Can you believe at one time these radios in the 1970's were going for 5 bucks at swaps and flea markets? Serious! It wasn't uncommon to find Addison and Fada Catalin radios for 5-10 bucks! Now, they have sky-rocketed out of control!

Any way, I'm glad you have that radio Shamus! Hang on to it for as long as you can. But, if you ever tire of it, let me know! I'd make it worth your wile!;)

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran